N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Little Red Terror! (Pictures)

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Reswob

Little Red Terror! (Pictures)

Post by Reswob »

Name: Call me Reswob

Year/ Model: 1985 Nissan Pulsar N12 GL

Colour: Bright red! Oh my gosh so bright red it give me a migraine if I look to closely at it!

Period of ownership: Since January 2010

Performance: Stock

Engine Mods: Stock

Interior Mods: Um....My late Uncle Phil bolted a mini rotating fan to the floor. You plug it into the cigarette lighter. It's my air conditioning! :-)

Exterior Mods: Stock

Wheels: Stock

Future Plans: Planning to keep it stock and use it as a run about. I might paint a mural all over it when the original paint fades...maybe dinosaurs as I am a student of palaeontology.

Pics: I finally managed to borrow a friend's camera and take some photos. However, they are a little fuzzy and the colours aren't true to what they are in reality. They seem kind of faded. At some stage I will show you the engine bay.

Just gotta love that familiar face. :)

I don't know what warped the rear bumper but it's still pretty solid. I've lost both rear hubcap things. I smashed one trying to reverse park when I was still learning how to work the gears and I lost the other one when I got it serviced.

The seat covers are so 80's and seem to have been on the car since new. The steering wheel cover seems to be a virtual necessity. The vinyl fried my hands in the 40 degree heat. I just love my mini-fan. Really takes the edge off the summer heat. :D

Read on if you want to know more about the history of this car...

I am the third generation of my family to own this car. The elderly parents of my Aunt bought it off a family friend, as they were moving overseas. The car was 6 months old at the time. They kept the car until their deaths in 2007-08. During the whole time that they owned it, they only used it to go to the shops and back. Therefore by the time it came into my possession, it only had about 150,000 km on it.

The whole time they owned it, they kept it garaged. The exterior and interior looks as new. The plastic interior is virtually undamaged and intact. The seats have always had covers on them, (The covers are very 80's, are starting to tear and I will have to replace them soon.), so the upholstery is almost perfect. The paint is original and still shiny.

My aunt's parents died within a short time of one another after long, protracted illness that may have lasted ten years. They gave the car to my uncle in accordance to their will. Since he already had a car he used this pulsar as a golf caddy on the weekends. I think it's been sitting in the garage for the best part of the past decade or longer.

My Father bought the car off my Uncle for me. My uncle told me the rattling was no issue....that turned out to be a cracked exhaust manifold. The car had multiple problems when I took it to be re-registered that cost a lot of money to fix. The repair list was three pages long! I was probably ripped off but I am a 23 year old girl with not much mechanical knowledge. I needed the pink slip quickly, so I had to bite the bullet. I hope that by joining this site people can help me make wise decisions about repairs. The next lot of repairs sounds expensive. I will mention them elsewhere and ask for advice.

It has responded well to maintenance (I don't think it was ever professionally serviced at least in the past ten years). When I got it back from the repair shop it was like a different car, as if at least 6 years of wear stripped away. It seems more powerful and zippy now. It appears to have more power in the lower gears as a 91 Corolla and to be just as fuel efficient as a Toyota Echo. I get consistent 6 litres per 100 km. That was on an engine out of tune with dirty oil.

Despite the neglect this little thing endured, it has given me no problems in terms of reliability. It started every time even though all the spark plugs were failing. I used it to move house at quick notice. I loaded it up really heavily, tore down the M5 at 100 km/hr and it did not give me a problem despite the fact that it had the busted exhaust manifold, leaking rear brake cylinders, oil leaks and a million other things going wrong. I did have to brake really heavily too. The clutch is starting to slip. It has allowed me to escape two very nasty domestic situations since I relocated to Sydney from Tasmania, one of which I had to bring to the police. This car is my lifeline! I would feel trapped without it!

It's funny to think that when this car rolled off the production line, my parents were newlyweds thinking of babies. The car is a year older than me. This is my first car and my first manual as well. My Uncle gave me lessons on how to drive it for four days and I have had to adapt alone from there onwards. The funny thing is that the instant I drove this car, I felt like I was reunited with an old friend. I have a connection with this car, like I can understand it's language.
Last edited by Reswob on Tue May 03, 2011 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
The legends we write help us grasp the truth.
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Hey Reswob

Welcome to the forum. Great story, cars worth more to you on a personal level that it is worth money, pretty much like all the cars on this forum. Don't wait too long to get a camera, members love pics. Sign in to photobucket as well so you can upload them to here. I'm know you'll get plenty of advice on here, most of it when it's not wanted and with absolutely nothing to do about what you ask, but so long as you have a good sense of humor and are quite prepared to tell someone to f--- off when they annoy you, you'll have a ball. If you have the same sense of worth as our other famous Tasmanian who you'll get to know, you will do very well here. Have a great time and don't forget the pics.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Hi xr6eta,

Ha ha! Not even sure what sort of camera I should buy. I'm going to try to get into a bit of nature photography. I'm a bit bummed at the state of the car at the moment. The mechanic told me I can't take it to the Blue Mountains because of the clutch slipping under heavy load. By the sounds of it, it's going to be an expensive repair. I plan to ask for advice about that.

Cars are always worth more to me on a personal level. I grew up bumping around rural NSW in the family Datsun 120Y. I'm actually a Sydneysider by birth, just been in Tasmania for the past 11 years. I know these cars can be good if you look after them. Besides I don't like newer cars. They have no personality and they hook the computer up to everything, so it all goes pear-shaped. I don't want to deal with the notorious "engine check" light. They just sound like a different set of problems to the ones I already have.

Talking about Tasmanians. I had a look at the rides of some of the Tasmanian members here, I swear I used to walk past those vehicles on the way to uni. It's a small world.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

welcome to the forum. any question no matter how silly you think it is ask anyway. we are more than happy to help :wink:
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Thanks Ash, :-)

Just walked around my car today before I headed off to uni to attend my exam. The tyre pressure is pretty low....I have a feeling the cracks are getting deeper. I need to get all tyres replaced. Hopefully they won't try to rip me off like they seem to enjoy doing to young women.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Reswob wrote:Thanks Ash, :-)

Just walked around my car today before I headed off to uni to attend my exam. The tyre pressure is pretty low....I have a feeling the cracks are getting deeper. I need to get all tyres replaced. Hopefully they won't try to rip me off like they seem to enjoy doing to young women.
:D

You have just written the magic words needed to keep yourself highly popular around here! Best of luck. :wink:

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Baaahaha you should have just said you were a creaky old grannie, then you would have only had to fend off Damo and myself...oh and possibly XR6ETA (Glen) who, (according to legend) tends to like old battlaxes as well!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

I DRIVE like grandma. Seriously, what did you think I was? I was born old....but I do have an inclination for mechanics, despite being mostly clueless.

You've probably seen me Grandma-driving about Hobart. I was the girl in the beaten up aquamarine VK Commodore station wagon blithely ignoring the young blokes in the next lane trying to catch my attention.
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Reswob wrote: You've probably seen me Grandma-driving about Hobart. I was the girl in the beaten up aquamarine VK Commodore station wagon blithely ignoring the young blokes in the next lane trying to catch my attention.
Oh you would've driven past Tass a number of times then.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Haw haw haw. Thing is i would have been that old silver haired grandfather fart in a ratty looking Navara ute she was successfully avoiding................

Furthermore, Im a dual qualified tradesman, Motor mechanic and aircraft maintenance engineer...........
. I still wouldnt have had a chance tho eh?...........................! *sighs* Ahhh iffen only:
1: i was 30 years younger
2: single
3: had know....lolol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Ha ha, I am sure I've seen you around, Tasdude. Impressive qualifications. What's a duel tradesman?.....I've done a Bachelor of Science as of yet in my short life, if they counts for anything.

You probably wouldn't have noticed me. I always dress shabby, over-sized style in tatty jeans and hiking boots half burnt from a campfire. I have noticed that women, at least, mistake me for a guy at first glance with my broad shoulders and rolling confident gait. Tomboys like me do not attract much male attention. My personality is too strong.

When I was in the VK Commodore some dudes would come cruising up but I'd just ease off on the gas and drive more like a Grandma. I prefer it when they overtake me so I can keep an eye on their antics. By the way people reacted that must have been been strange behaviour for a Commodore driver. It was a very distinctive car. It had the panels of the front passenger door dented badly where my Mum hit the concrete letterbox and the font bumper was done up with duct tape

In my Sydney guise I guess I'm the abused girl 23 years young, in the 24 year old neglected car. Guess we compliment each other. :-)
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place, people over here know just about everything there is to know about the various versions of the N12 Pulsar!
xr6eta wrote:Don't wait too long to get a camera, members love pics.
You can say that again. :wink:

Can't wait to see some photos! :D:D

Sounds like you were born for your Pulsar, take good care of it! :D

Cheers,
Jan
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Hey there : )

A palaeontologist, eh? Sweet. Science rocks.

And you write pretty well; I'll welcome you with open arms on that basis alone.

Although the possessive its has no apostrophe, cause the contraction of it is already has dibs...

: p
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

My my my Reswob....or is that Bowser?
You have (somewhat) impressed he, who is close enough to the unimpressable. That is indeed a philip in your favour!!!Kimmo is a prickly character and you have piqued his interest lmao!!!!!

"Dual trades": I have trades certificates for both trades is all. I am first and foremost an aeroplane mechanic and my qualifications and experience with planes were recognised by the NSW authoroties (Motor vehicle repair industry council) and i was issued with a tradesmans certificate for motor mechanics.
I worked in Sydney as a mechanic in the early '80s mostly on Mazdas and rotors and back then, you had to be a recognised tradesman to work in an accredited workshop.

Nope, I have no recollection of a bashed up Commonwhore bombing around with a young lady at the wheel tho. To be honest, I have no particular recollections of ANY Commo's so sry!

Hahahaha, Im not buying the old granny image ur projecting either!!!!! prolly a glamour/model type Id predict!!!!!!!

Living down in the Huon Valley means i spend very little time in town apart from passing thru for work so unlikely I would have noticed.
You may have seen me thumping up Davey and down Macquarie Sts in his thing carrying "that" stuff :

L8r
E
Reswob

I need to reshod my steed

Post by Reswob »

AAaahh! I need to do some research on cameras. I don't know which one I should buy...I will have to drive to Bondi Junction. The Sydney traffic intimidates me. It's a world away from Tasmanian traffic, which is non-existent. The dodgy indicators don't help my psyche.

I have learnt to drive this car very quickly but I am like a bird that has just freshly fledged. I still wear the P plates. I don't stall at the lights....much...Maybe I was born for this car, I don't know. I prefer older cars, easier to understand. Several people have told me or asked me why I haven't dumped my "piece of junk." But it's my junk and I like my junk. :-) I had a ride in a mid 90's Commodore today and that was boring. No interesting sounds....like the dashboard dancing in an amusing fashion because of my loathsome clutch control.

Hey Kimmo, writing skill is part of the graduate attributes. I will be writing a 90,000 word thesis after all. As well as being a palaeontologist to be, I am an author, illustrator and palaeo-artist. I have a blog at http://reswobiandreaming.blogspot.com if you are interested.

Very perceptive Taskartman. Reswob is Bowser spelt backwards. That was a product of childhood bullying that I turned to my favour.

So that means you've got a pilot's licence, doesn't it? By the sounds of it you were here in Sydney working on Mazdas when I was born.

I used to drive on Davy and Macquarie Streets on my way to uni as I lived on the eastern shore. The Commodore would rattle all the way like a Metro Bus. There is a good chance I would have seen that monstrous truck and hoped it would stay as far away from me as possible!

Ah, you probably won't buy the grannie image, although I did wear my reading glasses around my neck for some time until I broke too many specs. Age is mindset, as you probably know. You said you are determined not to grow up! It's all about mileage. I am a good reflection of my car, externally looks good but under the hood things are aging and falling to bits. I feel about 40 these days but more young and stupid as time goes on.

I am by no means a glamore/model type. Is this wishful thinking? Such girls know how to flaunt themselves and are extroverted. I was the ugly nerd that the boys used to throw stones at, if you understand how this all starts at high school. Say if you had a meet with your ETs and EXAs, if I was the former sort of girl I'd probably be in heels with some tiny skirt talking to all the guys. The reality is that if I showed up to this kind of event that would be only in circumstances where curiosity outweighs shyness. I would park on the very periphery of the group, sit on the bonnet and observe what everyone was doing. I may wander about but I'd only speak when spoken to.