N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

tappets

General chat related to anything N12.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Lol. Cheeky bastard.
Actually, i do tappets in a very old fashioned and methodical way.
I always do them hot....VERY hot.

I pull the sparkplugs out.

Put the car in 3rd gear on a level surface and release the handbrake.

I start from one end of the motor Usually # 4 or RHS zorst valve) No reason, I just do.
Pull/push the car along until the peak of the cam lobe is pointing directly opposite (away) from the follower face.

Adjust.

Repeat for every other valve in turn, individually rolling the car back and forward to point the cam lobe directly away from the follower.

Slower than the funky method in the book but usually gets the job done.

For pesky random noisy tappest after adjustment, I usually start the engine with the rocker cover off to listen for noisy tappets with a mechanics stethescope ( a length of heater hose!) It will completely isolate the noisy tappet.
Make up some lengths of cardboard to act like a sort "funnel" front and back of the head to catch flicked off oil. Youll work it out.
Dont rev the fucker or oil will fly everywhere.

There....... Old mans technique.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:Lol. Cheeky bastard.
Actually, i do tappets in a very old fashioned and methodical way.
I always do them hot....VERY hot.

E

:roll: :roll: not everything is about you old man :roll: :roll: :wink:

"Old mate" was supposed to indicate 'aubrey', the initiator of the thread! I figured he would tell us what he did wrong, then the correct method would fix his self inflicted problem.

Anyhooo....

For reference, I used to do the same as 'Old man' (yes that's you E), but found it could be done quite a bit quicker if the manual is followed.
You can set the valves in two rotations of the engine. When the engine is at operating temp, shut it down and in 3rd gear, roll the car till you get TDC #1. If it is on compression stroke, you will be able to check #1 inlet and exhaust, #2 inlet and #3 exhaust. Then roll the car forward one engine rotation which will give you TDC #1 again, but this time on the exhaust stroke. From here you can check #2 exhaust, #3 inlet and #4 inlet and exhaust.
Make sure you do all the tappet nuts back up tight. And the feeler guage should slide smoothly with the slightest amount of drag from the interference of the valve and adjusting grub screw. Keep the feeler as flat as possible to the valve or you will get a inaccurate feel.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
aubrey

Post by aubrey »

I have adjusted tappets, but they are still making noise, also i have noticed that the rockers are not sitting flush on top of valve stems, they are sitting about a 1/3rd off to 1 side. 1 side towards the dissy n the other to the pulley end. Is this normal ? :roll:
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

It is....WRONG
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

You will probably need to pull the rocker assembly appart, and re-assemble correctly.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y