N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Callumgw - 84 EXA

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

very nice parts there that thing would be a beast for motorkhana
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Thought it might be tiime for an update. NOW got the engine back in, all the intercooler pipe work sorted, the Aluminium radiator in, the large AFM (just need to tune it), VL throttle body, VL Cold idle, LSD, adjustable cam pulley, rear Koni's front and rear strut braces, Boost gauge, reco drive shafts, new ball joint, tie rods and rack, added some "bling" to back (Jo0f calls it Boeing, not Bling :lol: ) 3 inch exhaust and dump pipe with straight through (no resonator). 300ZXtt T25 hybrid. Plumbed back Blitz blow off valve. Adjustable 1:1 FPR

Now need Sparco Seats, Front Koni's, Steering wheel, foot rest, no carpet, tune. Then on to the wish list, wide band 02, Haltech, coil over.....front dam, rear diffuser, . . ..

C
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

hey wats the go with the lsd is it a off the self item? would be very intersested if you can buy them
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

It's not true LSD it's one of the phantom grip like ones by Bits of Italy or APEP, see my earlier page for a picture of it in the dif. Your next two question are likely to be: is it any good? Well its the best LSD for an ET/Exa under $3000. And How much does it cost? LAst time I gat a price it was approaching $450. But when I got it made a few years ago it was only $250.

C
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

O_o

Serious amount of wing there...

...BTW, is that Datto badge original?
txateu

Post by txateu »

more importantly... how does the phantom grip perform? does it lock when cornering hard? is there much metal shavings in your gearbox oil?

I love to wing so much its beautiful
cheers Michael,
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Kimmo wrote:O_o
...BTW, is that Datto badge original?
Yep, My Dads had one the day he collected it from the Factory. These were released in the transition from Datsun to Nissan and carried the double badging for at least the 1983 early 1984's.
txateu wrote:more importantly... how does the phantom grip perform? does it lock when cornering hard? is there much metal shavings in your gearbox oil?
As to the LSD, it really does make a difference in cornering. Not been in long enough to see to amount of metal in the box. Shane has been running his a lot longer he might be able to offer an insight.

The strut brace has made a noticable difference now that its been stiffened.

Still trying to get this thing running right, the damn thing played up again last night during a street tuning session. Bloody injector wires from the ECU. So the Haltech E6k is on it's way.

C
boost_truck_racer

Post by boost_truck_racer »

callum love the exa, track/ sprints is way more interesting than straight lining it

do you want a cage?

brendan
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Do you make cages Brendan?
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
boost_truck_racer

yeah im getting all setup

can do mig/tig

mild or moly

tube bend will arrive next week

brendan

also callum i dont under stand the wing though wouldnt you want down force on the front ???
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Yes Brendan, Definately going to be looking for a cage. Not sure if getting one down from Brisbane would be economical though..... Want to get the seats in first.

and yes definately need front down force. The rear wing was a cheap opportunity buy - just $50.... Rear downforce is easy, front is much harder and much more important a FWD

I got a splitter design ticking over i my head. An improvement over one I did for a Starion many years back:

C
boost_truck_racer

Thats a nice starion

my cousin has 2 of them 1 rally preped

and the is stroke to 2.4 and make around 240hp and 13 psi
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Did he stroke the 4g63 or the 4G54?

c
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

so would it be this one? as i think this would be for n13 acording to the year but its the only lsd listed

http://www.phantomgrip.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=139

oh and where did you get yours from? did you have to ship it over from the usa?

thanks luke
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

oohh time for the LSD story again. Once upon a time there was this little boy racer who couldn't et decent traction out of a corner. He grew evermore tired os spinning the inside wheel as other car drove past him. He decided to find an LSD for budget silver bullet.

He started researching the legends of N12 LSDs in Jap spec engines but found no evidence of there existance. Next he spoke with a man who had modified a box an put in a Toyota LSD. But the man said to work was very expensive and never worked very well. And the gearbox always leeked! He then searched for navarna in the lands of Kaaz and Quaife but found nothing but sorrow and expense. Eventually he forund PPG, a small Adelaide wizard who could supply an LSD for 4 time the value of the car.....heart broken at the price the boy racer nearly gave up when he found Phantom Grip. But they we in a far away land and to get one made would take lots of shipping and costs, so the first would be worth nearly as much as the PPG.

The boy thought, these devices are so simple!, just two plates and four springs. So he set about specíng one to have built locally. He found out what spring rates PhantomGrip used and went looking for a man to build one. He spoke with an old grey wizard of manufacturing car parts -"Ferral" Errol - to seek his advice. Errol told him of a man called Bill that, legend has it, was the creator of this diff and had been building them for 30 years!

The little boy racer sought out Bill Freame of Australia Precision Engine Parts (APEP). Bill was tricky to find and talk with. Bill told of building these with his friends from Bits of Italy (BOI), of legendary perfromances and of send ing one to the US in the late '80s that may have evolved into the Phantom-Grip. A diff exchange was soon organised at a retro tavern in Doncaster during a meeting of the Fiat Car Club. Two weeks later the boy racer had his LSD.

He told of this story to ye-olde-Yahoo-N12turbo-mailgroup but many were skeptical. But after a while, in ones and two, members started getting them built and all were happy. The story of the boy racer and his quest has spread arround the forum and the world, with N12 LSDs being built by BOI and sent far afield to distance countries like Greece.

:)

C