N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

N12 Pulsar

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
paul w

Post by paul w »

No worries - The only limits of adhesion I'm exploring at present is in my head, regarding a bloody woman!

They're all insane, and some more than others...

I'll adjust the type pressure to your recommendations and see how it goes.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Got the tyre pressures down to your suggested amount.

It seems better but not really gone on a long drive yet, so will get used this this then pump back up to 40psi to note the change.

Also, off to Adelaide shortly for a family thing, and was going by plane but now looking forward to a drive (from Blue Mtns) to pick up some books, then come back via Vic and do some fly fishing. About 8/9 days all up. Sounds good, eh?

So, I'm thinking of spares just in case. A trip to the wreckers got me a starter motor, distributor and housing for (and) the thermostat, plus some other bits of electrical stuff.

But...I had a wheel bearing go in my cherished Ford EB sedan once at a small town (awesome touring car) and was lucky the parts are available. What so the n12?

What other bits would you suggest to carry? I'm pretty confident with its overall reliability, but it's a 26 year old car, after all. What spare parts to take on a big trip, so I'm as self-repairable as possible, or at least have stuff a local garage would not have?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Radiator Hoses, fan belt, set of points and a chunk of ally tube and some hose clamps you can use to splice up a heater hose quickly. Oh yes, an NRMA membership!!!
All I can suggest.
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Got all that!
Thanks for the reply.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Been meaning to do an update for a while.
Lots of touring, mostly to an around the Snowy Mts for fishing.
There have been a few problems mechanically, mostly due to ham-fisted mechanics.
A front wheel bearing needed replacement, and the mechanic fond they all needed replacing, so got the job done. Cost a bit, but I don't mind paying for a job well done. Or, so I thought.
The car ran beautifully smooth, but unfortunately, the mechanic didn't replace the shims to fit, so on the drive back from the Snowys to the Blue Mtns, got to Canberra only to have the left front wheel suddenly start whirring, so stopped an called the NRMA.
This was New Years Eve, so was lucky that the NRMA bloke knew of a garage that was open.
They suggested it was the bearing, so I limped back to my mate''s place at Cooma. A mechanic there said it could be fixed, but it would take four ays to get the parts (ue to the New Year break).
Great. Anyway, hung around Cooma for a few days (missing a great NY party), and picked up the car only to be told by the mechanic he didn't have the right sized spacers, so used what he could.
"It should get you back," he said, "that's $$$$$, thanks..."
Great. Anyway, drove back to the Blueys, can running sweetly until Golbern, when the same wheel starting whirring again.
Great. Drove sedately for a while, then figured bugger it, just drive, so drove back to the Blueys without problem.
The same mechanic admitted he'd made a mistake - and had done so with the other front wheel, too. Anyway, I pai for the new bearing, an he i the labour for free.
In retrospect, should have got it all for free - it was his mistake - but I just wanted the car back.
Since then, it has been going fine, an so has the other front wheel, so I guess it's okay, but it's a bugger - do I leave it as is, and hope it oes not clag up, or get the bearing fixed properly, with the right shims? I'm thinking of the latter, to be honest. I want to tour more, and it's always in the back of my mind.
The good news, is that I now know how far once can travel on whining bearings. One ex-mechanic reckons he drove a car like that for over a year.
Other wise, it has all been great, apart from a dirty jet.
Drove back from the Snowys this week and it ran like a dream, averaging 6.5km/lt and very smooth.
Got driving lights fitted, great! Make a huge difference for night riving on country roads.
A few bits have fallen off, like the front hubcaps and the side stripes, but I'm less concerned about the looks that the mechanics.
The bed is awesome. Lots of room and very comfy. My carpenter mate is going to do an upgrade, so all the back is covered with bed, and all the gear stored in a roof pod.
Also made an enclosed mozzie net that covers the entire inside. Will get a photo shortly.
Got some mozzie net and attached a bed sheet to the ends. Using two nylon cords attached to the rear vision mirror, and the other ends attached to two hooks stuck to the rear hatch.
The net is slung between the two using small, strong clips (like small clothes pegs). I can access in via the rear (where the pillows are - the extra mozzie net is just bundled up behind the pillows, and via the side door.
I also use other pegs and nylon cord to stretch it out over the inside. Takes all of five minutes (actually, less) to set up. With the rear hatch down, the whole lot lays flat on the bed.
If I need the hatch closed (i.e. raining), just re-clip the net higher.
Inside is roomy and spacious, and completely free of mozzies. Excellent!
Really enjoy driving the little thing around. Bit slow on hills, but who cares? It just means I slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Will try and get photos up
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Glad to see its all happening now Paul.
See my artical on wheel bearings.
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Bed in car. Lots of room to stretch out: 230cm. The mozzie net covers the entire sleeping area. I leave the rear hatch open, unless it's raining, when it's left with a small gap for a bit of fresh air. The stick was a precaution - I put up a small, firm board against the inside of the rear, and with a pillow against it, is a very good back rest, so I can read, etc. Just don't want that hatch falling on me! I usually use my river wading staff, but forgot it for this trip.

Near Lake Jindabyne a few days ago.

Camped here for a couple of nights. Very cold this morning!