N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Factory Boast control valve

General chat related to anything N12.
Callumgw

Factory Boast control valve

Post by Callumgw »

Guys,
Just found out that the SW20 MR2 turbo has a factory electronic boost control valve. It is stepped and bleeds a set amount of air , giving higher boost, when a voltage is applied.

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... tem/26.htm

more info:

Background:
The turbocharger wastegate on the Mr2 is set to 7psi. Whenever certain factors are met (such as the engine being cold), the engine control computer will shut the T-VSV and limit maximum boost to 7psi. As these factors disappear, the computer opens the T-VSV and bleeds off some of the pressure on the wastegate. This allows boost levels of up to 12 psi on certain stock cars. Failure to disable the T-VSV with a manual boost controller allows excess pressure to bleed away from the wastegate and keeps it from opening fully. This can lead to situations known as boost creep (boost levels gradually increase above what you have set) and boost spikes (instantaneous boost above your set level). Neither of these situations are desirable. Additionally, with the T-VSV open, boost bleeds off of the wastegate instantaneously when the throttle is closed – this is due to the ‘open or closed’ nature of a ball and spring MBC. This can be a very abrupt and violent occurrence that is best avoided.

Procedure:
The T-VSV is located below the intake manifold. It can be disconnected at the VSV or at the wastegate. Details for both procedures are detailed herein.
At the wastegate: Disconnect the hose leading to the wastegate from the T-VSV (fig 2). Place the yellow plug provided in the hose and secure in place with factory hose clamp. Place nylon cap provided over the fitting on the wastegate and secure in place with supplied wire tie.
At the VSV: The VSV is a light blue canister with two vacuum lines entering it, and it is on the driver’s side of the car. You will have to lift the car and get underneath in order to access the T-VSV. One vacuum line entering the T-VSV comes from a small metal pipe located on the left side of the manifold. The other line goes to the turbo wastegate. Remove the line going to the wastegate and plug it with the provided yellow nylon plug. Cover the port on the VSV with the supplied nylon cap and secure in place with wire tie provided.
n12sumfin

k

Post by n12sumfin »

okay i understand but what use is this?? you wouldn't install this to an e15et just get a turbo tech.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

It'll probably be cheaper to get these bits from a wrecker, it looks like factory gear, not super bling, and allows for simple two step boost control, easy to select from a cockpit button.
n12sumfin

Post by n12sumfin »

each to there own, personally i would get the $35 boost controller off ebay lol. there is a thread about it on sau.
n12sumfin

Post by n12sumfin »

baz

Post by baz »

turbotech boost controller ftmfw, don't spike at all
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

baz wrote:turbotech boost controller ftmfw, don't spike at all
except when the ball goes rusty after not being used for so long. :D

good controllers though. they help spool up time aswell.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

LOL, I just noticed the typo in the title...

I guess there's quite a few ricers who could use a boast control valve... : p
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

my school teacher designed and makes the turbotech boost controllers, good bloke
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

digginganddirt wrote:my school teacher designed and makes the turbotech boost controllers, good bloke
tell him thanks from me. good simple and cheap. they work well.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

but there are also manual and single stage.
The point was this factory device is a two stage electronic boost controller.

C
84ETPULSAR

Post by 84ETPULSAR »

that sounds like a great idea i wonder how much it would be from a wreckers? probly alot less than an aftermarket 2 stage electronic controller

is it only on that model MR2?
Damo

Post by Damo »

i'm pretty sure any turbo'd car post 1990 has some form of boost control solenoid. Should get the parts for less than $10 from any wrecker as long as they don't know what its for!!!

Damo
Last edited by Damo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
84ETPULSAR

Post by 84ETPULSAR »

Cheers Damo,

deffinately gonna check this out, shouldnt be too hard to hook it all up,

it owuld be like that DIY boot controller set up that is in the technical part of this site, just its factory made, cool cool.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Just make it simple by Teeing in 'your' bleeder, and have the solenoid open and close the bleed off line. Peice of cake.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y