N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Ty's N12 EXA (formerly EA-73-XA)

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
EA-73-XA

Ty's N12 EXA (formerly EA-73-XA)

Post by EA-73-XA »

Name: Ty Kristen

Year/ Model: 1984 EXA

Colour: Morpheous Purple (originally Gun Metal Grey)

Period of ownership: 2 years

Performance: Not tested

Engine Mods: T3/T4 turbo, Custom manifold, plumbing and turbo fitting, 3inch exhaust, etc

Interior Mods: currently interior is being finished with the seats needing the trim.

Exterior Mods: EXA sideskirts, shaved body moulds

Wheels: 17 inch Vault Krystals

Other: theres a massive list of mods done, parts to be fitted, and a fat bok of receipts...

Future Plans: ECU, slam it and drive it

being different in the way an N12 EXA is usually moddified, I strayed away from the JDM style, to build a sex spec street car, worthy of a show place....not usually seen with an n12 EXA.

the theme was simle, but had to be neat, clean and lush, and i think iiv acheived that with my EXA.

a 2 year labour of love, with many headaches, many custom modifications, and many late nights.... every part of this car is modified in some way, right down to the steering and engiine mounting components,

another aspect of the car, is that EVERYTHING done to it, including the paint and motor rebuild was performed by me. being a spraypainter it helps to acheive the rather large hurdle that spraying a car presents.

the e15et, is stuffed with forged Arias items, and features an e16 crank and rods. the head is ported and the surfaces are polished, a crow cams billet camshaft keeps the timing in check with a rather subtle lump at idle.

having previously run a T28 with the same car, i was a little disappointed in the way a T28 came on boost, fairly early on a 1.5, so with the 1.7 capacity, a GCG built Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid was fitted with a custom tuned length manifold and with custom oil drain and feed fitted.

the 12 psi blown from this monster turbocharger is fed threw custom 2.5 inch stainless piping and massive hybrid front mount intercooler.

its all wasted through a 3inch from turbo back exhaust, with an 8 inch Xforce muffler, with is quieter than you would be led to think.

the interior is a masterpiece, with a custom fitted N13 EXA centre console which adds the feature of a centre glove box.

The interior had been fully retrimmed/painted in white, a colour many fear to use, with coloured parts matching the exterior of the car,

A set of Calibre gauges adorns the dash cowling, with Oil pressure, boost and Air/fuel being monitored.

the front brakes are standard items with oversized pistons and oversized master cylinder.

the steering rack is an N13 item, still without power steering, its still lighter than the n12 rack...

front and rear strutbraces make a once flimsy ride into something at least able to maintain someform of rigidity.

wheelspin is controlled by the 17 inch wheels

i have a mt8, king springs superlows, front and rear lip, with custom tailights and rear bar to be fitted in the near future,

feedback

Pics:

T3T4 hybrid, FMIC and MT8 =

EA-73-XA now known as DR-34-MN
EA-73-XA

Post by EA-73-XA »

i tried to do a write up as if it were on that DVD... lol

in the photos, can you see the rear lights have been colour coded? thoughts?

thanks E,

its been alot of work and still alot of work to do still, many hours spent re wiring the dashboard loom, and tracing bad earths, the n13 console was rather easy i must say, theres a trick to it ;)

the factory ashtray was removed and a custom surround for the DVD player had to be made up, as it is relocated to the centre, not the side as in factory....

other mods are,

battery relocation to boot with vent line and circuit breaker
modified rear struts to fit the 215/45R17 tyres!!!! (yes they spin freely)

CUSTOM CROSSMEMBER: originally from a magna, bolted from rear engine mount to radiator support with a custom EXA/Magna front engine mount. keeps the engine steady without sacrificing too much comfort inside.

catch can
fuel reg
boost controller
custom mounts for all above

custom head sheild (manifold)
10 LED rear eyeline taillight (originally an undercar neon)

a 128 LED undercar lighting kit (im a ricer)

so many more, little and insignificant modifications

if you would like more pics of the car and its build up from before i owned it.....http://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p365/ea73xa/

or ill just take more

EA-73-XA

Post by EA-73-XA »

n12sumfin,

the rack is N13 ASTRA, non powersteer, i looked into the power option and decided against it for 2 reasons,

1. running another belt and lines.
2. torque steer would send the wheel even more crazy than what it is....

the n13 is a little lighter, dont ask me why but its easier to turn lock to lock, with a half turn less than the N12.... and they r way more available for servicing.

you remember it when luke owned it? was a while ago, different motor in it now, his one melted number 4 and died a smokey death....now sitting down the back of my yard under the trees and bushes.... shame, that motor owned many a R33.

it went off the road after that and spent 3 months in my garage with a full rebuild with different block, then once running, went into my work and spent 10 months under paint and panel, now you see it here,

the build up pics are in my photobucket album.

still the same wheel on it!

quite a following this car has had, and it seems to be breaking new ground with its make over....

EA-73-XA

Post by EA-73-XA »

more pics?
Before I owned her (yuck)

High Fill Primer

Edging her out in her new colour

here you can see the depth of the colour, which the pic still doesnt do it justice

make no mistake, the car IS registered WITHOUT the EA-73-XA plate, it now wears standard RTA issue

EA-73-XA

Post by EA-73-XA »

lol @ turboZ

kid nismo.

how long is a piece of string?

ANSWER: depends where u cut it...

a sprayjob like can be over night, it all depends on what you want.

my job took 10 months because i had alot of repairs and a little bit of rust removal.

and i didnt spend EVERY day on it either

i stripped the car back to bare metal. high fill primed it, blocked it and primed it AGAIN, just to get it straight as a board. and its still not perfect in some areas.

High fill,

180 block

high fill

180 block
240 block
320 block
400 block
600 wet block
800 wet block
1200 wet block
1500 wet block

mask it
paint it

*with guide coat in between EVERY paper grade ensures a dead straight finish

N12sumfin:

yeah i remember EA73XA running a T3 of sorts but it was short lived due to detonation and leaning..... so he went back to stock manifold and T28.

i, sofar hav had NIL lean or detonation problems with the T3/4 on standard computer, and its a different computer to the one luke had....i suspect a foul tune in that unit,

2.5 Litres of paint and i only just had enough. + 5 litres of clear

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

OK
The heavy hand of moderation has fallen on this thread.
Remember, this is a FORUM, and an OPEN FORUM and so positive and not so positive comments are going to be made in a members ride thread. Expect that ......yer? So grab a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up.

I for one really appreciate how much time and energy, not to mention money has been put into that EXA, However, I dont particularly like it, which is simply MY opinion of it, but....respect to its builder!!!
Ty and id say the vast majority of others prolly dont like my fondness of "rats" (outwardly shitboxes but big on performance) either but thats his/their perogitive and I get that. Cool!

Those of you who dont like it either, fine, its an open forum so say so if you feel you must, but make it constructive and intelligent rather than flames and personal insults.

There, nice clean thread, all better!

L8r
Evan
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
ctchme

Post by ctchme »

Hey Ty, if you still have this amazing baby, you should bring it out to car night again, i'll be bringing mine out in about a year, after i restore mine, but will admit, the photos dont do it justice, looks much better when seeing it in person, great work man
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Hey, what are those skirts?

They look way better than the normal ones.
japcrap

Post by japcrap »

Kimmo wrote:Hey, what are those skirts?
They look way better than the normal ones.
they look like ET skirts
Nature makes only dumb animals. We owe the fools to society.
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

japcrap wrote:they look like ET skirts
I agree.
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash