N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Sohcturbs ET E15et Build

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Sohcturbs

Post by Sohcturbs »

Water to air intercooler parts all arrived. Radiator has to go back a bit to accomodate the heat exchanger in front of it. A couple of mods to the parts, other than that looks pretty good.

Exhaust has been done awhile ago. WB O2 needs to be moved but other than that happy with it.
Last edited by Sohcturbs on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAC_ET

Post by PAC_ET »

mate that water to air system is sweet :D im thinking about doing the same nice work, and that exhaust system looks the goods
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Youll be happy with that watercooler.

I use a very similar one on my VG30det here:

IAT's are rock steady, barely a few degrees above ambient.

have fun
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
RIP EAZY E

yeah

Post by RIP EAZY E »

How do they compare to front mounts?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, depends on how you approach the whole thing.

A2A coolers are cheap and relatively easy to install and work just fine but their are not as temp stable as a w 2 a. The water coolers are able to absorb large surges in air temps that will leave the air cooler sweating and wiping its brow.
A2A'a are also much larger for the same heat sinking effect.
The water cores you see here are good for 600Hp and will easily perform as well as a big 600x300 +

However, w2a are complicated and expensive to fit up initially and plumb with water lines, a water pump and a radiator to consider BUT the position of the core is irrelevent and the relative size of the core compared to an air core makes things very easy in many cases.

There is a whole world of argument for and against both systems and the net id full of arguments.
I just happen to like the watercoolers and i dont mind the fabrication and fitup.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Dan mate, that looks wicked! When ya got it all going i'll have to come for a ride! Been a while since ive seen an N12T on the road... i need the motivation.
Sohcturbs

Post by Sohcturbs »

I think for the average N12 punter A2A is the way to go. It just so happens that I'm having some issues getting it all in there due to some decisions I made a long time ago. It all still takes up a lot of room, but theres a lot more flexibility with where it can all be placed.

If I was doing it again I'd definitely have made my life a bit easier.
The original outset for the W2A is significantly more I'd say roughly 3x the price. However, the big advantage of this is with an ice bucket packed at the drags you can get lower than ambient temperatures which is impossible with a A2A. A bit of stuffing around mind you..

Cheers Mike, still a bit to go till I get to turn the key I've got to bracket up quite a few bits and get a couple of things moded. It all depends now if once I get it going I head straight into panel (which is likely) or leave it for awhile. With winter fast approaching it's probably as good a time as any to get into the panel..
PAC_ET

Post by PAC_ET »

just a thought, any point in using the ac system to turn the ice box for the w2a intercooler into a chill tower?? to always keep the water cold....
Sohcturbs

Post by Sohcturbs »

Bracketed up the cooler and made a new false floor for the boot.
Moved the battery up behind the seat and over the rear wheels, up from the rear of the boot. Lined this up nicely with the ice bucket which Ive decided to mount in the boot. The pump will sit up by the spare tire well.

Next mount the heat exchanger for the intercooler and plub it all up.

Then the manifold needs to come off again so I can make up a fuel rail that will work with the injectors. As they sit on an angle it should be interesting.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... _large.jpg
agecage

Post by agecage »

Hows the progress going? When u hopin to have it back on the road. Looking forward to see u run some good times down the 1/4.
N12 Exa turbo
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Hey, that looks like a pretty easy way to fabricate a collector... I'm thinking folks going to the trouble of joining four tubes with tapered cuts don't do it for nothing, but now I'm wondering just how much that trouble's worth...
PAC_ET wrote:just a thought, any point in using the ac system to turn the ice box for the w2a intercooler into a chill tower?? to always keep the water cold....
Sounds cool, if you'll forgive the pun. The question is, how may hp does the AC compressor use, compared to many you get from the refrigeration?
Sohcturbs

Post by Sohcturbs »

Hoping to have it back on the road 6 months ago haha.

There's at least another 3 months in it till it's turn key.
Luckily though it's really a lot of small jobs left to finish it off. They all take a long time though..and money.

The radiator will be hard fitted tomorrow and the cooler will all be plumbed and fitted.
Sohcturbs

Post by Sohcturbs »

Panel and paint complete, front skirt needs to be repaired and painted.
Hopefully overheating under control, now to try and tune it again.

ImageImageImage
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Nice! Are those my old kits?
Sohcturbs

Post by Sohcturbs »

They are indeed, the rear was fine the side skirts as you know were a bit of a mess. The arches for some reason weren't even close to matching the guards so had to be cut and remolded, one day I'd love to get my hands on some original side skirts.

The front skirt is original I had it painted and apparently it was a good fit but I couldn't get it close so will get the old one tidied up and resprayed.