N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

86 ET Turbo

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
room42

86 ET Turbo

Post by room42 »

Hey Guys :)

I bought this car last weekend for $600. There was too many things wrong with it to list here. But the symptoms were: wouldnt rev over 4500, bov didn't work, only 1 psi boost, missing like a bastard, stunk like crap and running so rich the plugs would foul up and come out wet after about 20 min. Lol the thermofans were running backwards and directly off the battery.

So I spent all last weekend sorting it out and the girlfriend was pissed. Today after getting a resistor for the missing coolant sensor :roll: and putting some iridium plugs in it, it goes like the proverbial shower. Believe me i did more to it last weekend to get it to run right tho!!! It has a t25g on it. When it hit boost I realized that I need an aftermarket boost gauge :D Friggin hell my missus will shit herself when she drives it tonight :twisted:

I got some interior and body work to do and then it should be sweet.
Nathan
Last edited by room42 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
room42

Post by room42 »

Image haha my new coolant sensor for now is a spot on variable resistor thing
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

welcome to the forum dude. it looks like it has seen better days but you sound enthusiastic enough to get it looking good again. good to see you figured out the over fuelling issue. i think most of us have ended up with the old stuffed coolant temp sensor or missing one before :D

make sure to keep us updated with your progress :wink:
baz

Post by baz »

This use to be a friends of mine, His the one who got hit in the side, He purchased it from another friend of mine
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
room42

Post by room42 »

Hey thanks for the welcome! I was thinking that someone on here must know this car. I'm pretty sure I blew the head gasket this arvy cos it was going fine and then missing on one - two cylinders. Plus a bit of oil was leaking out the back of the motor onto the exhaust. Oh well. I spose there would be a copper head gasket that I could put in. I wonder how much boost it was running? I think that I also put a hole in the intake manifold gasket somewhere cos its got a leak somewhere and it doesnt seem to be from a hose...I think next time I block up the wastegate diaphram hose I'd better have a boost gauge :D I'll swap the pics over tomorrow cos I gave it a clean this arvy as well and it looks miles better. I'll get a pic of the good side.
sgs

Post by sgs »

Those oil pressure sendors can leak like a stuck pig
Damo

Post by Damo »

room42 wrote:I think next time I block up the wastegate diaphram hose I'd better have a boost gauge :D
Its going to be a expesive short lived car if you just "block-up" your wasegate line!!!!!!
Welcome to turbos. :roll:

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

Damo wrote:
room42 wrote:I think next time I block up the wastegate diaphram hose I'd better have a boost gauge :D
Its going to be a expesive short lived car if you just "block-up" your wasegate line!!!!!!
Welcome to turbos. :roll:

Damo
:lol:

i was going to write the same last night but was too lazy and tired. there was some young trend setters down my way a few years ago that thought it would be a fantastic idea to weld up the wastegate on their VL/T. needless to say it was a short lived idea! :D
room42

Post by room42 »

:) i do know better to block up the hose but i just had to see! it went harder on boost than my efi 5L ute. I'll check the sensor, cheers mate. When I get the head off I'll match all the in/out ports to the manifolds, if it needs it. I'll get some gauges so next time I let the turbo loose I can see the a/f ratio, boost pressure, oil pressure, and exhaust temp. Should make it live a little longer. Head gaskets are cheap enough and easy to fix ;)
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

room42 wrote:I just had to see! it went harder on boost than my efi 5L ute.
:lol: I don't mean to be a smart ass but injected 5 litres are easy as well as 5.7's. with a bit more work and boost these little hairdresser cars can move along fairly quickly.
room42

Post by room42 »

hey Ash, sounds good mate. i ported and matched the intake manifold on the ute i had and it would definately spin the wheels easier than the pulsar but cos the pulsar only weighs 950 kg, it makes up for it. The bloke i bought the car off said the guy before the guy he bought it off, or something like that, did some work to my et. Bigger pistons or something. Could have been full of it but who knows?? It has a 'better' exhaust system on it, it needs bending to line up right with the rear bumper properly. I'll test the head on the weekend and see whats up. The miss might just be another fouled plug cos the afm was turned stupidly rich. The plugs are black as bastards....I'll get there. At least I know the thing goes hard so now I can plan out what 'needs' to happen. :)
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. you'll have a ball when you get yours right. some of us here have fairly quick rear wheelers as well but we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D
madn12

Post by madn12 »

^^ well said lol
85 n12 n/a manual pulsar - extractors | muffler | coilovers <gone
86 n12 et pulsar - vl tb | pod | coilovers | full kit
88 tn magna with worked n/a motor
96 te magna dumped on 18"s
02 tj VRX
room42

Post by room42 »

well a cheap set of plugs fixed the miss. I've got the afm screw 5 turns out and that seems to be where its good...well not fouling the plugs anyway. I guess i need a proper fuel tune tho. After plugging the wastegate hose back in, it runs about 4 psi :( its not quick enough. Also there is intermittant oil smoke coming from cyl 4. Time to check the valve guide seals, valve stem clearance and...rings and piston clearance. Obviously a new set of big ends and mains will be going in. I asked acl about getting a copper head gasket and they said they'd make me one if I gave em a template. I'll just make my own. Including the cost of buying it and fixing all the last persons fuck ups, for about $1100 it'll be completely sorted and have a reco engine. :wink:
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Forget the copper gasket M8.
They are largely a woftam on anything but the biggest boost engines and Im talking 30 psi plus here.

Unless you are going to spring for the o-ringing to go with it and be happy to put up with the inevitable coolant leaks.

Use a stock HG and your troubles will be over. Use a copper HG and your troubles will just begin.

If you must insist on wasting your hard earned on a stupid solide copper gasket then get in touch with Ridgecrest Industries (somewhere in Vic)
They make one for you straight up.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.