N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Stelio's Pulsar

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

the fender taped thingie???yea...remove all rust...first thing...and and bondo primer all that then make it smooth to body...yea...i will take care of it...for sure...the tape was temporary...lol...
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

got the head in...all thats left is camshaft...chain...tensioner...distributor...and all the other plug ins...ill try to have pics up b4 i start working on it again...
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

it was raining...but i got most of it in...got the cover...intake and all the emissions parts in today...dont hv pics of all it together...was lazy to go inside to get the camera...
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

good news...but sort off a let down...car starts now...but timming is really off...and motor is unresponsive when i step on the gas...almost as if the cable is disconnected...

does any1 have any idea?i dont have a timming light...i plan to borrow one from skool this monday since its a weekend...
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, I reckon youve answered your own question.

Youve tackled a job of this magnitude and complexity and you DONT have a 10 dollar timing light to check things out???????
What would happen if you got the timing too far the "other" way and its detonated itself to death???
All that work, for nothing.. possibly.

This goes for all, not just you dude but it might pay handsomely to have the appropriate tools and equipment at hand BEFORE tackling the big jobs.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

4sure...thanx...lol...i hope it dont detonate...lol...
baz

Post by baz »

You can hear pinging quite easily, But if you don't know what pinging is then your simply fucked!..On the other note, Cars that run coil packs & no dizzy, You can't check the timing unless you have a computer hooked upto it, So basically what I did what my r32, 180, s13 etc was to advance the timing bit by bit until I heard pinging, Then backed it off the slightest
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
n12sumfin

Post by n12sumfin »

baz wrote:You can hear pinging quite easily, But if you don't know what pinging is then your simply fucked!..On the other note, Cars that run coil packs & no dizzy, You can't check the timing unless you have a computer hooked upto it, So basically what I did what my r32, 180, s13 etc was to advance the timing bit by bit until I heard pinging, Then backed it off the slightest
lol dont do that, thats friggin stupid, i have checked timing before in my old ca18 and it involved using a magnetic field timing light, may cost a bit more but the use has been great.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Exactly right.
Its a seriously ghetto method of setting timing that came out of the dark ages. You could get away with this method back in the old lower compression, higher octane fuel, points/coil pushrod carby days and achieve acceptable results but should NEVER be relied upon other than to get the engine running initially on a modern high BMEP engine and particularly a forced induction engine.

Thing with detonation is its occuring well BEFORE you can actually hear it! Is why so many engines are lunched even tho the driver did not report hearing any pinging at all!!

Any half arsed dyno tuner will use a dedicated knock "sensor" (microphone) attached to the engine with sophisticated acoustic filtering and listening thru cans (headphone) to block out outside noises.
THIS, is the only method of listening to detonation that can be trusted in any way in the longer term.

Also, different engines transmit pinging sounds differently, some are very obvious and others, like my VG30det are very subtle.

A decent inductive style timing light will work by simply clamping the pickup around the coil wires from the ignitor.
There is enough of a pulse there to read off.

For those who are really cheap arsed and only spring for those 2 bob inline type timing lights, just unbolt and lay the coilpack on top of the motor and using an old plug lead or 2 connected up and read away. How hard is that?

L8r
E
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

bey detonation...do you mean like a big big kabooomm???so if that's the case...im not starting my car ever again till i get the timing light and all...could it be the tps or the maf that is making it run really crappy??cuz b4 i did the head gasket...it run fine...it started fine...no problems...
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Not so much the big bang m8, Just a slow and painful death.
Just ensure your timing is correct BEFORE driving the shit out of it.

There could be a crapload of things causing ur strange running M8.

Look hard for air leaks in the intake, any pipes and hoses left off letting air in.

The list is endless.

L8r
E
sgs

Post by sgs »

Yeh I ran my car 10 deg advanced for a few months because im a bit of a noob :oops: car now burns burns a fair bit of oil FML!!
StelioLow

Post by StelioLow »

wow...that sounds deadly...slow and painful death...ouch...ill look over it again...also heard that water in your fuel is not good either...so daym...so much to deal with...
StelioLow

Hello ladies and the gentlemen...update on my pulsar...

Post by StelioLow »

I know its been a while...since last time i posted something....but i only bring good news...

my car runs like a champ now...smooth like jaguar...so no more issues with the engine...

stuff i had done ever since last time?

-wire tuck
-painted engine bay
-battery relocated in trunk..because all the kewl kids do it..
-new stiffer rear suspension..still to do the fronts
-no more taped fenders..now just no tape..welding them together as soon as the front suspension is done.
new wheels...14x7 supra celicas..
-roof rack =)...just because...more downforce...because i totally need it...because i go so fast...lol...anyways...
-repainted bumpers and grille with plasti dip...good stuff...
-removed all uneccessary emmissions control bullshits..
-new full custom made exhaust piping..
-tinted headlights and tail lights..
-new shifter..not major..but wat the heck..
-brand new and poly utherane or urethane somthing filled motor mounts..lol..

man...now that i look back..thats quite a lot...and its almost at its peak..i'm happy with the power..even thought its stock..

why...because it's faster than most 80's cars..faster than a shit load of 90's cars..and some 00's cars..offcourse 00's cars rape me on straight aways...and civics cant touch me...

anyboo...i think i'm at the point in which i wanna get a new car...so i'm thinking...

The E30 BMW..drift the sheeet out of it.. =)

and now for the best part...some pictures!!!

ENJOI!

Image[/img]