N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

wiring thermo fan to switch

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
leayr

wiring thermo fan to switch

Post by leayr »

hi just wondering how u wire thermo fan to a switch that's safe and not gunna blow out other accessories
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

run direct power from alt or battery to a toggle switch but if you wire it up to the stock loom you'll be rite I run two slimlines off the stock loom

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

NEVER run full battery power to pissy flick switches and ask them to handle fan power. Usual startup amperage for fans is 20 amps plus!
Your asking for trouble running power wires thru firewalls here and there. so many wirting fires are started by running battery power wires everywhere.

Always use a negative side switched relay to handle the fan duties powered directly off the battery via a decent fuse and then run a single light guage wire in from the relay pull-in coil, thru the flick switch and then to ground under the dash.
Short this wire and nothing more than the fan runs.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
sgs

Post by sgs »

to be honest you really shouldnt run a electric fan off a switch, its better to have a thermo switch thingy that turns on when the coolent gets hot. I have run fans without this but there has been a few OH FUCK moments.

I would wire in a switch if your going to do a sick burnout or something though. but have the thermo switch as a back up.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

What HE said.
E
leayr

Post by leayr »

i looked at them got that probe that gose into the hose are they any good or just asking for leaks???
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, that type is a bandaid at best and are prone to leaking.
Why not just use the stock fan thermal switch?

If you use this stock setup to trigger a relay on the negative side, you can then just add a dash switch aqs an overide if you feel you need it.
Interestingly, the stock setup does not use a fan relay and that thermal switch down the side of the radiator does all the power switching....curious.

The stock cooling system is large and reliable. Big 3 core crossflow radiator and decent sized pusher fan/s so if everything is working, I cannot see how an ET would overheat in any circumstances IF evrything is in order that is.
Extra fans/switches are pretty much redundant and just adding cimplications for the sake of it.

L8r
E
sgs

Post by sgs »

Even wrote
"The stock cooling system is large and reliable. Big 3 core crossflow radiator and decent sized pusher fan/s so if everything is working, I cannot see how an ET would overheat in any circumstances IF evrything is in order that is.
Extra fans/switches are pretty much redundant and just adding cimplications for the sake of it."

fit a bigger Turbo?