N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Damo's ET

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Damo

Damo's ET

Post by Damo »

Name: Damien D

Year/Model: 84 ET Pulsar

Colour: Mitsubishi Fuji Blue (factory morone/gold)

Ownership: Since Jan/Feb 1997

Exterior mods: De-badge, remove rear spoiler + side bumper
stripes, N/A nil wiper hatch.

Interior mods:
Re-trim door skins blue velour, roof lining black, painted handles/arm rests, window winders, map pockets ect ect all black. 25psi boost guage, oil pressure guage, tacho (stock no go), blue high intensity LED shift light, mixture meter, air temp readout, Auto technica twirler, DIY window tint.

Wheels: CSA 16x6.5 5 spoke jobs off Capri clubsport,
205/45/16s or 185/60/14s semi track.

Engine mods:
(Deep breath) Current as of 20/01/08:

Relocated pod behind LHS headlight yet to have cold air feed $25 (me)

Bastardized RB25/VG30DET turbo, anti surge groove machined into comp housing $200.

2.5 inch mild steel I/C plumbing. (me)

810mm x 310mm x 55mm core only! FMC $500. Install, me.

RB20 T/B $0.

Folded alloy plenum welded onto curved section of lower portion of cut stock manifold, which was then bolted to lower half of manifold on the car $0 (favor).

Head has been P+P'd $0 (me).

Stock valve sizes

Cam has been reground as far as the stock lobes would allow,(probably stage 2/3) $150 (me)

Holden 186 Yella Terra valve springs $0! (me)

Slightly matchported exhaust manifold (me)(center divider melted away long ago).

Exhaust manifold has 'T3' adaptor flange welded to it $0.
3inch dump pipe with 3inch truck flex $300. EA Falcon O2 sensor $50, into complete 3inch exhaust.

Jap brand stainless Fujitsubo muffler (which I cut the 5inch wank factor tip off) $100. 3inch resonator $100.

Management/fueling:
Autronic SMC $2000 (me)
Excell twin post coils $0
stock dizzy with chopper wheel made from 5 1/4 inch floppy cover to replace stocko 360slot item $0 (me)
bosch 024's (520cc with 50psi base pressure) from Volvo 144 $17 each adjustable reg for base pressure $120
VLT replacement pump inline with stocker in tank $130
Irridium plugs gapped to 1mm, $16 each.
Bastardized stock cam sproket to allow 6deg timing changes. (me)

Balanced crank/flywheel. $120

Standard replacement + 20thou cast pistons <$200 set.

Two H/G's to cure valve to piston contact. (me)

Ball valve boost controller, $20. (me)

4 puck brass button clutch with H/D pressure plate $300. (me)

N12 box with N13 bits <$50 (me)

Engine rebuilds $0 (me)

Suspension: King springs front, cut stock rear springs with rubber spacers for stiffer coils, 2 stock rear ET swaybars, stock N/A Pulsar front swaybar. 30mm longer rear studs, 6mm spacer on rear.

Performance: This is going to be very dependant on a what stage mods were at, using my G-tech (around 3thenths and 6% optimistic on speed) on the same stretch of road.
'Bought the car dead stock bar a 2.5inch exhaust. Soon blew my first head gasket as the waste gate actuator was getting stuck closed resulting in too much boost. Bought a G-tech not long into the ownership of the car. Ran 0-100’s in flat 9’s ¼’s in high 15’s. Upped boost to 12-14psi, dropped 1sec off the 0-100 and ½.sec of the ¼ mile. Hole sawed the standard T/B to take a hand fabricated 53mm butterfly + relocated AFM at the same time. This netted in a big increase in throttle response. Installed 4 puck Brass button clutch. 0-100 in 7’s high 14 ¼.mile Burnt an exhaust valve/blew head gasket, swapped heads with a spare I had out of a burnt wreck, slightly ported the head. Big mistake using burnt head!! Bent three exhaust valve due to valve bounce of the softened valve springs due to the car being burnt and creating massive heat in the engine bay. Swapped exhaust valves. Installed small I/C, more boost 15-18psi. Car running high 6’s 0-100 and mid 14’s ¼.mile. Removed all unnecessary weight. Best of low 6 0-100 and 14.26 ¼.mile. Swapped to L20 T3 (wasn't actualy a L20 turbo), and Supra I/C and 3inch dump, traction posing a huge prob, easy low 6’s and 14’s. Went to Eastern Creek with some slicks, engine running bad ran 14.559 @ 154kmh, massive lean outs due to stuffed FPR. Found problem, upped pressure, ran 13.73 on the street with slicks. Engine died due to lean mixtures at the track, busted piston rings. Re-build, did more porting, more boost 18-20psi, run high 5’s and high 13’s on street tyres. Broke ring-lands off a piston due to lean-out detonation. New pistons AGAIN. Installed O2 sensor + metre, installed VL helper pump, installed malpassi RR FPR, installed big I/C and full 3inch system. Wound up fuel pressure, mixtures o.k. Ran 13.71 @ 161kmh at the Creek. G-tech shows 0-100 in 5.31sec 13.31@173kmh. Achieved goal of running sub 14sec ¼. @ 100mph+ with standard ECU + injectors + AFM.'
(Lifted straight from N12 Editors cars)
Since then (2001), installed Autronic, broke the turbo when part of a bolt smashed exhaust wheel, swapped to VG30DET T3, dramas with boost surge (too much boost, not enough flow), boost upped to around 23psi. Still high 5's/high 13's but speed increase to high 170's. More tinkering.
At this stage in 2005 I finaly got it on the dyno for the first time at a dyno day. Spat out 155kw on 20-22psi.
Around now I took it to the Creek, and due to stuffing around with things the night before, I couldn't get more than 12-13psi out of it on the evening, it ran something like a 14.1 @ 97mph, I had left one of the hose clamps loose on the I/C plumbing!!!
January 07, made 3mm phenolic inlet manifold spacer, made 3 step adjustable cam sproket, installed reground cam, swapped over to RB25/VG30 turbo, a little more boost. G-tech low/mid 13's on track tyres at low 180's terminal speed. Dyno tune on mates dyno, 175kw 24psi (100 octane Vpower July) 450cc injectors 90% duty cycle!
Increase base pressure to 50psi, theoreticly flow increased to 520cc, retune 179kw 24psi (98 octane Vortex) and 191kw 29-30psi (Vortex with 15% toluene). Max power made before 6000rpm and falling quite quickly. October.
Intended to go to the track, but the meet was cancelled due to wind!
I need to get some G-tech results with the latest config which hasn't changed much since then.

As of 16/07/08 13.1 @ 109.75mph (12.96 @ 185kmh G-tech)

[/b]Future mods:
Fabricated manifolds and a turbo designed to run 30psi. Run a flat 12 and crack the biggest chubbi known to man!

Breakages:
At least 8 blown head gaskets, 2 sets of bent exhaust valves (from missing gear changes and popping out of 5th under load), 3 3rd gear synchro hubs, broken ringlands off at least 8 pistons (most due to detonation, a couple from piston/valve episodes), burnt out fuel pump from running out of fuel and driving the car on the starter :oops: ,stuffed fuel pressure reg, busted turbo from shrapnel going through it, around 6 standard spark plugs all from cylinder #4 until installed NGK Iridium's, gone through 2 crank sprokets due to harmonic balancer coming loose.
Oh yeah, and 2 cracked blocks.

There is more, but I can't quite place individual events.

VIDS:

PICS:

Any requests? I have a shit load of pics.
Last edited by Damo on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
nz_n12turbo

Post by nz_n12turbo »

more more :D im keen to see sum pics to
{TUBZ}

Post by {TUBZ} »

i wanna see pics man...
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Damo - ya forgot to add one thing:
shit proof passenger seat for when I'm in the car!
Next time I'm down we should go to the lake and do some photos for here!
Should be sometime soon. And I owe you beers.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Damo

Post by Damo »

The Renegade wrote:Damo - ya forgot to add one thing:
Any ideas when Glenn?

Damo

Kimmo

Re: Damo's ET(pics added)

Post by Kimmo »

Awesome ride, man...

Great work; love this bit:
Damo wrote:stock dizzy with chopper wheel made from 5 1/4 inch floppy cover to replace stocko 360slot item $0 (me)
:D
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

nice work dude. can you lend me your plenum? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damo

Post by Damo »

Thanks Kimmo, took a bit of stuffing around to get the right material. Stainless was too hard to cut, aluminium too thick or too thinn, then I figured on some sort of plastic, and the cover turned out to be ideal. The one in the car now was my fourth attempt, just drew it up on 'paint', printed it to the right size and cut it with a stanly.

Ash, after feeling the results, the thing is for show rather than go! Probably if you are after a stocko sort of low reving engine, it would probably be a benifit, but practically, the runners are waaayyyy too long, around 40-45cm for the runners only. I would dare say it would make little if any power over the stocko manifold up top, with possibly a small increase down low. So, short answer is you can probably have it(if you remind me) if the next one works better. :)

Damo

Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

Damo wrote: Ash, after feeling the results, the thing is for show rather than go! Probably if you are after a stocko sort of low reving engine, it would probably be a benifit, but practically, the runners are waaayyyy too long, around 40-45cm for the runners only. I would dare say it would make little if any power over the stocko manifold up top, with possibly a small increase down low. So, short answer is you can probably have it(if you remind me) if the next one works better. :)

Damo
really. well there you go. i thought it would of made more of a difference up top. the inlet runners do make a big difference to where and how an engine makes it's power. the standard setup is pretty lengthy. i think your plenum with custom made shorter inlet runners would make for more ooomph in the top end but little torque down low! more of a drag setup really. eh...
Damo

Post by Damo »

Ash wrote:
Damo wrote: Ash, after feeling the results, the thing is for show rather than go! Probably if you are after a stocko sort of low reving engine, it would probably be a benifit, but practically, the runners are waaayyyy too long, around 40-45cm for the runners only. I would dare say it would make little if any power over the stocko manifold up top, with possibly a small increase down low. So, short answer is you can probably have it(if you remind me) if the next one works better. :)

Damo
really. well there you go. i thought it would of made more of a difference up top. the inlet runners do make a big difference to where and how an engine makes it's power. the standard setup is pretty lengthy. i think your plenum with custom made shorter inlet runners would make for more ooomph in the top end but little torque down low! more of a drag setup really. eh...
The thing to keep in mind is that the lower half of the original runners remain, and then another half of the runners added again with the plenum welded to that. Looks cool, doesn't do squat for performance! Bit like a BOV. :D

Side note: looking at the dyno sheet, no wonder there is wheel spin, 60kw to 180kw in the space of 30kmh. :lol:

Damo

{TUBZ}

Post by {TUBZ} »

very nice man...more pics.....on the dyno sheet is says "DATSUN ET" wtf??
Damo

Post by Damo »

{TUBZ} wrote:very nice man...more pics.....on the dyno sheet is says "DATSUN ET" wtf??
Thanks TUBZ, well picked up. That was my mate Ed being a funny Asian BUGGER! :D I had forgotten till you mentioned that. He was punching the details into the dynamics PC and having a little giggle to himself, so I had a look at what he had done, and he said sarcasticly "Datsun ET, hehehehhahahahahhaaaa!". The prick even spelt my name wrong on purpose. That O.k. I give him heaps because he owns (hasn't run for years though!) pushrod dinosaur XD, painted the obligitory fridge white. Back in the day when he didn't know ANYTHING modern, he wanted to put a massive intercooler on it!!!!!!!!!! "The thing is N/A Ed?", "yeah, yeah, so what?" he would say. So I had to try and educate him. :roll:

Anyway, what pics do you want to see?

Damo

Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Damo wrote: Anyway, what pics do you want to see?
Damo
ALL of them ! :D

Ohh and a lot of Exa are Datsuns!, Both, mine is and my dads was. They carried both Nissan and Datsun badges!

C
TURB15

Post by TURB15 »

nice 8) why didn't ya paint the engine bay? :?
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Damo wrote:
The Renegade wrote:Damo - ya forgot to add one thing:
Any ideas when Glenn?

Damo
Yup, prolly the week after next. Will be a hard and fast trip though, but should still have time for some beverages. Will have the trainee with me, you'll have to take her for a spin and make her poo a besa block. (She needs re-educating -- still thinks V8's are choice :? )

Do you have any pix of the 2 boost guages in action showing the difference between boost at the turbo and boost at the throttle body?
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================