N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

1983 exa turbo - bayside blue and 81POLR!!!!

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
[ EXAPPEAL ]

Post by [ EXAPPEAL ] »

This is so straight and clean! I like it :)
robbo

Post by robbo »

[ EXAPPEAL ] wrote:This is so straight and clean! I like it :)
Thanks mate appreciate it :)

pay day today, exa is on the hoist at the mechanics getting the manifold flange replaced, studs replaced/threads fixed, support bracket for the turbo made up to the original gusset location and all tyres fitted properly and a wheel alignment. then it's coming home to have the side engine mounts siliconed up to provide a temporary fix to the old rubber in them. Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday next week it should be 100% back on the road after the better part of $1500 of repairs, bank balance has been smashed lol.
robbo

Post by robbo »

2nd bill came to $800 today, ouch. hopefully picking the car up tonight and taking it for a spin for the first time in ages
robbo

Post by robbo »

touch wood the car has been running fantastically, almost a month without incident which would be the longest stretch for the time that I have owned it haha
robbo

Post by robbo »

The 2 month drama free run came to an end, with what turned out to be the alternator slowly dying and the grounding wire not being connected properly, cheap fixes thankfully. Also the O-ring on injector 4 needs replacing, as well as new spark plugs and oil when i have money :/
robbo

Post by robbo »

the injectors have been progressively getting worse, and I've not been able to do much work on the exa due to a torn disc in my back. finally pulled them out last night and dropping them off to be cleaned, pressure tested and have new o-rings installed by this weekend. Then i'll need to replace the oil as I feel it is slightly contaminated from the leaking fuel.
robbo

Post by robbo »

bit of an update - fixing the injectors made the car run beautifully, getting around 7.8l/100k of spirited driving on a cruise over the weekend. The fun ended this morning however when i now have a flat tyre, an oil leak above the gearbox (wtf?) and now the car has developed an electrical problem leaving me stranded halfway to work. Seriously considering swapping/trading the car after i fix these issues, as i need something more reliable. either that i should hurry up and sell my body to old men to make up the money i need to pay for registering my n13 so the exa can go back to being a weekender.
robbo

Post by robbo »

decided to have a play around with the car, looks like i didn't install injector number 4 correctly, reinstalling the rail so the injector seats correctly might help...

on a side note i went and bought a mig welder cheaply so i can have a crack at fixing the rust myself. so much for telling the mrs I wouldn't touch it till 2015 lol
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Its an addiction... Just go with it M8!!!!!
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
robbo

Post by robbo »

hopefully this arvo the local mechanic is coming over to get the car running again, there's an irritating little electrical gremlin that won't disappear and I don't have the skills to fix. the mrs is keen for me to get the rust repairs done and to finish the rest of the body myself in the next couple of months. not going to give the colour of the car away but it won't be yellow this time around, going for a new look!
robbo

Post by robbo »

weather kept hindering progress as the car sits on the street, every time the mechanic is to come out it storms! hopefully it will be sorted, fourth time round next tuesday
robbo

Post by robbo »

electrical issue is fixed car is running again, back to sorting out the injectors and then the cooling system because it has sat around doing nothing for so long...
robbo

Post by robbo »

many dramas at home, moved back in with the parents who have allowed me a full vacant workshop and carport to use for the exa and all my parts. first time ever i'll have somewhere flat, undercover and secure to work on a car properly with no short time frame!

Went and bought:
-nolathane rear bushes
-superpro front bushes
-radiator hoses
-thermostat
-water pump

parts lined up:
-600x250x76 intercooler to allow a stock bonnet to squeeze on
-ebay generic enclosed pod filter to pass a rego inspection

things needed to do for rego:
-get rust cut and plated
-replace tie rod on passenger side
-install parts
-replace wheels
-fix ring gear issue
-injector o ring leak on cylinder 4

parts needed after that:
-front bumper without a crack
-rear kmac sway bar (custom order)
-small sound system
-respray the car

photos to come
etking

Post by etking »

dont need to fix the ring gear and o ring leak for rego but goodluck.
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
robbo

Post by robbo »

i know it's not a requirement, but having a car that takes multiple efforts to start and sounds like a cat in a blender is not good enough in my books to be worth spending the rego money on.