N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

is stop smoke bad for the car

General chat related to anything N12.
Dans1983

is stop smoke bad for the car

Post by Dans1983 »

hey ppl my ET has started to smoke a bit when im on the acclerator but then i think it could be my tired old turbo , if i decide to put some stop smoke in the engine will it or could it possibly damage anything or is just another myth that it fucks your engine?

Cheers from Dan :x :x :x
Drrat, Drrat and Double Drrrat !! dont just sit there mutley do something!!!
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

That stuff just artificially glugs up the oil M8. makes it "thicker" and so sposedly helps seal up against leaks. there is some merit in it but it aint no magic bullet.
Cant see any reason why it would hurt it unless you rev the crap out of it from dead cold.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
gettu

Post by gettu »

tassuperkart wrote:That stuff just artificially glugs up the oil M8. makes it "thicker" and so sposedly helps seal up against leaks. there is some merit in it but it aint no magic bullet.
Cant see any reason why it would hurt it unless you rev the crap out of it from dead cold.
L8tr
E
the only benefit we got from SS in my m8's E15ET powered B11 was a better-smelling smoke
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Baaaahahahahahahah!\
Ill pay that one!
L8tr
E
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

most aftermarket oil additives are bad for your car.

you are better off putting thicker oil in your car, it will work better than stop smoke.
but make sure you dont go stupidly thick, remember they are a small motor and it is winter atm!

Fix the source of the problem or just leave it be until you can is the best bet...
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Android 360 wrote:most aftermarket oil additives are bad for your car.
Pretty broad statement that one M8.
Whats your basis?

L8tr
E
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

Working in the aftermarket automotive industry for 6 years then an additional two before that in a workshop :P
you learn a thing or two....

I'm not going to name names or anything as I still work in the industry, but.......

a basic rule is that if someone is thinking of using an additive then the issue is already too far gone. If the problem is visible then it's too late for an additive to fix it.

Most additives are 100% BS, at most they may offer a temporary relief from symptoms but they never fix the problem and quite often make a mess of other things.

If your car is smoking then figure out what the problem is.
In the n12s, it's usually one of these:

- turbo oil seal
- piston rings
- blown head gasket (steam)

best way to fix your problem is to get a few quotes on a real repair.
If you leave it too long it will get worse and cost a lot more
If you stick a bunch of weird and wonderful additives in there is will most likely cost you a bunch more too!
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Android 360 wrote: a basic rule is that if someone is thinking of using an additive then the issue is already too far gone.

Well, is that not stating the obvious????? otherwise there would not be any smoke would there!
Android 360 wrote: If the problem is visible then it's too late for an additive to fix it.
No of course not, I cant remember any additive ever claiming that they can cure worn piston rings or rejuvinate valve guides in situ.
Android 360 wrote: ..... at most they may offer a temporary relief from symptoms but they never fix the problem .....................
Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Now were getting down to it! EXACTLY!
And thats precisely what most Stop Smoke additives are meant to do! A temp reduction in smoke or noise. Just like heavier oils, just like you yourself stated:
Android 360 wrote: you are better off putting thicker oil in your car, it will work better than stop smoke.
Really now! Wow!

The additives just artificially "thicken" up the oil to limit the process of that oil leaking past the components that are worn.
The work in much the same way as buying "thicker" oils (like that Penrite stuff for rooted engines) in the first place.
Since these oils are artificially made "thicker or thinner" out of base (thin) stocks and then loaded with additives to fool the oil into behaving as a thicker oil when hot!!!
With your time in the motor industry, surely you know that. You should know how a particular lubricating oil property set is arrived at.
Android 360 wrote: If your car is smoking then figure out what the problem is.
In the n12s, it's usually one of these:
- turbo oil seal
- piston rings
- blown head gasket (steam)
Best way to fix your problem is to get a few quotes on a real repair.
No dispute at all!
However, its all good and well to just airily put it away with a simple "go and get a few quotes".
Nice for some to have enough folding to put the car in and get a full rebuild just to stop some smoke yer?
Those quotes will rarely come much under 2 large and if some oil additive puts off or even just reduces smoking, even for a short while then the product was worthwhile for a dude who might have bugger all money and be on his 1st performance car (which a majority of ET owners are), therefore, not BS at all.

Android 360 wrote: If you leave it too long it will get worse and cost a lot more
If you stick a bunch of weird and wonderful additives in there is will most likely cost you a bunch more too!
Oh come now M8, some oil getting past rings or dribbling down valve guides or making its way past a dynamic carbon seal is not a precurser for imminent disaster. It just means its leaking oil into the combustion chambers....so? You make smoke. Worse case, some coking up in the combustions chamber after extended time.

Lets say the dude just re-ringed and bearing'ed his engine and then ran it for frikken hours in the driveway at a slow idle and then drove the bloody thing around like a granny "running it in" for 3000k's and glazed the bores major time???????
It will chuff out smoke and blow out the breathers for the next 100,000k's and not be a drama other than that.

Some Stop Smoke additive might very well stop that smoke, or at best even just reduce it a bit. Thats not a bad thing.

Ive been involved in the automotive game and oil industry a little bit myself and I can assure you that this stuff actually works to a certain degree and the engines did NOT grenade and so end up costing more. They actually used less oil and smoked significantly less thereby easily justifying the purchase price of a bottle of oil clagger.

In fact the worst case scenario is that nothing really happens at all but damn to just dismiss the stuff, for the sake of 15 bucks or whatever and breezily suggest a full engine rebuild starting at 1500 and going on up, to stop some smoking which might not be from something rooted at all, rather than an oily dynamic seal or a glazed bore or just a leaky valve guide at all is just a bit rich.

Feel free to copy this post and run it by some of your "sources" (only the experienced engine builders dude, not spare parts tarts), and see what they have to say.

I have my firesuit at the ready.

L8tr
E
ETONE

Post by ETONE »

lol cop that, spare part tart lol

love it E

Campbell
Remember, nothings ever BOLT ON.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

tassuperkart wrote:blablabla
i don't get it...
are you agreeing, or are you trying to take the piss out of me?

if you are trying to take the piss out of me then what the fuck?
If you are agreeing then why did you bother with all that?

Oil manufacturers put a lot of effort and money into getting their oils 'just right'. Do you really think it's a good idea to go and add shit to it?

Put up with the smoke or get it fixed.
Don't add unnecessary shit that won't work anyway, it's a waste of time and money.

If you can't afford to fix your car then you shouldn't own an n12... get a rwd corolla...
Dans1983

Post by Dans1983 »

hey Android who are you directing your "if u cant afford to fix your car you shouldnt own a n12"comment at?? i didnt say a fucking thing mate ... so i dont need you saying that shit if its directed at me, i simply asked about stop smoke for fuck sake... geez why all the negative energy in this place ...
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

Well now I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
And if I'm the man,
Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

Dans1983 wrote:hey Android who are you directing your "if u cant afford to fix your car you shouldnt own a n12"comment at?? i didnt say a fucking thing mate ... so i dont need you saying that shit if its directed at me, i simply asked about stop smoke for fuck sake... geez why all the negative energy in this place ...
aimed entirely at "mr.i'm trying to prove something" aka tassuperkart
Dans1983

Post by Dans1983 »

ok no worries android glad to clear that up... im like what the fuck did i do ?
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

haha :P