N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Tassuperkarts Tragedies

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
seagull

Post by seagull »

There is the mistres
goes like a fucking rocket , it made 120 hp at the rears normaly asperated .

The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Holy Crap!!!!
I dunno what to say about that mate! Bloody good work!
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

so thats a bike front welded to a car rear? or is it bike all the way to a rear axle?

C
BQ-05-TY

Post by BQ-05-TY »

thats one fully fuckin sick cruise mobile!!!

i love it
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

LMAO
Its a "Servicar" lads,
A trike.
They are often fitted up with VW engines and transmissions.

Yep, motorcycle style frontend but the entire frame will be a custom build.
No cutting and shutting.

This particular animal is powered by a 2ltr Subaru. Im not sure iffen its a WRX engine.
Imagine how much a beast with a full turbo engine?

Neil has been at this thing for quite some time.
Nice work eh?!!!!!

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Nice?!?!?!

NICE?!!?!?!

NICE?!?!?!?!

Jezzus Christ Captain Understement, that is the best trike in the friggin universe!!!!!!!!!
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

there's a dude getting around my town with a suby powered trike in sparkle red. it's a bit more Billy Connelly style though. they both look pretty neat.
seagull

Post by seagull »

I have the fly wheel & stock clutch you need in Perth $250.00 + freight

let me know if you want it as I have some one else in line

seagull
seagull

Post by seagull »

I am holding the wolfs off here man , get you head in this post FFS :)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Umm.. flywheel??
If its for me M8, I already have a TT flywheel and a brand new F1 Racing Components Stage 2 clutch.
All good.
L8tr
E
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, Ive not updated this thread for a while so why not now.............. OK stop rolling your eyes and signing "oh shit, not another rant from E" yer Well it is, and itll be a long one so fuck up!
Go make a coffee, sit back and take a ride with me!

Anyway, as many may know, apart from the wifeys turbo GX and my race car, I play around with a Hi-Lux ute with a Nissan FJ20et strapped in for shits and giggles.
I use this rig mostly for towing my race car around with.
It goes well on its own, bloody well actually when its boosted up to around 14 Lb but at the end of the day, its a low compression 2 litre 4 banger and you have to stamp on it with the trailer and all the race paraphernaila on board!!!

Also the time is approaching whether i think about/do a quick rebuild of the FJ, piss off those annoyingly noisy and oily stupid forged pistons with a set of 6G73 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 Duralites (straight fit) and a little head massaging along the way. Just a nice freshen up!
Then the the idea pops into my head to loose the FJ alltogether and fit something with some built in balls!

Enter a Nissan VG30det.

This is an identical engine to the twin turbo 300 zed except for a single T3/T28 hybrid thingy hanging on one side and a central plenum rather than those funky looking tuned "wing" manifolds on the big balls Zed.
If youve ever looked right inside these brutish engines you can see why they are such an admired and lauded, if underrated design. Damn they are beautifully made.
No expense was spared when these things were designed!

Ive sort of gone full circle really with engines as my first ever car was a Ford Capri GT V6 which uses the old Essex 60 degree V 3 litre engine.
They are a beautifully balanced design with a totally different note to a 90 degree or straight 6 shooter!
As an aside, I built 4 of them for that car, the last one ran Mahle forged pistons, BRC roller rockers, a 30-70 symmetrical cam with all my own head work, 500 2bbl Holley and that car would do a 1/4 pass in a mid-high 13 with a single spinner diff. 0 to 100K's in 7 seconds dead.
I got 6700 rpm in 4th gear which comes out at 136 Mph in the old money! Damn that old thing used to fly!!

I digress, the VG Nissans are 60 degree V6's so its a nostalgia trip as well for this old cunt.

I rang up an engine importer in Sydney and 375 dollars later..........yes, thats right, THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS later, I have an import engine heading my way.
OK freight is 125 and a TT Zed flywheel is 90 but that still makes a mighty cheap 200Kw stock Quad cam, 16 valve V6 turbo eh?
If the turbo shits Ill buy another engine!!!
Newhoo, the engine duly arrives and its complete with power steer pump, alternator and an A/C compressor!

I sourced a clutch, an F1 Racing Components Stage 2 clutch (full face organic) from the US for less than half what I could find here and a M8 machined the flywheel down to nearly a dinner plate (well, I did just ask him to lighten it and no, I didnt say how much so he just gutted it! He thought that was funny as hell!!!!! LMAO)

Next on the list was a set of flywheel bolts. Seems these little fuckers are a weird M10 x 1mm thread and are not industry standard. Cannot be found on the shelf. Subaru uses the same thread.
Off to Nissan and unload 15 bucks each on 8 of them.......thats gotta hurt. OK , I never pay retail but thats what they price at. I got them for something like 11 each but...sheesh!

I stripped of all the external shit off the motor and swapped all the water hoses with silicone stuff and fitted a new cam timing belt as well.

So far so good.

Now the attention turns top the ute itself along with its shithouse steering.
Pre '89 'Luxes werent fittes with power steering and Toyota, in their infinite wisdom fitted a power steering box which is outwardly identical to the earlier unpowere item but using subtly different mounting bolts. It will be a big job to cut out of the chassis rail the crush tubes, weld patches back on, re-drill the holes and weld back in the rail crush tubes........ farrrk!
The I began looking towards a powered rack and pinion setup.
Now, there are zillions of rack that mount behind the stb axle line but precious few that mount in front.
After a bit of searching, Subaru racks are tough, compact and mount in front of the stub line, yay!
Off to the local Scoob wreckers and 160 bucks later I have one.

Next item to get over is a transmission.
Nissans (thankfully) have very few variations and most boxes bolt up between the different engines. (The FJ20et has an "L" series 240K gearbox behind it). Most Nissan ring gears, starters and shit are interchangeable.
However, the VG engines have a peculiar bolt pattern and Im limited to a VG gearbox or cut and shut a VG bellhousing to a box from something else.
This is a straightforward mod and is now common amongst the drift boys with their SR powered drifters breaking the lighter 71 series gearboxes. They source the R30A boxes (the "toploader" of the Nissan transmissions) from 300Zed TT's, and cut and shut the front 1/4 of the bellhousing to adapt to the SR20det's.

OK, try and find a Nissan Navara V6 box............ not happening. None about.
Then a M8 of mine wrecks an older Z31 300zed with an atmo VG30 innit!
Yay, I now have a gearbox, starter, crossmember and so-on!

Fukfukfukfukfuk............ I had an older single cam VG30e flywheel and i compared it to the VG30dett flywheel, now lovingly lightened to buggery and balanced up with its new shit hot clutch and, unlike most things Nissan, the fucking ring gears are different OD's....farrrk, not much, about 12mm but enough to case heart palpitations!

Ok swap ring gears I say, cant be too hard.........yer? Nope! Nissan must have known Evan wanted to do this swap and they made sure Id feel pain by ensuring that the smaller OD ring gear on the old atmo engine had a BIGGER ID than the larger OD ring gear on the TT flywheel.......WTF!
The kicker is that I cannot simply use an atmo ring gear and machine the flywheel so it fits.................. Chroist, all this way and no starter...gotta be a way.

I eventually found a workaround. I found a dude on the net who fitted the same engine into an older 300zed and ran into the same drama.
Fortunately, the tooth profile and pitch is the same so he simply egged out the starter mounting bolt holes and clearanced the startermotor cutout in the bellhousing and swung the starter away about 5mm and it all works!!!

The sump has the bowl to the front and the 'Lux needs the sump bowl to the rear but the old single cammer donated to me previously comes to the rescue with the sump already reversed and an long pickup pipe yay!!
Anybody who has cut and reversed a sump will know my joy. I had to do it on the FJ......prick of a job. it would be better off to fabricate an entire new sump...

OK next is engine management.
I have sold the Microtech with muitiple ignition OP's to the dude who is buying the FJ20 off me.
GOTech was the shizzle, great features and shit hot price but they rip you off for postage and Im not paying close to 500 fucking dollars for a 1.5 kilo package from Johannesburgh!

I now have the latest release of Adaptronic 420c.
This highly featured ECU has every trick i could wish for for less than 1200 dollars.
Full time adaptive closed loop fuelling, launch control, anti-lag, traction control, idle control, boost pressure control and the list simply goes on and on!!!
A smorgasboard of goodies for me to play with as time goes by!!
Itll interpret the Nissan CAS signal, run the 6 individual coils and so-on with no dramas.
The GoTech would have needed an external trigger wheel and Hall Effect sender...another 150 bucks.

Well, as time goes by, Ive gotten to more dislike that 'Lux ute with its heavy and unresponsive steering and truck like road manners, its dead brakes and general all round truck feel!
Not to mention its noisy and harsh ride and shithouse driver ergonomics and when i commenced measuring up in preparation for the transplant there was going to be quite a few headfucks to get around to get this beast of an engine into the car easily.
Entirely new engine mounts and gearbox mounts, the turbo hits the chassis and lots of other shit along with fabricating the bracketry for the steering rack and running a steering shaft to it.....gawwwwd. On and on. Its a big job. A lot bigger that first glance for the inexperienced players!

Fuck it, Im not doing the "Lux nemore.

So I found a clean and tidy '93 Nissan Navara V6 ute with power steering and AC fitted!
This ute drives like new, its smooth, quiet and powerful, even with its strangled atmo VG30e single cammer.
The box is tight and slick shifting like no other Nissan Ive driven and....most importantly of all........

Its...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
not........
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Fucking.....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
painted.................................
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Its a metallic grey!!!!! Hey, tinted windows as wel LMAO!!

Handed my money over straight away! Damn its a nice ute compared to the old 'Lux.

Given the VG30's are all the same it should be a straight swap.
HOWEVER, all is not as it seems and the VG30det will not drop straight in as planned....what the fuck now????????

The turbo of the VG30det lives where the engine mount sits on the Navara V6.
All VG blocks are identical and have 2 different mount points for different cars and the the donor car, a Y31 Nissan Cima (JDM) used the drivers side mid mount and the passengers side front mount and thoughtfully tucked the turbo right where the middle Navara mount lives.

Fuckit, cut the cunt off the Navara chassis and make an entirely new mount. I had planned for this with the 'Lux neway.
Thing is tho, further measuring reveals that the crossover pipe for the turbo manifolds, runs up and over the back of the motor.

The Navara sits the engine quite close to the firewall doesnt it!
Well M8, she aint going to fit without a complete re-fabrication of the firewall to account for the manifold, OR ovmcing the entire engine and transmission forward about 2"
No fucking way Jose! Thats a mighty big job. Not happening either way.

Fine, the final setup is to remove the entire stock turbo manifolds, drop the engine in using the bone stock Navara mounts and the reversed sump and fabricte a new turbo manifold on the passengers side!

This allows me to place the turbo wherver I like as well.
The drivers side will be looked after with a stock 3ooZXTT atmo zorst manifold I found on the net for 15 bucks with the outlet aiming downwards and a new crossover pipe running below the gearbox and then back forward to the turbo manifold!

Turbo manifolds are not hard to make, just time consuming really but this is infinitely more desireable that pulling the entire engine forward and having to fabricate new custom engine and gearbox mounts and have a new tailshaft made!

So, thats where Im at at this time. The job is planned, I have most of my bits and bobs I need.
Job number one is to remove the FJ out of the 'Lux and replace the original 3Y clunker and transmission, get it going and piss it off.

Still with me? Good. My coffees cold!

Thats it for now. More on this topic later.
L8tr
E
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

Hmm i remember being told of this nav. " I aint gunna pay 5gs for a navara no way"

next day.

"guess what mate i bought that Nav"
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ur ri9ght, I didnt want to payt that much hut the thing was so nice to drive!!!
L8tr
E
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

well Evan latest tragedy has progressed. I did the long commute to Grove(where u hear banjos dueling constantly ..it scares me). got there evan was still cleaning his shed :P took a long time cos E never stops talking (oops was i meant to say that?).

so anyway first job was to remove engine(well only job for the day). SO i get down to removing all the bits that bolt to the engine while E got underneath the truck to remove exhaust and bellhousing bolts.

Work then stopped when this Foul smell came from the other side of the truck..... OMFG E that was WRONG!!!!! had to walk away for a few minutes cos it hung around ... but also followed E about it was bad.

after a few hours all the stuff was off and we lifted the motor out and E got a bit excited cos some stuff was gunna be an easier job than expected. Cant wait to see it with the 30det innit its gunna be a beast :)

so all up left home at 8am drove the 2.5hrs south crossed the border into mexico and got home at 10:30pm
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Baaahahahahahaha yer it stank eh?
I felt sorry for the shithouse when i went. The fan could not cope and it slowed down and smoke came out for a while, i feared for its life for a while but it manfully chugged on and cleared the stink!!

Firstly, for the record, a bing thanks to Panda who took time out of his weekend to drive the 200 plus K's down to sunny grove to provide much valued assistance with this engine out.
Thanks again M8, much appreciated!

Yep, the old single cammer VG30e is now out and on the floor in all its glory.

Its nice to start dragging some of the bits and bobs off the shelf Ive been collecting for months and start to place them up against the engine.

Im going to do a trial fit of the VG30det today to check for clearance issues.
There could be drama with the VVT solenoid on the passengers side as very rough measurements reveal ther might not be enough room to plug the wires on between the valve and the firewall.
Id rather not drill frikken great holes in the firewall but im not adverse to grinding away the plastic plug housing and soldering onto the terminals and bending them upwards. We shall see.

The first and foremost job is to clearance the bellhousing sos the bigger DETT flywheel will fit into the bellhousing. No biggie, just some time with the die grinder, couple of mm here and there where the castings have been thickened up around bolt holes and such.

The heater lines on the back of the DET need to be re-shaped to clear the firewall. Just heat and bend there.

Then the bigger job of clearancing the bellhousing and egging the starter mounting holes to allow the starter to clear the bigger DETT flywheel.
this is a bit of a worry but closer measurement will reveal what needs to be done. The starter needs to be swung about 5 millimeters outward to clear the 12mm biggere diameter ring gear of the DETT fly.

After that, its turbo manifold time. I doubt the atmo zed manifolds I have will sit straight on tho. Ill have to cut and shut the drivers side Id say at first glance.

More later

E
Last edited by tassuperkart on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.