N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

My EXA! A pictorial tribute

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
daz

My EXA! A pictorial tribute

Post by daz »

Well... seeing its going...

Thought I'd post up a small tribute

But... all the pics look pretty much the same

ImageImage
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

mate, thats a very neat exa! i like it. :D
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Selling??!! WHY!

Very nice car mate. Im sure you will miss it...
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

another EXA, awesome.! hey dude. is it just me of are you breaking pistons..?
Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Hey nice pics. Thats exactly the same way i blew one of my pistons. And the metal left over looks like a bullet. I now know why not to run it so lean all the time.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
daz

Post by daz »

Its done its job pretty well... I think I've told the stories a few times

Have owned the car about 7 years now I think and have spent some ungodly amount of money on it over that time

Top pics are all quite old... Old dyno graphs etc (never had a new one)

Bought the car and it turned out the engine and turbo were both stuffed so replaced with reco engine and rebuilt T2

Original engine ran perfectly until I installed the microtech then I blew it the first time didn't know why just figured the engine was old and we were flogging it on a base tune

Rebuilt it all spent a crap load made it all look pretty put a big turbo on it etc and then it broke on the dyno 1/2 way through the tune after making 160hp

Leanout on one cylinder

We thought the microtech wiring that I did was to blame, so I redid the injector wiring and I took it a bit easier also had to have the T28 rebuilt (some of the other pics) and it went on fine like this for a while although I never really could get up it because the T28 developed problems holding boost which by this time I'd given up on trying to make big power so when it did go well boy did it go but most of the time it didn't go great

Until one-day I'd been playing with trying to get the actuator door closed and finally managed to get it shut and I'd disconnected the actuator

So... gave it a boot full and holy crap the car actually ran like it should, holy crap all this time the actuator had on and off been leaking slightly and it was quite average to come on boost but now that it was actually shut wow! So get to the end of the onramp and gave it an extra pound of two but holding back with the accelerator then stutter stutter and wrx sounds...

So pulled it all down again but this time I thought hey why don't I get the only thing I've never bothered to check checked... So I go get the injectors checked... Turns out they had some silicone on the terminals (silicone being a great insulator when it gets hot) Ergo when I gave the car a flogging I was unlucky enough to get small leanouts due to shit on the terminals... The original engine the mechanic who put it all together did the dodgy with the injector plugs the wire joiners were all missing and instead of putting new injector plugs on dipshit just siliconed them on instead so they wouldn't come off so when I pulled them off and put the new plugs on I obviously hadn't cleaned off the terminals which of course looked to be clean but had a thin layer of silicone on them

Took the opportunity having the car apart again to go back to the older T25 to get the T28 fixed although never bothered and left the T25 on its a good size when you're not chasing big power... Drove it like this for the past year or so I think now

Has run very well, just getting a little rattly here and there and leaking a bit of oil... So I pulled the microtech out and put the stock ECU back in to sell it and its been running well until the other day when I got the timing right (maybe a few degrees too much) took it up the same onramp that I'd previously broken the car on and the boost controller didn't seem to hold back as well as it should so got about 14 pounds of boost kept the boot in and holy shit did it go well I can never remember the car running so well! (Not since the T28 worked properly anyway)

Anyway pulled off the freeway and it started running on 3 cylinders farken shit I thought I've already got a buyer for the car who'se paying it off bit by bit (dodgy as I know) so first day I tell him I think I've farked the engine and his reponse "can you fix it?" errr yeah I'll have a look I say... The idea being if it was fucked I'd just pull it apart and sell the car as parts, although I pull the head off to be greated with albeit a little water in the cylinder but otherwise a perfect engine so I stuck a new head gasket on it and put it all back together and fixed the leaks that had been pissing me off and pulled the boost controller out just in case but I think maybe it was simply running on 3 cylinders because of a dodgy connection or something :lol: so 9 hours or so work later the car that I was selling with a bit of an oil leak and water leak now just has a very minor oil leak somewhere down the back thats not even really worth bothering with and a nice new head gasket

I've given up on the little car now, I've decided I want a bigger car with 4 doors that has aircon, power steering and the ability to tow a trailer

I've got other devices to go quick with anyway so the old girl had to go...
daz

Post by daz »

The EXA went to her new home today... Was sad to say goodbye
N12Turbo

Post by N12Turbo »

Daz, its been a while since we've known each other in the N12 world, I remember you were there at the start of the website way back in the day.

I feel sad to hear that you have passed her on, and I do know exactly how you feel, but best of luck to the new owner, and cheers for the input you've given the site and other n12 guys over the past 7 years.

Cheers
Dave
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

At least the T28, the sway bar and the Microtech are still in the club. :)
daz

Post by daz »

This is a good point :D

The guy who bought it is a young guy from my work so I might actually see the car a few more times (he seems way too keen)

Only thing is... I wish he understood things like "ok you need to do a couple of things before you can get rego" etc etc etc.. Very simple kid... arrrrg!

I'd have much rather sold the car to someone who has half a clue rather than someone who should really just have the cheapest unbreakable no power toyota corolla type car... Ah well he liked the turbo sound

(Sorta reminds me of etezza)
Matt

Post by Matt »

daz wrote: (Sorta reminds me of etezza)
Haha, This guy will haunt the forums forever.