N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

oil cooler question again, help only haters will understand

General chat related to anything N12.
Forcd4

oil cooler question again, help only haters will understand

Post by Forcd4 »

i am curious still about the stock oil cooler set up and i understand tassupkart has the theory that nissan had the best one and only theory but i'm a tinkerer and i wanna modify it..... so anoyone else with some input would be appreciated, where there red lin is i wanna cut that clean off and where the oil wouls usually enter the stock cooler which would be removed i will have some pipe welded from the outlet to the inlet in my mind bypassing the old arrangment and differing all oil through the new system oil cooler relocated oil filter blah blah...

anyone else achieved somethig close or see any issues with my ideas Image
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I don't think many people have pushed this idea very far, although a few have had it. I think E's interpretation is correct, the oil 'cooler' is actually a heat exchanger, it get cold oil up to temp quickly and keeps the oil is a more stable range for longer. This is perfect for a road car where you want to get in a drive without preheating the engine and where the oil temps don't get too extreme. Remember also this was used for the original t2 that used oil to cool the turbo.

Now if you want to use a car for track like condition then a relocation oil filter and true oil cooler might be a goof idea. By "track like conditions" I mean warm it up slowly first then run it real fast (and therefore hot) for a bit, before sensibly cooling it down before turning off.

If I was going to do that my first step would be to look to removed that entire setup and go to a remote filter and run the cooler in that line, with a new boss on the block, maybe for another E15 that doesn't use the exchanger. Just a thought.

C
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

thanks bud i didnt realise theres was a setup without the et setup, and yeah i've installed remote filter and oil cooler so wanna bin the stock setup all together.... track and strip only car and the occassional blast on a nice day.... i will investigate setups that arent like the et.

cheers
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

why cut it `off,it weighs what 200g,why not just drill and tap it or weld a plate over it,that way you wouldn't need to make a boss to replace it with and you get the oil running the way you want it
just a thought

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Oil cooling is only necessaey IF the oil overheats.
E15's dont have issues with oil overheating, fitted with the stock "cooler" or not.

Forced, if your so desperate to "tinker" with it, then just remove the fucken thing entirely and use a stock oil filter setup off an atmo engine youll most likely find at the tip.

THEN you can fit your big arsed air/oil coolers and shit and run your oil below optimum operating temp all the time if thats what you after, because THAT is what your going to get.

Pull an excellent and simple system off which retains oil temps at close to optimum as possible and replace witrh something even more complicated and prone to failures which promotes oil temps BELOW optimum....... go figure this??? *shakes head and rolls eyes*

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I've not measure oil temps at the track, but after a few serious laps and the components under the bonnet sure get warm... I'd be interested to know if anyone actually has data.....Timmzy?

C
Damo

Post by Damo »

Should be as easy as using a infra red thermo do-hicky and measuring surface temp of the sump after a blast.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

i just got back from a bit of a trip around the traps, croatia london, dubai and after a month i come home and really nothing changes does it, i mean people.... yes i'm destined to tinker with it, whether works, or i put it back to standard just like nearly everything else i do, and when i was abit of a hoon back in the day and was doin hill climbs water, oil, the whole shimozzle was overheating.... freshly built motor, well run in anyway, although i wont be doing driving like that anymore its more about having ideas and working on the engine, i like your thoughts damo just hit it and do temp checks i'd like to see how much oil temps drop i mean the cooler is tiny but its gotta be effective