N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Insurance

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
xr6eta

Insurance

Post by xr6eta »

After Paul W's experience I thought I'd throw it out there to see how many of us are going to find ourselves in the same place at some stage. Thousands of dollars spent on shit boxes that you can't insure for any more than a thousand bucks. At some stage with all the fuck knuckle, head up their arse drivers out there, someone is going to hit you and if write of value is way less than fixing the damage to your car, your up shit creek. Who's got what insurance, what are you paying, is it worth it or is it as in Paul's case unfortunately, stiff shit factor. And whose thought about if you hit someone and you don't have insurance how many thousands is it going to cost you.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

3rd party for me. used to have the old "bomb" iunsurence (3rd party, fire and theft). Insurance companies wont do it anymore affordably.

Frikken insane to run without any tho.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Please explain why its insane to run without any? And before you go there, if its my fault and I hit the Beamer, then I am a dickhead.

What seems insane to be is paying $300 a year for coverage of someone elses car, when at the end of the day the "other" persons cover won't pay out the $$ to fix yours. THATS insane.

If you don't cause the accident....that is.

Why do the insurance companies take person A to court when person B hits them and its person B's fault. RACV do this - and use it a marketing campaign because person A doesn't have insurance. Or to scare people into getting insurance.

I was in a 3 car nose to tail - only minor - and we all just agreed at the time to not bother with anything. I know 2 of the 3 people were uninsured and the person that was insured didn't want to pay the $900 excess.

So if everyone was uniisured we wouldn't have a problem - just like the racetrack. nice and simple. You fuck up, you pay.

Darren.
Race it.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

in a perfect world this is how it would always be ,call ourselves dheads and drive away,but it not,to many assholes in it with little dicks that need $50k plus cars to make up for thier meger indowment :D
I know if I hit a beama or the likes I'd be pretty screwed if they went on with it.
$300 a year might sound alot and you may never need it (tutch wood) but with out it ,go try replacing old maties merc or beama
knowing how keen insurances company are too write off cars at the drop of a hat it just makes good sent to me
and it not a racetrack either,pitty but it not
my thought

zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Some years back, a panel basher M8 of mine was repairing a Roller. A Silver Ghost I believe.
You know that funky stainless steel radiator grille thingy they have? (like the one on Thunderbirds!!)
Well almost 20 years ago, that one cost 9 thousand fucking dollars to be repaired by hand. THATS right 9000 dollars. Lets just say you reversed into that eh?

Where in the world would you pay 900 dollars for 3rd party FFS? Thats almost strictly Comprehensive.

Yes, thats right YOU pay for the car YOU damage if its YOUR fault.
No, the other party will NOT pay if its YOUR fault... thats how the world goes around. If it is their fault, you will only be covered for about half of its book value and thats the way the cookie crumbles on a 25 year old Japper crapper no matter how much money you have sunk into it. Thjats the risk you run for unloading your hard earned into old Japcrap.

NEVER EVER fall into that stupid trap of thinking your good enough and youll never have an "at fault" accident or everybody will just drive away after with bugger all damage. Timmzy, you were seriously lucky. And thos who were uninsured were seriously stupid.
Had you caused it (dunno iffen you did or didnt but lets just say) and they were not so friendly, YOU would be paying for the cost of repair of ALL the damaged vehicles.

Bugger all damage from a slight rear-ender can result in 2 to 3 thousand dollars damage to a tiny Korean shitter.
Reverse into a WB Holden ute and break the square headlight and your looking at closing on 500 bucks just to start with!!!!!!

I for one, would chase your arse down relentlessly, dragged ur sorry quoit thru court and have your wages/dole/pocket money garnishee'd until ur arse bleeds if youd run into one of my shitbox cars and think you can just drive away scot-free..... IF its your fault!!!!!
Muwaaaahahahah! And i only have a 3 grand car so is that compensating for small penis size Zoomer??

THATS why you insure yourself!!!
INSANE? You bet ur sorry arse its not!!!!

I have NO sympathy for those sorry arsed loosers who parade their snotty nosed grizzling kids in fron of the Today-Tonight cameras when their house burns to the ground and they bleat they have nothing! If the dumb cunts smoke a pack a month less and drank a carton a month less they have the necessary couple of hundred dollars needed per year to replace their house and belongings and put a roof over their heads in the meantime.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

I hit your car with no insurance (and being the good natured bloke you are)I'm sure we could find you a new shell from the tip,well may be $500 off ebay then, to put all the goodie's back into,if not than well yer.
But fuck me try says that to some stuck up R.R owner let alone to the owner of the $50k bmw "look mate my bad and I got No insrance but we can just go get another shell and " ........................but this time he telling the copper on the phone "this nut chase ........."
zoomzoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
congers87@hotmail.com

Post by congers87@hotmail.com »

I wonder if it's worth buying 3rd party insurance for our cars when we mod the turd out of them. At the end of the day when you look at the just car insurance product disclosure statement (my insurance) they will only cover me for legal modifications. So to me that 'unlimited modifications' claim they bandy about aint really worth anything to me. If I prang into someone with my microtech, turbo, cooler etc on board, whats to stop them from saying stiff tits sonny, your car isn't legal, you flip the bill.

Maybe someone here has been in this situation?

Chris
Mortein kills 99% of household bugs. Chuck Norris kills 100% of whatever the fuck he likes.
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

i got rear ended a few months back. on the highway, saw cars ahead pile into each other. i never tailgate so get on the picks, realise i'm goin to stop safely, look in rear view mirror & holy shit steer to the right then bam. got me in the rear left and pushed me into the barrier in the middle.
anyway silly bitch apparently didn't see all the tyre smoke from the pile up or my brake lights which i was pumping. i ask for her insurance says she's got none. haha well better hope they don't write mine off you'll be up for 25k. she starts complaining she can't afford it, told her to fuck off. ended up costing over 16k to fix and i'm out of pocket near $1700 for things i've had to fix which insurance weaseled their way out of. moral of the story? shit happens, be prepared. if i had not have turned and been pushed into the car infront of me, i'd be paying for that cars' repair.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

heard many stories of some innocent bloke, hit buy another car, other car at fault...no insurance for the innocent guy, but can't beat the insurance company without going to court....

in short they are out to make a profit and don't mind using their size to do it. If its another insurance company they just negotiate it out.

C
e15et2002

Post by e15et2002 »

Having previously worked in the car insurance industry, and having many friends who still do, in my opinion anyone who does not have at least third party property -i.e cover for damage your car may cause - is a fool.

I could rattle off many scenarios as to prove that the "she'll be right mate, I won't crash into anyone so no need for me to insure" attitude is pig headed, dumb, and very ignorant. Anyone here know how much a traffic light control box costs? You probably don't want to! Consider yourself sitting innocently at the lights when some half whit hits you and sends you into one of those control boxes - you'll be the one paying for the control box, either out of your own pocket for the rest of your life, or via your insurance - I know which I'd prefer! Not your fault you say, but the law will simply apportion blame and will view it as "if you weren't there, your car wouldn't have destroyed the control box", regardless of the other car involved. Because unless that car also hits the control box, you're the one paying for it in full. Love it or hate it, that's the way it is.

As for the original question as to what is everyone paying, how much is your car insured for etc, well everyone will be different, but mainly due to driving history, location, and in our case, mods. My ET is insured for $5k agreed value, classed as "highly modified" by the insurer, insured for limited use (couple of times a week) and costs me about $300 per year for full comprehensive cover, but then none of that is relevant to anyone else because each situation is very different....

Cheers :)
'84 ET Pulsar
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

That is just ridiculous what goes out there.

So what do you do?

INsure a ridulously overpowered uninsurable car for bugger all, on the premise that you might hit someone who will claim. To cover there own 3rd party? Especially if THEY hit you and its THERE fault. And I have to pay? Still sounds insane to me Tas??

And to top it off, the insurance company - if they chose to inspect the car - which they are well within their right to, claim it as modified and null/void the claim. Your left holding the bill - should've just saved the cash??

Well F2ck that. I just cannot believe that these companies advertise the fact that they will take uninsured buggers to court and sqeeze blood out of a stone - when they probably don't have insurance for a good reason.

How much are people paying? And who are they with?

I've found bingle to be cheap for comprehensive on a car that is driven every day.

Darrne.
Race it.
congers87@hotmail.com

Post by congers87@hotmail.com »

Having previously worked in the car insurance industry, and having many friends who still do, in my opinion anyone who does not have at least third party property -i.e cover for damage your car may cause - is a fool.
My ET is insured for $5k agreed value, classed as "highly modified" by the insurer, insured for limited use (couple of times a week) and costs me about $300 per year for full comprehensive cover
Okay, then seeing you have been in the industry perhaps you can tell us what is the process post crash. Does the insurance company scrutineer your car, to check damage, mods etc? I'm not suggesting 3rd party is a waste of money to the average punter, but if your car is as you say 'highly modified' but illegally modified I doubt the insurance company is going to cover your bill. What mods are you covered for? For me I can tell Just Cars all my mods and they will act all hunky dory. But those mods arent legal mods. Correct me if I'm wrong, if I am I will sign up with whoever your insured by.

Chris
Mortein kills 99% of household bugs. Chuck Norris kills 100% of whatever the fuck he likes.
e15et2002

Post by e15et2002 »

congers87@hotmail.com wrote:
My ET is insured for $5k agreed value, classed as "highly modified" by the insurer, insured for limited use (couple of times a week) and costs me about $300 per year for full comprehensive cover
Okay, then seeing you have been in the industry perhaps you can tell us what is the process post crash. Does the insurance company scrutineer your car, to check damage, mods etc? I'm not suggesting 3rd party is a waste of money to the average punter, but if your car is as you say 'highly modified' but illegally modified I doubt the insurance company is going to cover your bill. What mods are you covered for? For me I can tell Just Cars all my mods and they will act all hunky dory. But those mods arent legal mods. Correct me if I'm wrong, if I am I will sign up with whoever your insured by.

Chris
Ok well to start with I can't emphasis enough that every claim and every insurance policy is different, so what I say here is true in some cases, but not necessarily all cases.

Post crash your car might be checked over for a number of reasons when you make a claim - to confirm quotes/cost for repairs, check for bald tyres or other mechanical failures which have lead to the claim. Check the condition of the car - are you also trying to claim for the damage you caused when you reversed into the garage door, etc etc etc.....

I'm insured with Shannons. The "highly modified" tag is theirs, not mine. My point being that it is in their highest insurance group pricing. I did not say that it is illegally modified. I'm not saying that anyone will insure illegal modifications. I don't consider that my car is particularly highly modified either. Off the top of my head, the mods listed on the policy are: lowered suspension, sports exhaust, intercooler, bov, aftermarket ecu, larger turbo, 2nd fuel pump, rising rate fpr - all mods which Shannons are willing to cover, and so they won't be coming back and telling me that they won't pay a claim due to the mods, because those mods are listed on the policy. If there was something that wasn't, it could get interesting.

Legality of mods is handled differently by different insurers, and in Australia, what is legal in one state, might not be legal in another. Some insurers won't worry about them if the mod(s) didn't contribute to the claim, but lets be honest, most probably will.

After a crash, the insurer will generally get a copy of the Police report and decide from there what they will do, how they will handle the claim. Every case is different. So if it is clear that my involvement in a crash was not of my doing, I was not at fault, my insurer is not going to chase me and/or not pay, but will pay for the traffic light control box. If I don't have any 3rd party cover, I'm on my own, paying back the govt out of my pocket for their traffic light control box - that is where it could end in court, and the legal system will apportion blame, and I could lose out. The best I could hope for is to try and take on the other guys insurer, if he has insurance, or maybe he doesn't because he was a tight arse ET/Exa driver who didn't think he should have to pay for insurance... F that!! I'd rather pay a few hundred $'s a year and not have to worry about that sort of shite. Yep, I might never need it (hopefully) but if I ever do.... I have told my insurer everything about the car, and they have offered cover on that basis, so we all know where we stand. If they did happen to inspect the car, they will find the mods listed on the policy and that is it. When you take out cover you have a duty of disclosure regarding their questioning. If you don't tell them everything, and it later comes to light that you didn't, they might use that to wriggle out of a claim. Why would that surprise anyone? :? Insurance companies actually do pay claims though! They can not just wriggle out of claims because they feel like it, however you do need to read the fine print. There is one insurer who, at least a few years ago anyway, would insure your car for an agreed value, but in the fine print it stated that at their discretion, they may only pay a maximum for your car of $10k for any claim. Fine for us ET/Exa drivers with cars less than $10k worth, but not if you're driving a WRX that gets written off. $10k for a 2010 WRX anyone?

I didn't work in the claims area, but I do know that at the time (not sure if policy has changed) the insurer I worked for would only take "mods" into account if they contributed to the cause of the claim. If you have a surge tank, and the battery beside it in the boot and the interior of your car catches fire, you might need to worry if they're illegal and you haven't told the insurer if they asked about any mods. If you have those mods, have told them, and run up the arse of someone, they wouldn't be looking at the surge tank and battery relocation - it wouldn't come into anything to do with that claim... If you have spent $4k on audio gear, and haven't told them and your car is stolen, you're not getting any money for your audio gear. All else being well, they should pay the agreed value for your stolen car.

Moral of the story, get some insurance to protect yourself against huge costs for damage your car could do to someone else's property.

Perhaps unfortunately I've got myself into a couple of these insurance type threads on different car forums in the past. I'm not going to give anyone specific advice, or comment on their particular situation, or debate why their mate did such and such but what I said didn't happen to them etc. If you have questions about your insurance cover, phone your insurer and ask THEM. They are the best people to give you advice on your situation, and every situation is different.

Hope this helps

cheers :)
'84 ET Pulsar
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

Be careful,
Just on your few "modifications" -

Lowered Suspension - If your car is under 110mm at the lowest point, car is unroadworthy and therefore not insured.
Sports Exhaust - Shouldn't be an issue, providing lowest point is above 110mm from the ground. (Highly unlikely a noise level test will be performed after an accident)
Intercooler - Shouldn't be an Issue.
BOV and Aftermarket ECU - both defectable in Qld, rendering your car unroadworthy and therefore not insured. (Assuming the BOV vents to Atmo, a plum-back BOV is perfectly legal and will not result in the vehicle being unroadworthy)
Larger Turbo, 2nd Fuel Pump, Rising Rate FPR - Shouldn't be an issue.

No insurance company will pay out for an unroadworthy car, regardless of prior knowledge of mods. Even a mod that gets a minor defect from Qld Transport (e.g. Steering Wheel) will render your car unroadworthy at the time of an accident. Insurance companies don't want to pay out if they can avoid it, and any little excuse will do. They aren't above deception, making you think your "mods" are OK, then in the case of an accident not paying out due to unroadworthy nature of vehicle.

Jay
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

So $440 per year full comp on a 1992 statesman. 2years of that and then it's payed for...... It's the cheapest I could find. Bingle.com

Darren
Race it.