N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Damo's ET

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

some friends of mine that race a bit, mainly 1300 clubman lately have said they often reduce the radiator intake size to reduce cooling , specially on higher speed tracks. they size 'em for Hot slow speed circuits and baffle them down for faster circuits on colder days.

C
ETONE

Post by ETONE »

Android 360 wrote:how about an n13 exa double core then? fits under the radiator support.......

bigger turbo with smaller radiator is stupid, bigger turbo on your engine means you require more cooling, not less..

i don't get it..
Explain to me why you would need more cooling for a bigger turbo???

Campbell
Remember, nothings ever BOLT ON.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Just a few updates.

Finally put rego back on the ol trooper. In the ACT, you are able to let the rego lapse for just under 12mths before a full inspection is needed to re-register. So rego HAD to go back on.

To fit in with this, I finished off the exy manifold, re-gigged the dump, shifted the way the exhaust hung to raise it slightly, changed around the off turbo i/c plumbing to suit, re-do of O2 sensor, mount wastegate, even fixed that blasted hatch latch! Also had a looky at the dizzy.

For the last 6mths of driving (15mths ago) it was having dramas with hot restarts, and like everyone else I know that Nissan swapped them as faulty years back. I assumed that mine must be doing a similar thing, so I pulled it apart and took the CAS out to have a look. Everything 'looked' ok, but I couldn't tell by eye, so I checked out everything else. The 4 pin harness looked ok, but one of the pins in the dizzy was bent slightly, enough so that it could cause phantom dramas. So I straightened it. Also pulled the female pins from the harness and slightly squashed them to make better contact. To say it was a prick to get them to push with the plug back onto the dizzy would be an understatement!!! Anyway, this done seems to have ceased my hot restart prob for the moment.

I took the car for a tentative drive Good Friday night on minimum boost (which happens to be 10psi, but now this has crept up slightly to 11-12psi). Feels soooooo good to have that boost surge again :D :D Likes to spin up 2nd gear to 6k. :D

I need to do some data logging to show if it is running(as it now should!) a little on the lean side up over 5.5k due to the manifold flowing better than the stocker.

Friday just gone, took Glen (xr6eta) for a bit of a drive, with another friend of mine driving his BF auto XR6T. With the boost wound up a little further to 17-18psi it is turning the passenger wheel quite freely, and pulling away from the Falcodore. We did the obligitory stop to wind up the wick some more, dialed in a little too much for the new plumbing angles and blew them apart!!! grrrr...........
15 min drive back home with a 7:1 1.5ltr engine tuned for boost is annoying! A N/A e15 Pulsar would have chopped me to bits!
Another 15mins at home had the plumbing back on and out for a last hurrah. Adjusted the boost back a little, and ATM spikes to 22-23psi and drops back to 20psi. I'm not fully satisfied with the way it pulls on 20, but it does need a re-tune and boost back up to 25.
Will have to get some vid of the ET v's XRT though, as all the shit on youtube has them smashing everything else, and it just aint so! :D

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Good to hear that you have her back on the street my man ...... keep an eye out for a good shel for me will ya.

Laters.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

The Renegade wrote:Good to hear that you have her back on the street my man ...... keep an eye out for a good shel for me will ya.

Laters.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Pulsar-ET ... 35a869ffc8
Damo

Post by Damo »

Had the manifold off on the weekend to change a leaky gasket and exhaust manifold stud.
a couple of pics of the go fast bits.

Damo

ET87

Post by ET87 »

look on youtube, there is a guy on their with an et with this exact exhaust manifold and skyline turbo.. u will destroy v8's with that.
Timmzy

RE: turbo

Post by Timmzy »

Damo,

I was looking at those pics and thought is that a T3 flange on the manifold! ? Nice work! I went back to the start and looked at the "specs" on page 1 and yes RB25 turbo. Are you using the ceramic exhaust wheel turbo? I am.

Mine is set to 15PSI all the time. And its almost fucked from years of circuit racing and a very restrictive filter that's worn out the thrust bearings. I am looking for other alternatives, as soon I probably won't have a choice.

What do you think is a decent alternative turbo? Same again?
Are you heading back to the dyno after everything is re-installed?

Darren.
Race it.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

What a pile of rubbish.............................................. Damos rubbish that is!
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Darren
I thought Damo was using an old T3 thing off a VG30det??? T3 arse end with a T28 front end hybrid thingy.....

I dont think you can go too far wrong with what ur using M8 as far as value for money.
There is a BB version of those Ceramic wheeled things which you can pick up of SAU cheap as chips.
The Skyline boys routinely take them off and flog them for peanuts.
Cant rebuild them but they are cheap enough to have a couple on hand.

Otherwise youd be hard pressed to beat a Disco if you want something serious and are prepared to pay.

L8r
E
Damo

Post by Damo »

ET87 wrote:look on youtube, there is a guy on their with an et with this exact exhaust manifold and skyline turbo.. u will destroy v8's with that.
You mean this one:

He's a bit of a cockhead if you ask me! :D :D :D

Have a looky at the tiles on the floor, and compare them to the pic of mine. Stole that idea too I bet. :P

Damo

Damo

Re: RE: turbo

Post by Damo »

Timmzy wrote:Damo,

I was looking at those pics and thought is that a T3 flange on the manifold! ? Nice work! I went back to the start and looked at the "specs" on page 1 and yes RB25 turbo. Are you using the ceramic exhaust wheel turbo? I am.

Mine is set to 15PSI all the time. And its almost fucked from years of circuit racing and a very restrictive filter that's worn out the thrust bearings. I am looking for other alternatives, as soon I probably won't have a choice.

What do you think is a decent alternative turbo? Same again?
Are you heading back to the dyno after everything is re-installed?

Darren.
That one on the floor is a 'RB25 upgrade' turbo. It uses RB25 CHRA and exhaust housing, the VG30 comp wheel with the stock RB25 comp cover machined to suit + surge groove. (Actually, I think the RB boys want the VG exy housing.)
Yep, still runs the ceramic exy wheel on 25psi.

For the price, you can't really beat them. $200 is pretty good value for turbo which has taken what I have dished out on it. + I have the spare VG30 sitting here for when it lets go.
It is though, far from optimal. It's boost island wouldn't got past 16psi let alone mid/high 20's. If you stay running 15psi, no probs, but if you plan on running more, it would be better to step back to the T2 exhaust frame and get a GTiR T28, or spend some coin an go the disco potato. Loves the boost!!!! There is no need to go T3 frame for the power.

Damo

BADET-4

Post by BADET-4 »

ok i have to ask........... What is a disco potato??????? :?

Passhole (păs'hōl') The person who has been driving slowly for ages but speeds up the moment one tries to get ahead of him.
Sarchasm (sär'kăz'əm) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Ignoranus (ĭg'nə-rā'nəs) A person who is both stupid and an arsehole.
Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

A turbo from the t28 family with the compressor inlet and outlet flanges to suit silicon joiners.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... 9548_1.htm

Lovin your work to damo. Inspirational really. :D
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

The turbo inherited the name DP after the Nissan project car, an SR20det powered B15 Sentra in the US it was originally fitted to.

DP's are legendary in the 2 litre world for low down and lightening fast spooling along with broad and useable power delivery.

300Hp ATW at most.

E