N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Callumgw - 84 EXA

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

The seat rails came with the seats, just need to tweak the back angles and re-inforce one underfloor mount point. then it should just be a brake bleed and nice to have stuff....
let me check the 18th..

C
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

UPDATE:
Made up a steering wheel spacer, started wiring the Datalogger, still need to put the flex link in the exhaust.....ohh and my twin spot Mitsub calipers arrived yesterday :twisted:
That should sort out the front brake overheating problems.

C
txateu

Post by txateu »

so u reduced bump steer by adding camber kits? is it possible the reduce bump steer by moving the steering rack forwards?
cheers Michael,
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

txateu wrote:so u reduced bump steer by adding camber kits? is it possible the reduce bump steer by moving the steering rack forwards?
I don't hink the camber kit will have any effect on bump steer. The point I was making was that the camber change was very little when we added the weight of one person. But the toe changed a lot with the weight of just one person. This suggests that a lowered car DEFINATELY needs a wheel alignment before first use.

Bump steer is mostly caused by the the misalignment of the pivots of the steering system and the suspension. So it might not be a case of "moving the rack forward" but changing the length between pivot points to match the lower control arm.

I haven't looked at the EXA in detail to see where the likely mis-alignment is.

C
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

I first read about the aussie 'phantom grip' lsd in your thread and the real PG site now lists the E15 part as new for July.
It's $300.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=229
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Good spot Dillon!

I reckon a bright young member should look to lead a group buy while the Aussie dollar is so favourable, cause these are now cheaper than the BOI versions........

C
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

I might grab one then if thats cheap.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Yeah, last time I checked the Aussie ones they were about $400, so a group buy at $300 US, + upgrade springs $30 +postage $25 would be $355 or AUD$374 and thats without any discount. So you should be able to reduce poastage and negatiate a better price.

The other difference is that the US one is self installed, but following the instructtions isn't hard. Whereas, the Aussie one they install and your hit or postage of the dif both ways....

C
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

Why go for the upgraded springs straight away ? How do you know what theirs is like ?
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Their upgraded springs are the "performance" option. More locking...Since you'd end up with both sets of springs, i'd get the upgrade option in the same delivery and then you can choose. Otherwise it'll be more time waiting for delivery and more postage $$ later if you decide to upgrade.

You could always get some made locally, but I bet that be so close to USD$30 that you would save anything.

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Hey Dillon
The very fact that they offer an upgraded spring should be enough!!!!! LOL
Thing is, heavier springs = heavier steering and tyre wear.

Id be interested in the grip percentage of the two options.

Most of these type of friction centers are usually less than 50%
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

from memory they talk about a 30% spring increase, but that isn't likely to change the diff split by a full 30%. My thoughts anyway

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Id say ur right M8

As an aside (whoring), I was looking at a very cool little one-off mechanical LSD that was designed and hand made by a machinist apprentice the other day.

Its a full 2 way center that was designed to fit into an Esky diff.

Damn it was a nice bit of design and fabrication by a very young bloke who could not afford a genuine LSD center which are hideously expensive for thos small Ford banjo diffs..... Impressive.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

Cool, I will do some more reading on their site, see what the blurb is ...
Maybe Tas has lost his patience after dealing with the youngsters on here ... :P or was it from tuning 2-stroke motors ?
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

An experienced builder/racer mate said :
The spung plates work aginst the gears splined onto the axle which is a very small surface area, would lucky to be 5% of the area in a cluch type diff.
with no ramp type contol I would think that this would equate to a 2 way diff which is not a good idea in a fwd (read plenty of understeer, ok for drags).
what say you guys ? 'limited-lock-diff' ?