N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Raddavey's 84 N12 ET Pulsar {Updated Drag Video Page 7}

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Thanks man. Yeah hopefully i don't come home with a car in bits. It should be ok. I'll try take a video with my phone if they let me.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

No luck :( The Wolf is having problems communicating with the software. I need to send it to wolf to get the firmware upgraded.
I'm also having a fueling issue which they think is the fuel pump. He did an initial run just to check everything and had to abort as it was running over 15:1 afr. Chucked in a heap of fuel and it richened up but the injectors were already at 90% duty cycle. So there wasn't much point tuning for more boost because it would just lean out.

So i'm going to put in a walbro pump and send the ecu in for an upgrade.
Then book it again.

What sucks though is it cost me the minimum 2hours dyno time even though there was nothing really he could do.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

damn that sucks! what pump were you running? the standard 1? i hope you get it all sorted soon.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Post by thepurplepulsar »

Ah bummer dude, I was looking forward to hearing the results for your car. There's always something that has to go wrong.

Luckily they picked up on the pump now before any damage was done.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

I have a r33 skyline pump in there. It's been in there for about a year. However i'm not totally convinced its the pump. The fuel pressure was checked on a run and it didn't drop. But the tuner said he has seen that happen before but the flow isn't there.

I think it's been running that lean for some time. Pretty crazy really that it's still together. At least its now much safer on boost.

It wasn't a total waste of time i did pick up 10-20hp at all points below 5800rpm.

The boost wasn't very constant and was fluctuating from 10psi to 12psi, which according to the tuner is because i've hooked up my MAC boost valve incorrectly, so i'll change that too. But it hit around 170hp at 5000rpm and held it to the end of the dyno run (7500rpm) so the power isn't even dropping yet. Which are some good signs. With some boost and timing it looks like it will make some decent power.
237hp@18psi
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

I've ordered a walbro intank fuel pump and a TPS sensor.
This weekend i'll hook up the idle valve and pull out the ecu so i can send it to wolf for an upgrade.
237hp@18psi
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Sounds like you are having some problems with that wolf? What version of software are you running on your laptop?

What are the specs of the Walbro pump?

darren.
Race it.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

I've tried it with the latest version 4 software and had the same problems as the tuner with the admin software. He tunes wolfs every day and said he's never seen the problem we were getting. I'm sending my ecu to wolf to get upgraded and they'll check the communications. However i'm thinking its possible its my ECU to PC cable.

The walbro pump puts out 255lph, so more than enough. Good for high 200kw's atws. Its a genuine walbro. They are $160 from ebay.

It's possible the r33 pump got stuffed when i ran out of fuel the week after i installed it. It wasn't mounted as low as the stock pump and i was parked on a slope (so the fuel was on the left side of the tank). Pumping air can burn pumps out because they rely on fuel to cool them.

I've also checked the FPR and after i turn the car off the pressure drops to nothing within 30seconds, so the fuel pumps one way valve also isn't working.
237hp@18psi
Damo

Post by Damo »

raddavey, those pictures are supreme :shock: Very nice.

Thats a great effort at the manifold aswell, top stuff. Also, the bay looks neat as.

Did you notice much difference with the manifold?

"I have a r33 skyline pump in there. It's been in there for about a year. However i'm not totally convinced its the pump. The fuel pressure was checked on a run and it didn't drop. But the tuner said he has seen that happen before but the flow isn't there."

Do you know how much fuel pressure it was running when it was leaning out?
FJ's are good for 400cc at 42psi arn't they. Even with the 36psi base of the stock reg thats still more than 360cc each or at an absolute minimum 155-160 engine kw @ 90%D/C.

Have you had the injectors flow tested?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Cheers Damo. The pics have been up there for months!! LOL
There was definitely an increase in the top end of the engine with slightly more turbo lag with the manifold, however i did the exhaust at the same time. This is also untuned with the exhaust setup and bigger turbo so hopefully the tuning will give some further results.

About 4 years ago when i got the injectors i had them cleaned and tested and he said "flows around 400cc".

One of the mechanics at the tuners checked to see if the fuel pressure dropped on boost and it didn't. However I am unsure what it was running on boost, and the dyno tuner said he had seen a few cases where the fuel pump was delivering the pressure but not the fuel flow.
I know it makes no sense to me even he didn't understand it. But it was the fuel pump in those cases. I did find a couple of posts on some forums that also said this was the case.
I set the fuel regulator to 38psi (or 36? can't remember) on 0bar (gauge). So it should have been around 48psi on 10psi of boost pressure.

Even still there's no way the injectors are running out at 170hp. And the chances of all of them being stuffed?? pretty unlikely. Usually one goes and then the corresponding piston goes with it.

Anyway when the pump arrives ill swap it and put a fresh filter on too. It should be pretty obvious if it worked with bucked loads of black smoke spewing from the exhaust.
237hp@18psi
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

There's something up with the electrics on the car. Which may actually be why its running lean. A few weeks ago i went to start it after a few days of no running and nothing happened when i turned the key (the ecu came on etc but the starter motor didn't crank). A few tries then it turned over and started.

This happened again not long ago. I played with the battery terminals (which were tight) then it started.

Anyway when it was on the dyno the tuner started it once and the ecu came up with a turbo timer relay error, which he said is the ecu protecting it self due to a voltage surge. It did this again on wednesday and again this morning. But this morning after it did it once everything went dead. There was no power to anything. All the leads from the battery looked fine. I pulled off the earth and reconnected it. Then power came back on after i did this a few times.

This is all a bit strange to me. I'm thinking its not earthing well or there is a small short somewhere. I'll go and get a new long earth lead tomorrow and run it from the battery (in boot) to the engine. I'll check over the power lead too it may have frayed somewhere, and do some tests with the mulitmeter.
237hp@18psi
Damo

Post by Damo »

To make sure thats not an issue, grab a bit of 16mm2 cable and earth the block to the chassis. I would imagine that if there is a dicky connection between the two, you may come up with some random faults.

BTW, in the Autronic manual it makes a big deal of having all the ECU eathing points at the same location to prevent eddy currents flowing from one earthing point to another. How are your earths set up?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Well i think i've fixed all electrical problems. There was a few dodgy connections and i made an extra earth. The weak missfire on low loads is now gone completely and i haven't had the startup problem yet.

All the ecu earths are connected to the same spot. From memory

I must say the car is running better than ever. Its spooling up way quicker than before and just smoking the tyres with the stab of the throttle.

I welded on a fitting and connected up an xf idle control valve but i couldn't get it to work properly. It was basically staying wide open the whole time. But i had to go out so couldn't look at it longer.

Still got to send the wolf back (i'm borrowing a mates for the moment), install TPS and install fuel pump.
237hp@18psi
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Small update. I've installed a new walbro fuel pump, tps, o2 sensor and idle air valve. Got it running in closed loop now and overrun fuel cut is enabled. My ECU should arrive back from wolf on monday so i can return this one to my mate.

I've got to put a new intake manifold gasket on this weekend because the silicon gasket is leaking, then i think its good to go. If i'm happy with everything i'll book it in again for a tune.

I was actually going to sacrifice modifying the car because we are trying to get finance for a house. But i start a new job in 2 months time with excellent pay so i'm going to keep the ET and run it at the drags soon. If it doesn't make the power i want i'll get some bigger injectors and bigger turbo and retune.

So that's my blog for now.
237hp@18psi
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

raddavey wrote:..........
I was actually going to sacrifice modifying the car because we are trying to get finance for a house. But i start a new job in 2 months time with excellent pay so i'm going to keep the ET and run it at the drags soon. If it doesn't make the power i want i'll get some bigger injectors and bigger turbo and retune.
Good stuff mate, it's good when things like that just fall into place.

Good work on the car too BTW.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================