Octane number

General chat related to anything N12.
velardejose

Octane number

Post by velardejose »

Hi
Talking to a friend I found out that our local octane rating is ron
And us forums quote pon
This is the reason why I couldn't advance my timing further without knocking...
They quote 93 oct (pon), and I run 90 oct (ron)
Their 93 oct would be 97 oct in my country...
What octane rating method do you use in your country?
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Refe ... ONPON.html
Peace
Turbo carbed e16 stock CR toyota ct20 turbo stock HG @10 psi
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Pretty sure it's RON...

Yep.

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel through a specific test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2,and even deliver 98. (ron)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

martini 110 racing= fast ;)
gettu

Post by gettu »

Kimmo wrote:Pretty sure it's RON...

. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2,and even deliver 98. (ron)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
and even 99+ (shell v-power)
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

if you read the warning on the Shell V power bowser and website you'll realise that you shouldn't use it.

i looked into methanol fuels and there is a BIG warning about using them on cars older than, get this... 2004... mainly because our older style rubber fuel hoses are not resistant to ethanol corrosion, where as newer cars have been designed so their rubber fuel parts (hoeses, pump seals, injector seals etc...etc... dont turn to black slop with ethanol form new fuels.

i dont know how serious you need to take this, but a fuel company doesn't warn you about the dangers to the invironment from using all this dinosaur juice (my work for fossil fuels, lol) continually, but they do warn about this. as i believe fuel company's greatly understate their warnings, this might actually hold some water..

my advice, dont use any of the 5% or 10% ethanol fuel in your E15ET...
Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
gettu

Post by gettu »

Ben Hewitson wrote:if you read the warning on the Shell V power bowser and website you'll realise that you shouldn't use it.

i looked into methanol fuels and there is a BIG warning about using them on cars older than, get this... 2004... mainly because our older style rubber fuel hoses are not resistant to ethanol corrosion, where as newer cars have been designed so their rubber fuel parts (hoeses, pump seals, injector seals etc...etc... dont turn to black slop with ethanol form new fuels.

i dont know how serious you need to take this, but a fuel company doesn't warn you about the dangers to the invironment from using all this dinosaur juice (my work for fossil fuels, lol) continually, but they do warn about this. as i believe fuel company's greatly understate their warnings, this might actually hold some water..

Neste Oils was also selling fuel downmixed with ethanol, because they got tax advantage, hasn't caused problems.
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

i heard ethanol corrodes alloy
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
ETEEZA

Post by ETEEZA »

Ben Hewitson wrote:if you read the warning on the Shell V power bowser and website you'll realise that you shouldn't use it.

YOU CAN USE SHELL....only if you modify you VALVE SEATS.....if you dont modify them and you use the fuel it will most likely screw your engine within a year or 2.....if you modify them,all should be OK.....trust me all the big boys in the area use SHELL V-POWER,all of them are old V8's,and all had to modify valve's and so on....good luck
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

all e15et's have hardened valve seats, its not the issue
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

yeh tru old v8s are for leaded where as all E15ets are built to handle unleaded
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I wonder if that warning carries onto other Ethanol fuel?
I've been using 10% mix in the ol' VR SS for about 4 years from Bogas in town. Mainly coz it's cheap and I'm a tight ass, but once it's cleaned out the fuel system and I changed the filters it seems to run really well on it.
BTW, Car is a '94 with an ol' skool cast 5L V8.
Might go and check all the hoses and stuff tomorrow...... Now you've got me all paranoid and shit. :wink:
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Any car with an alloy head is fine for unleaded, IIRC. Hardened valve seat inserts go with the territory.

But V-power has ethanol? I didn't know that; never noticed any warnings...

Bugger, I've been using the stuff a while. Good for more go...
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

There are 2 different types of V Power. One is just the new name for Optimax.