N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

SevPP and my Exa

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Don't know about the US models. Only that Aussie N12 Astras had power steering and I'm sure they had a faster rack. So scouring wreckers might come up with something but due to the age of these cars now there probably wouldn't be many left in wreckers.
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Damo wrote:I'm sure the 3rd grove in the crank balancer was for P/S
Agreed, my workshop manual even shows a belt configuration diagram which shows, apart from the alternator belt; one belt for A/C and another for P/S.

The Pulsar Parts Langley did have both A/C and P/S, have a look (too bad the crank balancer isn't visible on any of the photos, but you get the idea):

Photo source: http://www.pulsarparts.com.au/Services/ ... p?Ref=1726
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Well got one hub/caliper assembly finished. Now for the other side. If all goes well should have it done by end of week. I tend to be a bit lazy in the cold weather haha!

Will probably end up using Intima S/R pads as a mate is a dealer for them. Another friend is using them on a WRX with 17in slicks and says they're good so probably go that way.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Got longer new n13 wheel studs and nuts at Repco this morning. Not cheap. They ended up dearer per stud than the ARP chro-mo 1/2, 3.5 inch long wheel studs I use in my Mazda!

Think one must've been a dud as after I did the nut up it wouldn't undo. I ended up breaking it trying. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the quality of the studs. (Nice products). The others have been ok.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Evo twin spot brakes are on with the Intima SR pads. Just have to bleed them now. The banjo bolt holding the Exa lines had to be cut down as it bottoms out in the evo caliper.

The slicks turned out to be a no go so I'll be running the Yoki A048s.
Checked the front struts. The old monroe gas struts aren't terribly healthy but they will have to do for now. Budget. Build after all.

Got a few more things to do before hitting the track. Can't wait. Will get some more pics up soon.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Well I've got Winton on this weekend. The Lemon Cup which I'm running the Exa in. Its a Tampered Motorsport day incorporating the lemon cup- $1500 challenge.

So I've done the brakes, got the a048s on. Gotta roll-pump the guards, change the oil and we're just about ready to go.
Went to setup my water injection but I can't find the Hobbs switch. Might go without for this weekend.

Now I haven't mentioned this but I lent the Exa to my sister and her husband some time ago (Wodonga). Basically they ran it into the ground. Cracked windscreen, top to bottom, air filter missing, dirt everywhere and to top it off their neighbour backed into it caving in the panel behind the drivers door. Turbo isn't great but will have to do. Haven't comp checked the motor yet. Still runs well. Try to help people and that's what you get. Football people- no idea.... Not happy but I have to take some of the blame for lending it to them.

Just hope all goes well this weekend.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

you know what they say about lending your wife and how it relates to everything else :wink:

i might have to come out for a look this weekend. did you end up going to performance car mania last weekend?
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

yeah man come out for sure. $20 for passengers. Take ya for a run.

I was at PCM Friday til 2.30pm and again Sunday 12pm til finish. Two mates had their RX7s there. Thw white one with the Tampered sticker is the one that runs in the 6hr team with me and the other white one is a mate from wang.

Winton is sunday
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

i was there Saturday after lunch. i will hopefully get out Sunday. i wouldn't mind going for a spin since my ET won't be seeing the track for sometime yet.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

So checking over the car I noticed the dump pipe bolts were loose and one was missing. Tried fitting a new bolt but it wouldn't go in. Decided to undo the remaining 3. First one easy. Second one was tight as. Could work it back and forward a little bit. It was loose as the spring washer had no pressure from the bolt head at all. It snapped. F..k it. Last one started to undo and seems to have jammed up.

Not looking particularly good for the weekend now. How does a car get into such disrepair over such a short time. Lesson leant.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Think all will be ok. Going full bogan styles! A mate is gonna weld the dump to the turbo. Oh yeah professional as! Turbo is half stuffed and the dump is a piece of s..t that doesn't fit properly anyway so it doesn't matter. My mate is a qualified welder and has a fair bit of experience welding cast so hopefully it'll hold haha! Shall see!
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

as long as it holds for Sunday i guess :lol:
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Only needs to hold for scrutineering haha!
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

:lol: so should we listen out for the really loud turbo then.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Oh the brakes! How I love good brakes! Took it for a quick run and the brakes a scary good! Intima SR pads Ferodo race fluid and evo brakes, just dandy!

Wasn't making boost real well. Think turbo is well on its way out so i'll see if I can kill it on Sunday.

Few little bits and pieces to finish it off. Can't wait. Just hope it holds up long enough to get a few laps down!