N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Starter Motor Trouble

General chat related to anything N12.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

nice cluth similar to mine except mine has pink bits lol.

ther easonthe gear wears is that starter only makes 3-4mm contact at the most which isnt much room for error and well with clutch dust and shit getting on the starter shafts they were a little and hit rather than engage its a pain in the ass
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Well you'll be able to destroy gearboxes with that clutch. :)
n12_15eT

Post by n12_15eT »

Yes they are a pretty good clutch, i used one on my old ET and it never slipped. Yeah they like to lunch gearboxes - broke 2 on the ET.

The Clutch is made my Extreme Clutches is South Australia. It has an 700kg clamping load and should handle upto 220hp. Payed $319inc gst.
Formally Known as: al_etya
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

how heavy is it tho? i got a exedy street tuff clutch 4 puck brass button beasty its actually lighter than my mirage stock clutch lol never broke a box with it tho
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Clutches. was Starters

Post by tassuperkart »

Umm I have to ask, why are you going to fit a clutch like that?

You will learn to hate a 4 button clutch in very short time. The pressure plate is good enough to use with a full organic clutch facing and will be a kitten around town.

Those button clutches are a pain in the arse, Youll see!

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

I got to speak to the exedy aus supplier at autosalon and had a decent chat tohim about what options i had and mentioned that my fiancee(petite lady) and mentioned that she will be driving it he pointed me towards the street tuff clutch. all i got from my friends was oh u cant drive a FWD witha brass button clutch on the streets they are too hard to launch with that pressure plate itll be too heavy blah blah blah blah its was ALL bullshit its light as hell it comes down to a decent design theres no need to have clutches that end up bending cable mounts, pedals etc theres plenty of play in my sprung brass button it took 3 weeks before i stalled it and that was only cos the engine missed as i let the clutch out. it is a much better clutch than my mates extreme BB on his old RX4(13b turbo) that was a shit of a clutch but the exedy i can gaurantee is a awesome clutch...........tho mine does shudder a little thats about it tho i just go sick of organics letting go i just wanted to be sure
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Oh the pressure plate weight is bullshit as a button clutch require far less pressure for the same grip.
However, your clutch is more likely an exception than a rule.

If you are destroying organic facings then perhaps your clutch use style may need some modifications!!!!!

Ive told you before Matt, you gotta stop flooring it at the lights, sitting on the 7800rpm limiter and then side-stepping the clutch pedal and remember to lift your foot off the loud pedal when you change gears!. Flat changes have a fairly limited future in terms of drivetrain life ..... u fewl! LMAO!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

haah ur a funny man redline is only 7500rpm i thought i told u that before hahaha and i dont side step the clutch i learnt that quickly haha all u do is wheelspin..........oh is that whats its called flat shifting whoops i thought everyone did that ;) I have only broken 1 box im pretty pround of that hahaha and hat was witha clutch that was slipping poor little box :( i get the feeling it wasnt right when it went in and really didnt like the power delivery gotta love electronic boost ocntrollers lol. and with the weight of the PP ive read quite a few comments made on the old forum and a few other forums when discussing n12 clutches ,about people bending the cable mounts and pedals why do people do this if u dont need the extra pressure(not havin a go just asking) is it because their clutch suplier is giving them the wrong product or is it the customer thinking that what they need. its interesting to know cos the only reason i chose the BB was because i wasnt confident with the organics cos i dont drive the car that hard and couldnt get one to stick
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Matt, setting up cluch pressure plates can be a bit of a black art to get clamping force along with a light pedal. Some clutch places get it right and others dont.

I tend to feel that lots of dudes tend to go for the heaviest pressure plate "they can get" and others, as you say, are being badly advised.
yep, rsulting in the dreaded bent cable support.

Hard to say.
However, the makeup of the facing material has a lot to do with it along with the style of use.

Some blokes just cannot get enough of redlining the engine and feeding in the clutch repeatedly and the obvious happens.

Its along the same lines as brakes. I have read some guys complaining that their brakes package will not stand repeated extreme braking from 100 MPH plus.......WTF?????? Who actually gives a toss if brakes cannot stand pulling the car up from 160kph a couple of times....whay ever would they want to do that???????
Same as repeated clutch abuse, I suspect that the driving style might be the culprit rather than the clutch.

As an aside, a m8 of mine had built a turbo over supercharged Ford Pinto 2.3 litre thing producing in excess of 600 bhp (in a Mk 1 Esky!!)
It has the sweetest little clutch, a Tilton 5 plate/ 4" clutch. Looks identical to a motorcycle clutch.
He uses an auto starter plate and machined a small steel "flywheel to bot the clutch cover to. Its kinda light on flywheel i can tell you!
This clobber will transmit over 1000bhp and you can push the pedal with your fingers. Awesome! Way to go!!!

L8tr
E
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

yeh se it was weird i had a heavy duty clutch with a blody heavy feeling presure plate and after a day it started to let go at 5500rpm which kinda pissed me off cos where i was living i couldnt do the work myself i had to pay some bastard mechanic to do it for me. see teh thing is i nevr cained my car hard never pumped teh clutch to makeit look like i had more power than i actually had lol never dumped it or rode it ? it was mentioned to me that i would be better of getting a organic and putting up with some slip PFFFT why the hell am i building this car then so i bought a BB instead lol. King ET can back me up on that i drive like a softcock lol tho i must admit i gave it heaps when i got the BB clutch and i think that brought on the engine failure lol

unfortunatly i dont seem to have the contacts to help me build a decent setup like ur mates :( i need skills lol
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

i have an exedy heavy clutch, can't remeber which clutch exactly! but it never slips, NEVER! not an organic. and it's nice and easy to use. if you stuff your gearbox through your clutch being too harsh, it's because the way you drive it. you can still drive hard with a hardcore clutch, just know how too be gentle with the bloody thing. it's all in the way you use it, hasn't your girlfriends ever told you that? or is my girlfriend just saying something nicely? oh well.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hey E

Why hasn't anyone mentioned drilling out the mounting holes on the starter itself. Oversize them a couple of mm, push the starter toward the block and hey presto, no more grinding. At no cost!

Damo
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

Because its a DODGY method that has in the past resulted in the starter motor contacting the ring gear while the engine is running.... big problems!! dont do it.

Sam
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

been there done it but the gear was rooted to start with so no point lol
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
Damo

Post by Damo »

wassup393 wrote:Because its a DODGY method that has in the past resulted in the starter motor contacting the ring gear while the engine is running.... big problems!! dont do it.

Sam
Dodgy hey, dodgy like sticking a RRFPR on a stock ecu E15, dodgy like grinding the trailing arms to fit those wanky 17inch rims, or dodgy like wacking 'forgies' into a detonating engine to prevent smashing pistons!

Dude, a no cost modification to a part which will be replaced if it doesn't work is not something which should be overlooked. If the guy has the ability to do the job himself in his own garage, with half a brain he should be able to make it work.

Even if it doesn't work, its better than ripping out the box, taking off the flywheell, fitting a new gear, putting the whole shooting match back together again just to have it grind the very first time you hit the key.

This 'method' may not have worked for you, but just because it didn't, that doesn't mean you didn't screw it up!

Damo