N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Alternator question

General chat related to anything N12.
Forcd4

Alternator question

Post by Forcd4 »

hey guys just a question about et alternator, on the back of mine i have couple terminals, one obviously for the battery one that isnt labelled that has a spade lug type terminal and the other is a pin type terminal labelled D+ my quesion is, is the battery terminal the only cable that needs to be connected to be operational? my understanding is the D+ terminal is for the dash charge light which im not interested in..... but the spade type terminal is a mistery to me.... can anyone stroll out to thier car and just pull these 2 conectors off their alternator and tell me if car still runs ok? haha any help appreciated :o
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Sorry M8 but you better be very interested in the dash light.

The alternator will not charge without it.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

yeah but what about the 7 volt terminal? is that an output? like from the star point of the windings so i dont need anything on that pin? whats the brains trusts at nissan thinkin when the reliability of ya alt charging comes down to a globe? ill just wire a resistor in there she'll be sweet, its just the 7 volt term got me puzzled
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

No, its not the Nissan brains trust at all.

Its Bosch actually, along with just about every other alternator manufacturer in the world.

Why is this such a problem given most cars in the world seem to rely just fine on a globe and have no dramas?????????

Perhaps have a look at the wiring diagramme might shed more light on this other pin.
Why not ask an auto electrician?

L8tr
E
pwinkel20

Post by pwinkel20 »

hi just so happens that im an auto electrician.... the half voltage u refer to is most commonly used for driving the tacho in most cases, pretty sure its not with the et's but i'd have to look at the wiring diagram to confirm this.
hope that helps
pwinkel20

Post by pwinkel20 »

oh the other thing that terminal can do is switch a relay or wat not to say the engine is revolving.
The the light is very very important without it, it wont work...yeah sure u can use a resistor, that'll will work fine, but wat happens when the alternator stops charging???
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Bwaaaaahahahahaha the resistor warms up, quite a bit really.....Thats about it!!

L8tr
E
pwinkel20

Post by pwinkel20 »

that was a rhetorical question, i was trying to point out the light being a good indicator
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Its cewl Pwinkel.
Hehehehe, I wasnt aiming my smart remark at you M8!!!!!!!

What you say is correct.

L8tr
E
TravsET

Post by TravsET »

the warning lamp completes the circuit. if the output voltage is higher or lower than battery voltage it will light up the warning light. the 7 volt tap is used (by toyota) as a fuel pump signal to trigger the something a rather. spin it up on the bench, determineyour D+, warning terminal and scrap the 7 volt one. easy as that. or just put a commodorev8 130 amp alt on there with an re60 reg. works a treat.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Trouble with using overly large alternators without just cause, or an overly large battery to match is they have a habit of shortening significantly the life of the battery.

On initial startup, the big arsed alternators tend to shove an equally big arsed rate of amperage up the batteries bum, basically waayyyy overcharging it for a short while.

Newhoo
L8tr
E
TravsET

Post by TravsET »

not if you run a delkor dc31 battery like me! lol. for you who dont kknow what that is, its sizejust fits nice in a large battery box. 190 mins reserve. looks big, feels big, is big!