N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

fuel pump questions

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
mad_cow521

fuel pump questions

Post by mad_cow521 »

Hey guys long time since my last post but im in need of some opinions here!

I've just finished putting a yella terra supercharger kit on my mates vs clubsport. I was surprised at how much it came with, pretty much everything, enough to chuck it all on and drive away, bar getting the microfueller tuned up.

the kit wasnt new, it had been on a v8 vs ute, and had been running a 15 psi pulley for about 2 years on a bog stock bottom end. The only drama he ever had engine-wise was blowing a head gasket in a burnout comp he entered because it got hot but he decided to keep going, hmmmm... i think he was asking for trouble there. But running that much boost on a stock engine im quite impressed with how long the engine took it.!

As i said before it comes with a microtech microfueller, as the charger comes with 2 of its own injectors mounted in the intake pipe between the charger and throttle body, aimed right at the screws... The MF was tuned up on the last motor for 15 pound, we'll only be running 10 for now so i'll have to stick my exhaust analyzer on it and probably bring the enrichment of the additional injectors back a bit by pulling back the open time..

But heres my drama. just to be on the safe side i decided to put a trusty bosch 044 pump in her cause i dont want the old girl starving for a drink.

Im not totally sure how these pumps go in. i have the idea that i will put it inline and leave the factory pump in the tank to act as a lift pump to the new one. Now from my experience some high volume pumps dont like it when they arent supplied with fuel by a lift pump, and due to their design they arent meant to "suck" from the tank, but rather jam the shit their given flt out to the injectors. i ran a vl pump like this without a lift pump and it died pretty quick.

im wondering if anyone knows much about the pump? will the standard pump keep fuel up to it or will it just hinder the 044? If i get it wrong either pump could have a short life. not good especially as its forced induction!!

so should i be leaving the stock one their as a lift pump, or just putting the 044 straight into the tank and using it by itself?

I wanna get this one right as the car is absolutely beautiful, and its his baby so i dont want it going kapoof..

thanks guys!
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Its always a no-no to supply a larger pump from a smaller one.
And yes, the pumps dont like to suck. They should always have a head of fuel at them.

Im not much of a fan of lining up fuel pumps in series. Always seems a cheap and nasty way of avoiding doing the job right to begin with.

You could find that the unloaded flow rate of the stock pump is still less than the 44 can actually deliver under pressure. Well, mebbe not but you get the drift!

My only advise to you is if you want to replace/upgrade the intank pump and avoid funky lift pump and header tank installations, is to replace it with ANOTHER bigarsed intank pump which would be an 040.

44's are an external inline style pump
40's are reasonably similar in flow rates but a dedicated intank design.

My 2 bobs.

l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.