N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Boost Issues

General chat related to anything N12.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

If it's the normal aussie manifold you should have a hose from the canister going to a point at the rear right hand side of your plenum. There will be a 90 degree fitting.
SashET

Post by SashET »

Alright, I found the stupid thing. Funnily enough, it was starring me in the face the whole time. There is only one hose that connects to the throttle body (before the butterfly) and its right there.

The f#*ked thing about this hose is that it goes into one of the metal lines that accompany the fuel rail (you know, on of the two that go under the throttle and over to the other side of the engine) and then simply stops, like nothing connected to it. I pulled the hose of the throttle body and blew in it (minds out of the gutter gentlemen!) and fresh air came out on the other side, I couldn't believe it. I grabbed a hose and connected it stright to the top of the charcoal canister, took it for a drive and its much better, less popping and farting. I'm wondering if this could have been making the engine run lean this whole time. If the engine gets more air than what is read by the afm (i.e. under vacuum), would this not make it run lean? Under boost I don't think it would have been a problem as boost would have come pissing out that little hose. Anyway, still no boost in first gear so I'm starting to think Evan might have been right and the turbine side of the turbo may be rooted. I'll have to wait and see. Anyone here ever use a 200sx (s14) stock intercooler before? Its 300x240 (overall) and 180x220 (core size). Will she handle 14 - 15psi? Some pics of it.

Cheer's for the help fellas.
Sash
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

i wouldent like to run any more then 12 psi threw that cooler and thats at nite as it just wont cool the air well enough. and i wouldent go over 10 psi in the day unless its a cool day.
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

ME! wrote:Im pretty sure that line off the charcoal canister jumps onto one of the runner lines attached to the fuel rail and then somewhere on the other side. The pictures confirm this.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

bah that'll do 12psi easy. It'd just get heat soaked quicker thats all.
SashET

Post by SashET »

Sweet, 12psi it is then!
exanator

Post by exanator »

wats heat soaked?? and how would i be able to reduce the heat of the intercooler piping in the engine bay????
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Heat soak is when the intercooler has reached (or exceeded) it maximum efficiency and juat isn't doing any good anymore.
To stop heat ingress into the intercooler pipes in the engine bay:
get some fibreglass wrap, like you see on performance exhausts in the engine bay.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

glenn is spot on.

much like what ive done here

Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Dude have a look at Shane's pic above. His hose from the canister is red and it goes to the top right of the plenum.
SashET

Post by SashET »

Thats the second hose (i.e. below the one I was interested in) on the canister. Besides, I found out where she goes Paul, you were right with an earlier post. Cheer's.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Finally got a torch and sussed it out. One hose runs back to the petrol tank. One goes to the right of the plenum and the thin one has to have vacuum. Mine is hooked to the throttle body on my Jap manifold. If it was just open to the air you would have been a bit lean.
exanator

fibreglass wrap

Post by exanator »

does that fibreglass wrap really work???

isnt it only used for exhausts?????
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Re: fibreglass wrap

Post by The Renegade »

exanator wrote:does that fibreglass wrap really work???

yeah, it works. I've seen it on an exhaust and you can touch it after it's been running hard for a while.

The principal idea is that it's a really really good thermal insulator. And if it can keep all that exhaust heat inside the exhaust, then I'm pretty sure it'll keep engine bay heat out of your cooler piping.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
exanator

Re: fibreglass wrap

Post by exanator »

The Renegade wrote:
exanator wrote:does that fibreglass wrap really work???

yeah, it works. I've seen it on an exhaust and you can touch it after it's been running hard for a while.

The principal idea is that it's a really really good thermal insulator. And if it can keep all that exhaust heat inside the exhaust, then I'm pretty sure it'll keep engine bay heat out of your cooler piping.
understood NOW WHY DO THEY WRAP INTERCOOLER PIPING WITH IT IF ITS MADE FOR KEEPING HEAT IN??? DOES IT ALSO KEEP HEAT OUT AND IS IT PROVEN??? this stuffs pretty expensive so jst wanna do some home work b4 i invest!!!