N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Ugly duckling Turbo Prairie

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

personally I like what Kimmo has done in his photochop. It kinda looks like a Subaru Forester GT.
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Hey Peoples
I have not done much to the duck lately.
but I pulled it out to take some better pictures.

This was my first go, tried it as a HDR

Looks better in print, LCD screens loose so much def.
I am going to make a full poster out of these prints to hang on the wall.

More soon.

PS: If anyone in Sydney what to do a shoot of there car, let me know.
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Last edited by Valentich on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

like the style mate im starting a simular project down here in tassie would be rather interested in knowing how your going to fit th e15et in ??????
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

n12et_exa wrote:like the style mate im starting a simular project down here in tassie would be rather interested in knowing how your going to fit th e15et in ??????
e15et already in there man, go back through the build thread
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

n12et_exa wrote:like the style mate im starting a simular project down here in tassie would be rather interested in knowing how your going to fit th e15et in ??????
Cool, good to hear, so you doing a prairie too or some thing similar.
PM me if you got any questions.
n12et_exa

Post by n12et_exa »

yeah prairie mate with the e15et the plan is to build a sleeper version though make it look grandpa spec and still pull a good quarter time XD
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

*** UPDATE ***

As I need a car for a bit, I decided to throw everything I got into getting the prairie registered.
It wound not even be close to being the finished project, but as I need a car, I thought I will kill 1 bird + 1 Duck with 1 stone.

What it need to finish.
OK, getting the ffffing thing to run smooth would be a start.
I just got radiator reconditioned.
I have ripped the T28 off to put the T25 on (looking at the T28, I cant see anything wrong
with the T28, no shaft play, anyway I wanted the T25 as I thought is was more usable day to day).
I have to go to a turbo shop to get a new flange because the outlet is different,
also at least one of the plumbing is totally different.

While there is room, I guess I'll change the starter motor, It was a bit dickey.
The Battery relocation was, well let say, the wire is running over the seat to back,
with the batter sitting on the floor, so I should maybe put it in a box and run the wires better.

I just got a new set of Rims, mainly because I have to lift the front up, Its too damn low,
the low point is 8 cm off the ground, so not quite legal.
Replacing the 14's with 16's and jigging the numbers, I worked out to stay legal I can put,
well there is tones of different tyres, but I picked 205/55R16, Mainly as I can get Pirelli P7 for $125 (about $50 off store price)
Anyway this will lift the car 3cm and help fill in those massive arches that the thing has.
Note, when I said legal, well I means sorta very close, actually the wheel hight will be 1.25% too big,
so technically illegal, but you would argue that that would be in tolerances.

I also got a freaky euro space saver wheel that I was hopping to use, but my luck is always crap,
it still wont fit under the car in the standard position. I had to modify down there too fit the twin exhaust (So worth it),
Oh well I'll strap it somewhere in the back cabin.

The last and biggest thing that there is to do to get it registered is to do something with the interior,
I plan on trimming and totally rebuilding the interior, you know, with TV's, computers and
those doof doof things, but for now, I'll just put the standard prairie stuff straight back.
The roof lining is the bitch, so when I put the sunroof in, it changed everything,
I got the 2007 camry roof lining (the piece of crap it is, made from foam the disintegrates with a slight touch),
so I fibre glassed the whole thing. I did post pictures of that earlier, So now I have to sand it flat
(big job, it is stiff because the fibreglass but still I worry about it falling apart or braking)
and as it is not long enough I have to build some sort of extension for the back,
then somehow cover it, I'm in 2 minds, quick and easy, which is also costly, take it to a trimmer, or do it myself,
I guess I'll wait to the day to make up my mind. You know, thinking about it,
I don't know if I need to do that for a blue slip, is that something they look at, roof linings????

ALSO, I don't think I posted any photos of the back so here is one, as you can see,
its been parked and is so dirty, Hate the neighbours trees.

Personally I love the look of the exhaust.

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

It does. However, its a shame that the tips and their cutous are at different heights and the bar sits at a slight angle. It screams at me anyway.
Its a cool looking chariot dude.
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Got a picture of the exhaust from underneath the car? The two mufflers look really nice, they fit the jetspeed bumper perfectly. 8)
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Thanks guys,
E your right (as usual), very good eyes you have, but then again I am going to blame the shitty quality of the Jetspeed bumper LOL.
And to tell the truth, the bumper is just sitting on the reo.

For me, I'm not pedantic, I have a 5 meter rule for this project,
If it look good from 5m away, the guy in the car next to me will not know. LOL

For an amateur I think I took on all the more "Radical" mode.
Look what was grafted into the thing,
Obviously a E15T was dropped in, which is a little harder to do than the standard pulsar
job as I had to splice two looms together, very different, I could not just replace the original.
2007 camry power sunroof,
2005 lancer power mirrors,
2007 liberty b spec twin exhaust
and now she is wearing a set of S40 Volvo 16" rims with Pirelli P7
Then making the flairs
cutting and extending the back and front bumpers to fit.

What I am proud of, if I can say that, is that I did all the work basically myself.
and that the whole project has now cost me somewhere around $3000 total.
BTW what you think, can you tell that 10cm was added to the centre.
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

WOW, another frigging long one.

What a crappy week and a bit it has been, My dad was admitted to hospital with a heart problem,
so I spent most of the week going from hospital (dad) and nursing home (mum) I am totaled,
Then when I had a few moments, screw work, which is so behind anyway, I tried to work on the Prairie.

So, you would think, as everyone says that its a bolt off, bolt on job, I would be able to finish it quickly.
Well I did, sure a few hours, lets call it a days job, Screw that, It took me 3 days, yes, 3 days.

As I was told it was cleaned and tested at a turbo place (when a young mate, took it to clean, {that some people ideas of working on cars}
and he broke the circlip trying to open it, so he took it some were to fix, coming back all cleaned up,
he told me the story, and that they checked it and bench tested it)....

Anyway, Removing the T28 was not to much of a hassle, then, putting on the "all so cute little" T25, I noticed that is was smaller.
No, I am not a dope, what I mean is as it is smaller, the bolts did not line up, and in the prairie,
it was not possible to just wiggle them, So, I had to go under to loosen the exhaust.
This done, I go to bolt it up, place the flange on, then... Hold on, 1, 2, 3, bolts, then why wont this tighten, fuck, fuck, fuck.
so again it comes off, had a close look, 2 holes are larger... That cant be right, all the same on the T28.
Hold on, what that, one off the "OK" bolt holes has a helicoil in it, Shit, that explains the other to larger holes,
the helicoils must of come out ??? Strange!!!
OK, no time to do it now

So the next day, I go the the mechanic, hey can you put 2 coils in, you don't have to drill and tap, just put coil in.
Sure... I dont have any.
OK, off to Peters head head, they will have them. OK, can you do this, Yes, can you come back in a few hours.
Sure, I'll go to the nursing home, then pick dad up from hospital, then come back.
On the way back from the hospital, I drop in, in a rush, as dad was in the car.
All done, yes, OK, how much, $50 will do, what, I had $50 in my hand to pay him, and gave it to him and walked out in disgust.
For Placing 2 coils in, $50 bucks.
Now I now I am getting old, because in my youth, I could buy the coils for about $1 each.
So a word of warning, That place... I feel is a RIP OFF, I wont go there again.

So home again, dads home so no stress of worry about him, so nothing should stop me from finishing.
Slap turbo on, bolt on flange, and of fucken cause, when its lined up, one bolt wont go on straight,
the fucken original helicoil, and of cause it's the bottom back one, and its facing in to the dump pipe,
so getting the fucker in was a bloody nightmare.
Can you tell it frustrated me.
Ok that done, Now the intake pipe, before there was a flange on the T28, now none, so add that to the smaller housing,
there is about 15cm difference, OK make a new pipe, but I cant find any the right size,
with what's laying about, no, nothing that the silicon hoses will fit.
OK, leave it to tomorrow, and do something else.
OK, the piping, ok, what looks like an oil return, that's different, but I found a hose and that's done,
Oil line in, little bending and done.
Now the water lines.
OK, banjo nuts, I'll get them off the T28,
Hold on, they are not fitting, What, the housing is much smaller on the T25, so the nuts have to be shorter,
there was one on the T25 before, but the head was wrecked, grabbing that, yep about 6mm shorter.
OK give up, I'll go the next day and get some.

Next day, Go to Charlestone Exhaust, I need about 30cm of 2.25 inch pipe (or whatever it was that fit the turbo).
"OK, What for",
I told them,
"$20 for the pipe or $30 for the pip bent",
OK $30 it is, saves me from wasting hours cutting and welding and it looks better too.
Next to the fitting place down the road.
No sorry, no banjo's, went home called pirtek, yes we have them, go down there, sorry we don't have them,
we could order them for you but it would be probably the same as the ones you have. Go to a bolt place.
So off to a bolt place, no, we don't stock them.
Scratching my head, is there any place local I can get these.
At the bolt place, getting desperate, I ask if they have a nut that fits it.
"YES", a word I like to hear. So $4.50 later I am heading home.
Put the nut on the banjo bolt and cut them down, then as the nut came off it re-treaded it.
Getting cold now and starting to sprinkle, and as the car is in the middle of the grass and no cover I was desperate to finish,
Yes 3:00 finished.

OK, got a new, large 15 plate battery fully charged, wire it up and turn the key,
slowly the motor turns, but no start, then nothing, not power, jump out, look at the terminals, there good.
Then spent 20min looking for a test light. just ended going out and buying one at a local parts supplier.
Race back home. Start stabbing wires to find the fault. Yes done, fusible link loose.
Jump in again and cranked it, again slow turning, try again, and again, get out, little smoke coming from the starter motor.
Shit, will this ever end.
Remove starter, only 2 bolts, and I have a spare, but its getting dark, hard to see.
Put the other starter motor in, but its not fitting, I am sure this is the right one.
OK, give up, another day, if it stops raining, I'll give it a go again.

Today, looking at the starters, it looks like the solenoid is in a different place, but it is labelled N12.
I thought it might of been the prairie one.
I notice that is was hitting a water pipe. So out of desperation, I bent the pipe.
Now it fits,
Bolt it up, jump in, motor spinning much faster, and starts.

Yes

After a minute of revelling in the drivers seat, I jump out, go to the front, but something sounded wrong.
Like, maybe a rubbing or bearing not lubricated, first thing I thought was the turbo is not getting oil,
so I quickly moved it back the 4m meters under cover and stopped it.
Look at that another day.

So I am still after someone to help out, someone that knows these motors.
Anyone Please.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Awwww hawhawhawhaw......... Aint life grand!!~!!!!
welcome to modifying old jap cars m8!!!!
keep going Tony, youll win!

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
samual

Post by samual »

If I was close I would drop in. And give u my 2 cents worth. Sorry bro
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Anyway, so doing a search for white smoke, I can see that it comes up a lot, but it seems that there is no definitive answers.

As I am pretty sure its not the turbo, I turn to looking for something else.
So reading the posts, I got the impression that the problem could be the something to do with pressurising the sump
or the rocker cover breathers, so I had a bit of a look at some photos and some more posts,
and I noticed that my motor breathers seem wrong, So again to the dodgy bastards that sold me the donor,
with the dodgy battery relocation,dodgy AFM relocation (leaving the log uncapped), dodgy wiring and all the rest, lets add another one.

They told me that the turbo was blown and blowing smoke, but as I was going to put the T25 on, I did not care.

And me... A little dodgy, have little experience with these types of motors, had no idea if it is right and just copied how it was before.

Donor motor as I got it The tape over the log ends was me when testing it LOL

And now Still have a bit of wires to clean up, but getting there.

So the breather near the 710 cap is plumbed to the inlet manifold through the PCV Valve, and the other one is a hole vented to atmo.

You can see it better in this pic

Now I don't now if this is causing the white smoke, but I am pretty sure this is wrong.
From reading and pics, it looks like the breather on the dizzy side should go through the PCV to the inlet manifold? (Y/N)
The other ??? I think from reading it goes from breather to between the AFM and turbo? (Y/N)

I was thinking of adding a catch can, but not sure if it is legal to have one, I have read yes and no.
Anyone Know for NSW,
I don't really want to add any mess, I would be interested to know if there is any factory good ones
that I can pick up from wreckers, I like the thought I can hide it low and it looks stock.
thats if its worth having one ??? (Y/N)

Back to my problems

1/ There is no connection for the breather on the dizzy side, any ideas where I can get one,
I am guessing its a bit of pipe that fits in the hole, but I have not seen it so it may be anything.
FYI, the chrome rocker cover I have, has this breather hole filled in, there is a place for it, but no hole.... STRANGE

2/ Let me get this straight,
* One breather goes to in-between AFM and turbo,
* With log removal, you have the mini log you cut down that has a hose that also goes in-between the AFM and turbo,
* and when I put my BOV in (factory Series 4 RX7 Plumbed Back) that also feeds back to in-between the AFM and turbo.
Thats 3 hoses to that pipe.... Has anyone done this?

OK, thanks you guys for reading all my crap.
Any help is most appreciated.