N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Error code 23

General chat related to anything N12.
N12turbo_DK2300

Error code 23

Post by N12turbo_DK2300 »

Hi
I'm getting error 23 (idle switch issues) on the stock ECU (CECU), but only when engine is running (!!), is this normal? Can the error 23 indicate other errors, then issues with the idle switch?

Tested/done:
Key ON: Error 23. Depress pedal, and back in neutral/idle: Code 23 clears
Engine on: Error 23. Depress pedal, and back in neutral/idle: Code 23 remains
Tested pin 18 and 25: As expected with continuity, and it is as expected

I've looked through Haynes, and the workshop manuals, but only found error 23 to be regarding the idle switch... but can other sensor or idle switch affect it?

Car: European N12 Turbo.

Best regards.
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Error code 23

Post by KiloooNL »

N12turbo_DK2300 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 am Hi
I'm getting error 23 (idle switch issues) on the stock ECU (CECU), but only when engine is running (!!), is this normal? Can the error 23 indicate other errors, then issues with the idle switch?

Tested/done:
Key ON: Error 23. Depress pedal, and back in neutral/idle: Code 23 clears
Engine on: Error 23. Depress pedal, and back in neutral/idle: Code 23 remains
Tested pin 18 and 25: As expected with continuity, and it is as expected

I've looked through Haynes, and the workshop manuals, but only found error 23 to be regarding the idle switch... but can other sensor or idle switch affect it?

Car: European N12 Turbo.

Best regards.
Error 23 is the TPS, on the throttle body.
It's basically either open or closed. You want it to open as soon as you put your foot on the pedal more or less.
Nothing to worry about, it won't change a bloody thing with the engine running. The ECU isn't that smart.
N12turbo_DK2300

Error code 23

Post by N12turbo_DK2300 »

But I guess it will adjust the timing, knowing when the engine is idling, and when you add load?
Anyway, when I reserved time to look deeper into it, wanting to do it straight at the ECU (short the two pins going to the TPS), the issue has disappeared again (just to be replaced with issues from the knocking/detonation sensor...).
Now the car is in winter storage, it is 2degree Celsius outside, and further investigation will have to wait to spring.
Thanks for the reply though :)

I will add to this post in 2021.
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Error code 23

Post by KiloooNL »

N12turbo_DK2300 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:32 pm But I guess it will adjust the timing, knowing when the engine is idling, and when you add load?
Anyway, when I reserved time to look deeper into it, wanting to do it straight at the ECU (short the two pins going to the TPS), the issue has disappeared again (just to be replaced with issues from the knocking/detonation sensor...).
Now the car is in winter storage, it is 2degree Celsius outside, and further investigation will have to wait to spring.
Thanks for the reply though :)

I will add to this post in 2021.
Yes - sorry I forgot about the timing, I must have been elsewhere... haha. It will make a change to the timing yes.
If I recall, if you know the TPS is good, then put your foot on the accelerator while switching the car to accessories and this should clear error 23 from the ECU.