N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

poeticjustice's 84 ET 56K killer

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
JETETT

Post by JETETT »

Deano Exa wrote: I have a garret 2871r on my Exa ATM, Mine is super laggy, won't hit boost until like 4500...
i had a gt2876r on mine, i didnt fine it laggy at all off the line drag at the lights through the gears she picked up really quick and hit like a hammer and really push the lil e15 to high revs and some... i thought the key to my setup was a stage2 to cam shaft and and really big porting job which i did my self, i didnt like the idea of flow restriction in the head is why i dug a fair bit of meat out as the valve guides also.
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

Deano Exa wrote: Hey man,

Nice et. Like it a lot.
I have a garret 2871r on my Exa ATM. As soon as you wack yours on and tune it, PLEASE send me a pm and let me know how it goes, especially with your microtech setup! Mine is super laggy, won't hit boost until like 4500... I've got a fuel only microtech mt4 on it, and wanted to upgrade to something that had spark to tune it better. Sorry to hijack, but I'm really curious. I think the turbo is just too big for the 1.5l. I was almost abused for having such a big turbo on the exa by the place I got mine tuned at. He was offended by it! Haha but yer, it's really laggy on mine, so hope yours works out better.

Deano
i will man, just got back from getting some braided fittings for the turbo. as soon as i get this one oil line sorted, i will be throwing it all straight on.

will let you know how i go with it buddy.

as for the guys at the shop, fuck em !
as the end of the day, its not like you are putting a To4Z or GT35/40 on the bloody thing. its only one step up from the disco which is pretty much the be all and end all of turbos for these things

if they had have had a go at me for it, i would of walked away and given someone else my money!! whether its stupid or not, its my money! i get that it may not be the best option, but i say good on ya for doing it anyway.

/end rant

Michael
Deano Exa

Post by Deano Exa »

JETETT wrote:
Deano Exa wrote: I have a garret 2871r on my Exa ATM, Mine is super laggy, won't hit boost until like 4500...
i had a gt2876r on mine, i didnt fine it laggy at all off the line drag at the lights through the gears she picked up really quick and hit like a hammer and really push the lil e15 to high revs and some... i thought the key to my setup was a stage2 to cam shaft and and really big porting job which i did my self, i didnt like the idea of flow restriction in the head is why i dug a fair bit of meat out as the valve guides also.
Actually, mine is a gt2876r. I've got a stage 2 cam and polish and port job. To what extent I'm not certain as it was done before I bought the car. What kind of microtech did you have set up with it?

And Michael, I know what your talking about shops talking shit. Thing is it was after I picked the car up. They were a total rip off. Cost me like $400 plus for a diagnostic and to tell me my set up was shit and that my car with all it's gear should be putting out more power. Then, they damaged my injector o ring and couldn't find a replacement for me, so I did it myself.
Long story short, I didn't own a gtr or an evo, so I wasn't taken seriously. Funny thing is, 6 month before I had my 07 wrx Sri in there and they were all nice etc. fkn douchbags!

Anyways, back to it, good luck with the set up, and be sure to post up your results.

Dean
70RQE2001

Post by 70RQE2001 »

Hey man.
Went past you in my wrx tonight about 5:15 you were at the bottom of hebb st. Good to see the green machine out and about again, looks clean still :wink:
poeticjustice88

yep, would have been close to breaking down at that point.
poeticjustice88

fresh coat of wax and a little bit more tidying up here and there. thought i would show some pics, show off my baby

poeticjustice88

flywheel

ooh yeah, flywheel all machined up and ready to go back in.

Dexi told me that i can simply spin the flywheel around so that the ring gear bites in a different location, to avoid that heinous grinding sound like a cat in a blender. However the gentleman that faced up my flywheel said that this can not happen as the flywheel has to go on a certain way.

Was this fellow wrong, or is it a case of putting flywheel back on in same position and having to heat up the ring gear and shift it around ?

Michael
amraks

Post by amraks »

every time I see your avatar I think it don't look like a n12 Et.

maybe the avatar is sized weirdly or the colour of the car.

But looking at bigger pictures makes it look more like n12.
Amraks
poeticjustice88

probably the fact it has no grill and the two dirty bonnet scoops lol
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

No M8, your flywheel machinist is wrong.
The flywheel is not indexed to the crank can bolt on in six different angles but the engine will tend to come to rest at only two.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

im guessing it comes to rest at TDC ? how do i find TDC, Pull out plug one and wait for it to be at the top of its cycle ?

Just so that i can put the flywheel back in and not have the damaged teeth on the ring gear where the starter is active

Michael
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Nah it doesnt.

Just thinking about this, (Ive never bothered in the past) the engine will settle between a firing stroke and a compression stroke so Im guessing around 90 degrees ATDC is where it will tend to land?
Will depend on the cam timing/overlap of course but the theory seems sound to me.

M8, if the ring gear is that knackered then wouldnt it be wise to have a new on fitted while its out. A few extra bucks yes but 20 years of peace of mind.
Just get one for any E series motor. AFAIK they are all the same.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
poeticjustice88

it wasnt "that" knackered. reasonably worn in one spot, but the rest of it seemed good enough to not warrant a new one, might source one out now and put it in once i find out what is happening with this noise i am having

Michael
poeticjustice88

well, ECU sent off to microtech yesterday for new MAP sensor and check over.

Unfortunately, they are unable to do MAP sensor upgrades on the MT8 series ECU, so I am stuck with the 20 PSi standard one they come with.

Not a problem, i have no want for more then 20 PSI

For now :)

Michael
poeticjustice88

yep, microtech just got back to me saying the MAP sensor was completely FUBAR. They were amazed it was still reading at all.

With any luck, will have it back tomorrow, but expecting friday.

Thank god, i miss my car. been driving my brothers GTI-R around, its fun and all, but i want my lil noisey back !!!

Michael