N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

tappets

General chat related to anything N12.
aubrey

tappets

Post by aubrey »

The tappets were making noise so i adjusted them but the tapping noise is still there, would there be something else making the same noise ? Any help welcome, cheers :) :roll:
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

im the same on this
Boost+pulsar = goodness = pain :(
My Ride
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4600
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

I've got exactly the same issue, and I've narrowed it down to something on the right (Drivers in aus) side of the engine. I'm on hol's for 2 weeks after this week, so I'm looking at pulling the engine out and having a look to see if I can narrow down what it could be. It sounds like really loud tappet rattle, but it's there no matter how you adjust the tappets. I pulled the timing covers off and couldn't see anything there, and it does it when the fan belt is off, so that rules out water-pump and altenator, the only other thing I need to check is oil pump (not sure what kind of oil pump the E15ET has). But Hopefully I'll sort it out and be able to let you know what it was in my case.
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
e15et2002

Post by e15et2002 »

Check that the rocker shaft bolts are tight.
'84 ET Pulsar
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

im not shore about aubrey but myne are checked and doable checked
My Ride
Damo

Re: tappets

Post by Damo »

aubrey wrote:The tappets were making noise so i adjusted them but the tapping noise is still there, would there be something else making the same noise ? Any help welcome, cheers :) :roll:

What process did you use to set the clearance?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
paul w

Post by paul w »

I old a mate that my tappets always seemed to be noisy, an adjustment made no differnce.
His reply?
"It's a 26 year old car...all old engines have at least one noisy tappet. I'd be more worried if it didn't."
Made sense to me.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

That is BOLLOCKS!
Sorry m8, but ur friend is a wanker and you can show him this reply.

There is NO reason in the world that valves should be particularly noisy unless they are simply adjusted incorrectly (usually) to something mechanically knackered (rarely).

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Yes, I agree.

There was supposed to be a touch of humor in his comment....

What he was saying to me was, the motor sounds fine, it's an old motor, expect SOME noise.

And, one tappet DID make more noise than the others, exactly as the original poster described, like a really loud tappet...so rather than me getting my knickers in a knot, which I was doing, he suggested I ignore it.

Guess, what happened after a month...the motor sounds fine. I even had a mechanic listen to it, and he reckons it's fine.

Right or wrong, I thought maybe the poster was like me, making a mountain out of a molehill? We can get carried away sometimes...
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

paul w wrote: What he was saying to me was, the motor sounds fine, it's an old motor, expect SOME noise....
See, thats exactly the kind of comment I get dark on.
There is rarely ever a reason to EXPECT a noisy top end and just explain it away that its old!!!!

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

In the case of what even said has this issue been found yet
My Ride
paul w

Post by paul w »

tassuperkart:
Point taken.
I will write it out 100 times: "a motor may be old, but it should not be noisy!"

And, yes, has the issue been found out?
Damo

Post by Damo »

Damo wrote:
aubrey wrote:The tappets were making noise so i adjusted them but the tapping noise is still there, would there be something else making the same noise ? Any help welcome, cheers :) :roll:

Damo

So what did you do?!!!!!

Damo

et_rider

Post by et_rider »

Damo wrote:
Damo wrote:

Damo

So what did you do?!!!!!

Damo
by the book damo i cant remeber the order but it worked out that i was changing the lifter clearence on the rocker that was rocking,i then adjusted it to .28ml with a feeler gauge making shore that the gadge slide out with a slight amount of freaction not to much but a nuff that i had to use some muslce and that it did not just fall out lol

the way i ust to do it was just roll the cam around and when cyl on was rocking adjust that then roll to number two and do that vice versa till i found that the both rockers werent always fully rocking and that one of the rockers were ever so slightly still on the lope of the cam so corected my ways...

apart from the book is there any way to corect it at all becuse i have used the screw driver and found that the sound is around number 2/ 3 inlet valve

thankyou again even and damo bloody legends

and sorry mate im not stealing your thread more helping it along if you have any hassles with me on here i will go make a new one just let us know... 8)

matt
My Ride
Damo

Post by Damo »

Let's wait for old mate to respond by firstly telling us what he has actually done.

Damo