N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

poeticjustice's 84 ET 56K killer

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

microtech back, fixed the problem thank god. however i am thinking it is definately time for a dyno tune.

it runs fantastic except for extremely light loads.

she idles at 1400, if i try and cruise at anything under 2000 it surges quite alot. if i sit at 2k with my foot on the gas though, or anything above, it is fine. so i just need to be in 3rd instead of 4th if im staying at 60. just to keep the revs above the surgeing point.

i am pretty sure, that it is not a rpm problem, but mroe a vaccuum problem.

i have a feeling that it is surgeing when it is at a certain "HG.

Does this sound like a tune problem? or like something is wrong ? if so i want to replace it before i pay to stick it over the dyno

Cheers
Michael
samual

Post by samual »

mine did that once and found a vac leak...fixed...
Damo

Post by Damo »

It will need a slight tweaking in those vac points, nothing major. More than likely that will be as a result of me trying to tune the thing to run with the crapped out map sensor at those light loads.
Thing to remember too, dynos are fantastic for full power tuning and steady state loads light or heavy, but you must do a road tune to fully sort the thing under light load acceleration/deceleration and transient, something which is impossible to replicate on the dyno.

Also, picked up a couple of RB30 tbs with TPS, so we can replace that dodge one on there ATM.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
poeticjustice88

yeah i was under the impression that it was because we were tuning it with the dodgey map sensor. i was also pretty confident it was just a tune issue, so i am happy.

YAY for TPS.

As soon as i am confident that she is running right with no problems, i would like to yank out the metal heater pipe from the block and get started on the turbo setup. finally start ACTUALLY WORKING on the ol' girls power, not just maintenance.

Only thing that i need to get before i replace the whole turbo system is intercooler piping to suit the new setup. soon as i have that, everything is a straight bolt on. As long as that pesky little water pipe doesnt rear its ugly head as a big job.

Also have a brand spanking new microtech loom for the ECU. Would you be keen to help me out with that this friday night maybe damo ?

Give us something to do thats not trouble shooting, geez. :)

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Just use the stock TP switch.
Microtech does NOTHING with a resistive type tps with respect to tuning at all other than switch between IDLE and LOAD maps.

This is to purely smooth out low rpm/high vac running as high vac/low rpm idleing requires different fuelling to high vac running and usually, if tuned to idle purely off load maps will tend to run somewhat fluffy directly off idle.

A switch type (stock) or just use the switch in the VL type (has both) is all you require.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
samual

Post by samual »

Yeah what he said. Ha ha.
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:Just use the stock TP switch.
Microtech does NOTHING with a resistive type tps with respect to tuning at all other than switch between IDLE and LOAD maps.

This is to purely smooth out low rpm/high vac running as high vac/low rpm idleing requires different fuelling to high vac running and usually, if tuned to idle purely off load maps will tend to run somewhat fluffy directly off idle.

A switch type (stock) or just use the switch in the VL type (has both) is all you require.

L8r
E
I would think having the extra fueling coming from the 'accelerator pumps' to be better controlled through throttle movement rather than manifold vac, which would be why I'd be using variable TPS!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

same when i got mine tuned, they hooked the tps up variable
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

On far more capable ECU's you have the option to enable throttle enrichment based on TPS movement alone, MAP change, or in the case of Adaptronic, TPS alone, MAP alone, or MAP prediction.
Description of that is for another day. Suffice to say it is FAR superior to any other method.

Accelleration enrichment is done purely by change in MAP unless the ECU is configured for a TPS only tune and in this case, it ignores the MAP sensor alltogether.
Microtech dont even suggest fitting a variable TPS. Only to calibrate it if thats what you have OR are using TPS only tune which you might use with ITB's and extreme camshafts which cannot provide a reliable MAP signal at lower rpm.

Fuck around if you like but its a woftam. I can assure yoiu, I have frigged with both variable and switch type and it makes NO difference to throttle pump operation if the ECU is configged to run a MAP sensor tune only.

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

poeticjustice88 wrote:Image
Is that a "bump"? :wink:
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
poeticjustice88

no that is my failing when i tried uploading new profile pic
poeticjustice88

I just wanted to give a quick thank you to Damo for the awesome work he has done on my beast.

filled the tank on Friday night, all 35 litres of it, drove to Aroona on the sunshine coast and back, and used a total of 14 litres for 410 km. It works out to 3.41l/100km. I know that sounds impossible, but i swear to god, that is the mileage i got. I can not believe it.

Thanks Damo

Michael
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

A prius gets 4.9! Does sound impossible, how did you work it out?
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
poeticjustice88

i can only fit 35 litres in my tank, my fuel gauge reads correctly. When it says empty, i am.

odometer read 410 kms travelled, and gauge read just over half tank left. when i filled it, it only took 15 litres.

So, i had used 15 litres of fuel, and travelled 410 ks

Get Damo to tune your car, it does wonders lol

Michael