N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Engine Rebuild Costs ??

General chat related to anything N12.
rosscotron

Engine Rebuild Costs ??

Post by rosscotron »

hi guys i got a quote today on a engine rebuild from PLR in brisbane for standard rebuild and port and polish and added to $2800 does it sound right ?? havent tried any other places yet

NISSAN E15-T - LONG ENGINE
Strip Measure & Report 98.00
Hot Tank & Ultrasonic Clean Parts – Lge Qty 98.00
Reco Head - Petrol 4cyl 194.01
Pressure Test Head - Petrol in-line74.01
Bore & Hone Block – Petrol 4cyl156.00
Deck Block - Petrol 4 cyl 70.00
Measure & Report Main Tunnel - May Require Line Hone36.00
Resize Conrod - Petrol Multiple Units/Each 4 98.00
Con Rod Bush – F&M Petrol Multiple / Ea 4 98.00
Crack Test Crank – Petrol & L/Diesel 33.00
Grind Crankshaft 200.00
Assemble Long Motor To AS4427 (Standards Australia) 770.00
Parts: Engine Rebuild Kit (P) - Piston Set; Ring Set; Main
Bearings; Conrod Bearings; S/E Bushes; Full Gasket Set; Timing
Kit; Water Pump 725.00
Sundry costs; freight, welch plugs, consumables 130.00
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

800 bucks to close, hone and replace little end bushes in 4 conrods..... farrrrk!
Be cheaper to buy 4 new ones from Nissan Id predict.
I can have you made a set of Chrome-moly "H" beam custom rods with ARP fasterners for nearly half that.

Apart from that, the workshop prices are about par.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

Ive been Quoted around $2200 - $2800 BUT.....!

If you have a turbo car you need to have a NEW Turbo on the car If you want the warranty not to be VOID!

Ask them that question before you go ahead with it.

Dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:800 bucks to close, hone and replace little end bushes in 4 conrods..... farrrrk!
Be cheaper to buy 4 new ones from Nissan Id predict.
I can have you made a set of Chrome-moly "H" beam custom rods with ARP fasterners for nearly half that.

Apart from that, the workshop prices are about par.

L8r
Oracle
I think that may be for the set of 4, the figures don't add up if they are each.

Also, which little end bushes do they intend to replace, they are a pressed pin!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yer ur prolly right damo.
I re-read the list that there is a pesky littl "4" hidden in there!!!

"Resize Conrod - Petrol Multiple Units/Each 4 98.00
Con Rod Bush – F&M Petrol Multiple / Ea 4 98.00"

So it seems the "each" refers to 4 items so thats more like it.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

dude i run a business and i never do a breakdown on quotes or invoices..... cos people look at each individual thing and then question they found it cheaper somewhere else, but you might regain that what seeems over priced part somewhere else.

i paid $3500, many moons ago now. but had extra work done. you might save couple hundred hunting around or you may not, i'd go with the shop with good facilities ,engine dyno, do race engines. you not wanting any of that but my opinion is they will employ good builders.
rosscotron

yeah

Post by rosscotron »

well it was just a pricing as well i'll go engine compression test ect if all is good i wont have to get rebuild (red top motor) it is a 2nd car for me so having it off the road isnt a problem.

just seeing what you guys recommend
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Youll find that machining costs are usually much for muchness from reputable shops.
All machining and reco work is assigned an amount of time and so a money value.
its exactly the same in the panelbeating game where R & R a guard, bonnet and headlight assy is all assigned an amouint of time out of a book.
You are entitled to know this BEFORE you have any work commenced. Some workshops might just quote/invoice a fixed figure for a reco covering XYZ work but I like to know precisely what work is actually done and what Im paying for in advance in an itemised account, so id not use such a business.
Sorry Forced, but only offereing a fixed cost, or a single price invoice with no itemised work breakdown implies something to possibly hide.

Where the hidden costs add up is sundry extra work as Forced mentions or unforseen issues that require extra work, like untwisting rods for example and extra performance work such as porting which different builders will take different times to do and so a different timeframe and consequentially, cost!
Not to mention replacement of valves outside of their remachining limits/damage to spring retaining collets, repairing of mushroomed valve ends due to valvebouncing and so-on.

There is a large scope for drama there on both sides and if Forced offered me a ballpark figure to reco and engine, it would ge his very bad if i gave him a head full of fucked valves and that required welding and so-on.
When he comes to give me an inflated invoice, i just go wave my original written quote in his face which by law he has to honour...bad for him if he didnt allow for variations in the original quote, win for me.
And then the reverse is tru if he builds in a margin into the quote and then does virtually none of the work as the head had only just been done up....see what I mean?

Cheers
Oracle
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

My rebuild here in Melbourne was $3000 including pistons and assembly.

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

That seems like a decent price to me..

The turbo issue is one of concern. I know of 2 different engines that were rebuilt and replaced with the "original" faulty turbo's. OR they had been sitting for 8 months and on replacement into the "New' engine - they let go.

It seems if your engine does need rebuilding - and you pay to get it done - the turbo should be closely inspected by the engine builder at the very least..........

Darren
Race it.