N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Fuel surge?

General chat related to anything N12.
ETTRBO

Fuel surge?

Post by ETTRBO »

Ok after long wait i have installed new motor to the car,

E15et, stage 3 cam, stock ecu and injectors, obx fpr, fmic, worked motor ect..

Now i thought all was sweet untill i go to take it for a drive,

car in the carport starts runs and revs perfectly, boost up to say 3psi free reving. warm the car to operating temp, back it out on to the road to go for a drive... ok so i start to take off all is ok untill say 1500-2000rpm then it starts surging, jerking, stalling, running like shit.. clutch it and rev it up to clear it up then release clutch at around 3k rpm and it takes off flying till change into 2nd gear then it repeats itself

Now im not sure if its related to the fpr setup or what? i know that there has been few issues like this lately with other members and had a look through threads just could find any relief.

will upload pictures of fpr setup to check to see if i dont it right, thanks in advance guys.
Shane
Project is now finished!
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

Here are a few pics of the setup of the fpr, yellow is the vacume line running into bottom of the inlet manifold, correct me if i am wrong somewhere, dien to get this car rego'd!!!!!

Shot with FE320,X835,C540 at 2010-01-17

fpr is set at 40psi with car not running (how it was set on the car when i brought it
Project is now finished!
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

anyone with a idea on this? are the fuel lines setup wrong? frp lines wrong? been few years sense i have seen motor in the car so i could have done them wrong?
Project is now finished!
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

normally AFAIK you wouldn't generate boost without a load (ie no boost "free reving").

sounds like it could be a fuelling issue or a timing issue and either or both might be caused by the dread ecu....

but also I think that FPR setting is too high and might be causing over fuelling, can't remember the exact number, but I thought it was about 32, not 40....it's been discussed before so do a search.

C
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

36.2 psi is normal setting to put the fpr on, would the extra 3.8psi make that much head ache?
Project is now finished!
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

fix it and then you'll know it isn't the cause......

C
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

set the base fuel pressure with the car running but the vacuum line to the fpr disconnected

that 40psi is probably close anyway, if you start it the vacuum will bring the pressure down
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Timmzy

RE: car

Post by Timmzy »

Hey mate,

With a full-rebuild and head/cam modifications.. Your standard ECU is not going to be able to take too much.

IE with all those engine hardware mods the ECU calibration needs to be changed/updated. 2 ways of doing that: Take your car to someone to be tuned or install an aftermarket ECU, to run all of those whiz bang bits.

With those engine modifications incl aftermarket regulators, etc, you are at the limit of what the standard ECU will be able to control.

Wouldn't want you to blow up a nice new engine now........be careful with it under boost. You need to look at mixtures and temperatures.

Regards,

Darren.
Race it.
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

stock ecu is only in for rego. the way the fpr lines are setup the right way around? as i said it was that way when i brought the doner car
Project is now finished!
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

check my ride, it has some pictures of one of those regs set up correctly.

Darren, He's only using a standard FPR, not a RR FPR, so those mods should be safe enough on standard boost.

C
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

had a look thru your ride but cant really make out which lines go to where ect.. maybe i am looking over my car to much and keep missing what i have done wrong lol just getting to keen to get it to rego then finish off putting mods back on for some good times.
Project is now finished!
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

If I remember I'll check tonight.

C
S.Breezy

Post by S.Breezy »

Im having the same trouble atm when i put my foot down you can boost coming in but my foot is to the floor revs go up , heaps of jerking but the speedo dosnt move and im basically sitting still , im going to change the fuel pump to see if that fixes it
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

i can get intense speed and crazie tourqe steer once it clears up thru 1st gear, then shift to 2nd gear and does the same till it clears up, basicly i cant take off normal or hold a rev range other wise it will surge up and start stalling and breaking down, seems like ignition but all brand new.
Project is now finished!
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

My exa went through a popping stage... sounded like a machine gun! mine was a coil issue but i don't think thats to common...

You say it seems like an ignition problem... an ignition problem an be caused by overfueling. Check your FPR pressure, check your ecu codes... dunno what else...