Worldwide N12 Owners Register & Map

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
User avatar
Kimmo
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Footscray

Post by Kimmo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Android 360 wrote:u guys should get your actual coordinates.
centre the map on your house and then click 'get directions from here"
up the top it automatically brings up your coordinates.
But then anyone can find out where to steal the car from!

If you consider the point of this map, you prolly just want to know who's where by postcode; if you want to know exactly where someone is, you can just PM em.

User avatar
BennyET
Posts: 1372
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gold Coast, Qld

Post by BennyET » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 pm

Kimmo wrote:
Android 360 wrote:u guys should get your actual coordinates.
centre the map on your house and then click 'get directions from here"
up the top it automatically brings up your coordinates.
But then anyone can find out where to steal the car from!

If you consider the point of this map, you prolly just want to know who's where by postcode; if you want to know exactly where someone is, you can just PM em.
yeah, i was pm'd a full address from another member. i just don't think its smart to post info like that on the net.

when we get more people on it, it will be a great reference for seeing who's close by to help out, cruise etc etc
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.

Android 360
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: trying to avoid pulsar owners
Contact:

Post by Android 360 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:31 pm

pfft it costs $5 to get someones address from their number plate.
its more likely someone will get your address that way.

get a decent alarm and insurance ffs
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."

User avatar
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Telegraph Point - N.S.W. Mid North Coast

Post by The Renegade » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 pm

So how's the map coming along?

C'mon guys, post up your details and put yerself on the map!
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================

User avatar
Kimmo
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Footscray

Post by Kimmo » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:24 am

Can't you send an email to everyone and link em up?

A lot of folks might not look in here very often...

I would have expected more of a response given the usual traffic in this section, though

User avatar
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Post by shanec86 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:55 am

as if i'd want random people on the net to know where my cars are
lol

User avatar
SashET
Posts: 1047
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Post by SashET » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:13 pm

BennyET wrote:
Kimmo wrote:
Android 360 wrote:u guys should get your actual coordinates.
centre the map on your house and then click 'get directions from here"
up the top it automatically brings up your coordinates.
But then anyone can find out where to steal the car from!

If you consider the point of this map, you prolly just want to know who's where by postcode; if you want to know exactly where someone is, you can just PM em.
yeah, i was pm'd a full address from another member. i just don't think its smart to post info like that on the net.

when we get more people on it, it will be a great reference for seeing who's close by to help out, cruise etc etc
Ops....that was me......thanks for fudging the location a little BennyET.....lol.

Still gives the overall location of my car but not the actual address.......

Cheers
Sash

User avatar
Kimmo
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Footscray

Post by Kimmo » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:29 pm

I don't think anyone's gonna bother stalking your suburb to find out where your car lives, but it might be another story if some arsehole is presented with your actual address, and it's not real far...
shanec86 wrote:as if i'd want random people on the net to know where my cars are
I don't think you need to worry if it's only accurate to the postcode, man

User avatar
Ash
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3246
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:17 am
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia

Post by Ash » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:16 pm

shanec86 wrote:as if i'd want random people on the net to know where my cars are
lol
whats the difference, random people where you live would know :)

User avatar
Ash
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3246
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:17 am
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia

Post by Ash » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:09 pm


User avatar
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Telegraph Point - N.S.W. Mid North Coast

Post by The Renegade » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:43 pm

shanec86 wrote:as if i'd want random people on the net to know where my cars are
lol
I see your point Shane, you have a lot more auto hardware at your place than most. But if you just link to Melbourne - well it's a big place.

Me - well I reckon if someone drives to my two horse town, gets thru the home security system, gets past the rather large black dog, and then pushes a pink car away then they deserve to have it based on effort and persistence! :P
I'll still track them down and fuck them over though! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================

User avatar
Kimmo
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Footscray

Post by Kimmo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:13 pm

On the subject of anti-theft... GPS is pretty cheap these days...

I wonder how possible it would be to stealth a GPS unit install?
Not for navigation at all, just simply to recover the vehicle in the event of theft...

Maybe you could put a connector for a touchscreen in the glovebox or something to access the nav action, perhaps

User avatar
Callumgw
Posts: 2354
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Callumgw » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm

GPS tracking systems exist, they use the GPS to recieve the signal and send back via mobile phone systems. They cost a bit and I reckon it'd be a waste to spend $1000 plus to keep a $2000 car......

C

User avatar
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Telegraph Point - N.S.W. Mid North Coast

Post by The Renegade » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 pm

We use a GPS board that fits into our 2-way radios for all our work vehices. I think it's less than $200. They're used in case someone goes missing they can locate the car. (or if you're paranoid, your boss always knows where you are)
There's a bunch of different generic GPS engines that you can buy that are pretty cheap, but you gotta build your own interface for PC, 2-way radio or whatever.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================

User avatar
Callumgw
Posts: 2354
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Callumgw » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:08 am

The Renegade wrote:but you gotta build your own interface for PC, 2-way radio or whatever.
=

$$$

unless your a electronics engineer type...

C

actually In think i saw something that might help in a Silicon chip a year or so back.... again through GSM modem

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests