N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Baz's Exa

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

baz wrote:vent to atmo FTW
As I said, FTL with standard ECU.

A BOV's meant to be good for two things, right?

1, saving your turbs from copping nasty pressure waves every time the throttle snaps shut at full boost. Fine, no worries there.

2, it's sposed to help your turbs keep spinning to eliminate a certain amount of lag after gearchanges.
Problem - the boost might be there, but with the standard ECU your mixture goes up the shit every time the BOV opens, so I wouldn't expect nearly as much of an improvement over standard as with a plumb-back BOV, which gets around this problem by retaining the vented air and sticking it back in between the AFM and turbs.
FTW.

BTW, I'm feeling a bit stupid ATM and can't figure out how aftermaket ECUs deal with this. Can someone fill me in?
Do they use a MAP sensor after the throttle, or something?
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

by using MAP sensor not afm, signal is taken from Plenum and is what is really happening not metering air 2 metres before the big bang. Only drawback that i see with map is that vacuum (in the Plenum)can fluctuate too much with very lumpy cammed vehicles and cause problems with stalling this is where a decent afm setup would be a better choice
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Fair comment Panda but pretty much every ECU made in at least the last 10 years will have provisions for running purely on throttle position alone at low RPM to get around that low/fluctuating vacuum drama.

Even old Microtech MT-8's have the capability built in. Its a matter of enabling it.

So its not a drama really. ANY tuner worth half his shit will know this!

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

The Adaptronic has some kind of filter built in that stops cams from being an issue.
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector
baz

Post by baz »

got rid of the old shitty hub caps for some 17" chrome wheels :D
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
baz

Post by baz »

Update, cooler piping on, Flutter :D
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

EA-73-XA

Post by EA-73-XA »

whats the flutter like?

loud VL?
T3T4 hybrid, FMIC and MT8 =

EA-73-XA now known as DR-34-MN
baz

Post by baz »

Bahaha no way dude, far from VL flutter, It's got tiny flutters, But noly when u hit small amounts of boost, Hit higher amount and it makes a psstttt sound, similar to a bov but better, theres no wanky thing about it really!

baz

Re: baz's 1984 exa Tasmania / Hobart, NOW LOOKING SO BETTER

Post by baz »

Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

kimmo: n12s don't have a factory bov
they aren't needed unless u want wanky noises...

bov's saving turbos in low-power, low-boost street applications is a myth made up by bov marketers
same with the making it spool faster, in a street car you can't tell the difference

now if you have a dedicated drag car or similar, that's when you start to need em.
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Android 360 wrote:kimmo: n12s don't have a factory bov
they aren't needed unless u want wanky noises...

bov's saving turbos in low-power, low-boost street applications is a myth made up by bov marketers
same with the making it spool faster, in a street car you can't tell the difference

now if you have a dedicated drag car or similar, that's when you start to need em.
Sorry I have to disagree. BOV's (plumb-backs) are now fitted standard with all turbo cars because they do protect the turbo and increase its life. Reduced shock loads and stalled conditions - even if you can't fell the difference from the drivers seat.

On your second point about can you 'feel' the difference? I think that is very much open for discussion and I don't think there is a clear answer.

C
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

when i took my valve off the et it was crap on gear changes. hard to explain but you have to time the clutch/accelerator differently. its just not smooth like when the valve is on. (map sensor, no afm)

its not the fact that it makes it spool 'faster' its that it doesn't slow the shaft down as much, so you're back on full boost 'earlier' than you would be without one. somewhere in the 0-500rpm range, why its hardly noticeable
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
baz

Post by baz »

** Just had a fresh respray in Custom Lime Green**

Pics Soon :D

baz

Post by baz »

New pics up

leayr

Post by leayr »

nice paint job but jeez u got a cop bait machine now cheers leayr