N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

A couple of electrical questions

General chat related to anything N12.
Deano Exa

A couple of electrical questions

Post by Deano Exa »

Hey guys, finishing up work for the year, so have some time to work on the exa, cleaning it up etc. Im pedantic as hell when it comes to the 'little things' working on older cars... i think its a reflection of the car's condition and the person attention to detail, when the little things are right... if i get in an old car and the interior light and clock are working... i get a hard on!

So anyways I have a few electrical questions i hope i can get some help with.

1. I have a digital clock installed (series 2), but the exa is a series 1 (dash changed), are the plugs the same? the plug isn't hooked up at the moment so am going to pull the dash off and try to find it, but no point if the plugs aren't the same

2. My tacho keeps dropping out.. i give it a firm slap to the side of its head (right side of dash) and it comes back on, then drops off when it wants to again.

3. My temp gauge on the dash doesn't work. i have a microtech mt4 hooked up which receives the temp signal... just wondering where the signal comes from and would the signal be coming from the wires which are supposed to be hooked up to the dash?

4. I have no accessories on the barrel... i turn key once, nothing, i turn the key twice, stereo, fuel pump (ignition) etc etc all come on at once, then turn 3 is obviously crank over. I want accessories!!

5. This has happened twice now, but in the rain, after i park the car, the pop up lights wont go down. it could be a coincidence that it only happened after driving in the rain, but not sure. I checked the pop-up switch in the cabin, it does nothing (lights don't go up or down) however if i switch it down/off, then try and turn the lights on or off with the stalk, the lights dont go up or down... ie, the switch needs to be in an on position to be able to use the stalk on the column to control them.

Cheers guys, and apologies for the long question list, but thought id post once and get the advice i could then tackle them one by one!

Deano
Deano Exa

Post by Deano Exa »

Anyone have any ideas?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

geez m8, you have issues which are near on impossible to suss vbia text.
Firstly, the MT-4 will be using the EFI temp sensor which is a different animal to the guage temp sender.
The MT-4 will NOT work correctly if you have it connected to a 1 wire temp guage sender.
The EFI sender has a 2 pin connection exactly the same as an injector plug.
The guage sender should be right next to it and have a single wire attached.

The clock wont be any issue despite the plug. it will have 3 wires which will be +-12v and a send from the park lights. (To dim the clock at night)
Youll only need to determine which wires is negative. the other 2 will explain themselves pretty quick.

If you have a tach that keeps dropping intermittently but responds to a technical tap then you already have your answer. Loose connections.

To test your guage and wiring, turn on ignition and ground the guage sender (one wire job) onto the engine. the guage should move all the way and move all the other way when disconnected. the guage is heavily "damped" and will move quite slowly so give it some time.

If you guage responds to this test then you either have a buggered guage sender or the engine is badly earthed.

if no response then you have wiring issues and id guess they are related to the tach intermittent problem.

The acessories issue might just be a blown fuseable link right near the battery.
There will be 3 coloured wires about 60mm long between 2 white plugs. these plugs are right up near the battery or SHOULD be unless some cockhead has modified the loom and removed them.
Disconnect the fuseable links where they plug into the engine bay loom and probe the ende with a test light.
If they test ok trace them into the fusebox and check for blown/missing fuses or missing relays.
There is an ignition and an accessory relay. Listen for them clicking when you hit the key.

if nothing then perhaps the ignition switch itself if the culprit.

I have never had anything to do with EXA popup lights so I cant help you.

There are wiring diagrammes on the website you can use to trace your power dramas easily.
Oh fuckit, I know youll ask....Here: http://www.n12turbo.com/files/Power-system-wiring.jpg

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Deano Exa

Post by Deano Exa »

"Oh fuckit, I know youll ask....Here: http://www.n12turbo.com/files/Power-system-wiring.jpg "

Hahaha, I only ask questions when i can't find the answer for myself on this site or with my research. Or if i spaz out and don't see it.

Nah man, i've already got the manual. Downloaded in pdf and printed it off ages ago... problem is a lot of it doesn't relate to my exa as it has been modified and bastardised over the years...

Ok cool, i'm going to start attacking everything tomorrow. Once i sort out my o-rings for the injectors.

Thanks again bud, i see why they call you the oracle! haha

Cheers

Deano