N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

WHTBIX...Updated **56K Warning**

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

hey dude. just a quick question, where did you get the forged pistons.? thats really my last 'real' hurdle to getting my 1688 together.

Cheers.
Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Hey Kris,

Hope the exams went OK.

I bought the 1688 'kit' through Dillion at D-tuned, all those years ago. I think Geordo bought the same kit. Anyway when I got it, turned out the shortened skirt pistons were Arias items from down here in Melbourne? So the person who bored my engine out said anyway. So Ben, try them and see if they have what you want. Mine are 80thou (2mm) oversize from standard, as are Kris's I believe.

Darren.
dan_sr20

Post by dan_sr20 »

This car looks like its coming a long way, will be a true weapon when its done by the sounds of it. Good Luck mate.

Just be carefull with those wheels, I got this emailed to me the other day, check out the poor R32. It read:

This is a 3 page discussion worth a brief look at.

This is why it's important to have high quality "FORGED ALLOY" wheels.

buyer of cheaper wheels beware.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums ... 41481&st=0

Just be carefull, woudlnt want to see this happen to an n12. One less skyline isnt a worry but ET's are much more prescious.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

You would have to keep in mind on that skyline, that they over-torqued those wheels with the rattle gun, and that's common at tyre and brake joints.

I would have at a guess, that over tightening of those wheels probably contributed to the problem. The wheel on the other side of the car also had stress cracks in it. Very dangerous. Overtightening can be just as bad as not doing them up. That is why there is a spec.

When racing ALL wheels should be torqued to required levels and checked between heats. There was a few basic things that skyline boy didn't do.

Also, I would only run on OEM wheels like standard ET wheels or TRX wheels. You know they have done durability cycles from the manufacture. The only downside of course is that they are old.

Food for thought.

darren.
dan_sr20

Post by dan_sr20 »

Yeh id agree with that, especially when racing and the wheels are under that much stress. But still a good forged rim for racing is a must, especially with well set up cars that can steer.
wombat

Post by wombat »

hey i remember those old e17 stroker kits from ages ago - what ever happened to those anyway?
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

i was about to ask the same question. i remember the link and remember the price tag, at the of the day you still had to prepare the crank.. lol.. so i went about making one for myself. just ran outta time..

you running the 1688 off the stock computer.?

anyway keep us posted on the progress.

HewiB
Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

Ben,

Im running a microtech MT8, and darren is running a wolf,

Cheers

Kris
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

Well ive welded the aluminium reducers on and due to 'fit issues' i have to rotate the snail, so hopefully tomorrow i will have that back onto the car. The great news of all of this is that there was a blow exhaust manifold gasket, and also the turbo was held on by ONE NUT, instead of the four. So power here we come......hopefully!!!

so not much more than this at the moment although i have concerns with the turbo sideways movement. Anyhow, much to do and not much time to do it in.

Cheers

Kris
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

So her are the latest photos. The welding is ok i guess, as i am new tto welding aluminium.....it will do!! i think it looks pretty tough anyways 8)

I had to make a 90 degree bend so i had ago at making one out of straight tubing. I should have it finished by early next week

WXTBIX

Cooler piping update

Post by WXTBIX »

Well the cooler pipe is at the polishers, geting the mirror finish job, so that should look good, the turbos back together and bolted up with stainless bolts and lock nuts.

To those wondering, the exhaust manifold gasket you want is off the NA e15 (for those with no log).

So hopefully it should be about three to four weeks more and it will be done.

I still have one question, I believe that the fuel pump in the car at the moment is standard, with the mods i have will i be able to obtain 180-200kw atw with a bosch 910 pump or larger? Will i need a fpr (rising rate), dont really know much about them. Evan your comments would be appreciated.

Cheers guys, and gals

Kris
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

go the japanese sectioned piping :P
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

what kind of welder are you using with the aluminium?
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

Raddavey,

You use a tig welder for aluminium. Your general engineering shop will have one.

Cheers,

Kris

P.S. Still after advice on the fuel pump and fuel pressure reg guys.....
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

Well after debating about the fuel pump for a while, i picked up a bosch 910 for $200, genuine with waranty. Also got the cooler piping back from the polishers, and f*ck me its shinnnny. Ill post some pics soon, been a bit busy, about 1million thing on the go :D

Cheers

Kris