N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Kimmo's '85 Exa - reincarnated!

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
SashET

Post by SashET »

Where did you get another washer bottle motor from???

Mines fuked too and leaks water....shits me to tears as well.

How did you find one that matches the exa washer bottle? They seem to have a little bit of plastic on them that enables it to be mounted on the bottle.....like it has those little plastic nipples that clip into the bottle.

Cheers
Sash
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Sash sent me a PM since I didn't see his post, but for the record, it was just any old one from a Nissan wrecker's. You can see it pretty good in one of the pics below; I had to locate it with a zip tie, cause it didn't have the clips. I also had to sleeve one of the hoses on, cause the outlet was bigger. No big deal, cause I just happened to have some PVC hose the next size up : ) The important thing was the plug fit.

Here's a pic of the finished preparations for the AFM relo; battery tray cut flush with the chassis member, battery rotated 90° with slightly longer leads to suit, and also requiring crafty low-profile retention, and the AFM lead stripped out of the loom (you can't really make it out in this shitty phone pic).

And here my nifty battery retention mechanism is revealed in its full glory ; )
(Being so close to the edge of the engine bay, the normal jigger would foul the bonnet... I figured it'd prolly be a good move to cover the positive terminal with a bit of rubber, too)

Here's what I cut off the battery tray:

And here's why it's a damn fine thing to have a spare car on hand when you're fucking with shit...
Bastard shattered just when I was nearly done, too... guess I cranked it a bit hard : /

Would have been fucking going off my tits without the spare car. Phew : )

But I had to remove the whole bloody starter to get the other solenoid in, cause the end of it has a hole that slides over an arm, and then there's a tricky bastard of a clip/spring jigger too... the upshot of which, is that because the two bolt holes in the starter mount are oversized, my fucken starter's out of alignment now, and keeps failing to engage, dammit : (

What's the trick to getting it in the right spot?
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Finally got around to doing the AFM relocation today : )

Here are the bits I had to get together first:
The bit of 3" ally bend cost $45 from the same mob who changed my donk : )
Those bits sprayed black are a couple of 65mm PVC end caps I got from Bunnings; one of em has a 1/2" barb screwed into it - these are to block up the log. The other bit is some 2&3/8" steel with a 1/2" T-piece cut and brazed on with silver solder. Like the other T-piece I had made for the water cooling, I had to get out the butane torch and seal up the holes with electrical solder, but it turned out fine... I almost made it too short, but I think it'll hang in there : )

Here's one of the end caps (the silicone tube I had was a little too large, so I had to put a few turns of tape around the ends of the log and the caps):
The caps seem to want pop out; if I don't get around to piffing off the log entirely soon, I'll turn em around.

Here's the finished assembly ready for final fitting:
I didn't require the straight bits on the ally bend, and I figure satin black helps give it that kinda stock look... the end was pretty tricky - the stock elbow/reducer I reused (blocked up the hole with silicone) was slightly too small for the 3" tube required for the pod (I didn't need that chromed bit of plastic that came with the pod, thankfully), so I cut the end off the standard pipe and ground the welds smooth, then with a couple of turns of tape, it was a tight fit inside the tube. Some silicone smeared into each end of the sleeve joint, and plenty of tight turns of duct tape around the outside, and it seems robust enough. The AFM, being the biggest restriction in the inlet, could do with a clean, I thought. There was all this oily gunge built up inside, so I got it apart, cleaned it up, chipped all the old glue off and put it back together with silicone. It'd have to flow slightly better now, I reckon.

Ta-daa!
Just like a bought one : )
The overflow bottle holds both the battery and the elbow securely in place.
There's about an 8mm gap between the fitting I made and the turbo, allowing the hose to flex when the engine moves.

Crossed my fingers and it fired up sweet... it sounds heaps rortier now : D

Haven't taken it for a spin yet; waiting for all the silicone to dry... but I noticed the revs don't seem to bounce up and down during warm idle anymore : )

This bodes well.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

should have a real sweet induction sound now :) with a turbo that size it should go off, boost much stronger earlier!!!!
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

:) Just took it for a quick fang...

Heh heh heh...
<insane gleam>
Hah! Hahahah... mwaaahahahahahaha!!!
Oh yeah. Image It's fun under 3000 again - when the bigger turbo went on, it lost all low-end poke.
Now it's back, bigtime.
Fucken stoked :)

Sounds grouse too, there's this wicked bark on a hard upshift :)

And perhaps the best bit is that it no longer threatens to stall every time I want to start moving.
Last edited by Kimmo on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

not a lot of effort for the great outcome is it really? mine would surge with stock inlet until i moved the afm(admittadly i didnt have any cold idle cos i didnt care about that) after the move whammo power is amazing isnt it. massive difference between moved and removed as well !!!
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I can't get over how much better it is now :)
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

ive had people tell me its not worth it roflmao, if it doesnt make a difference something is wrong hehehehe now u can go enjoy that nice sized turbo almost to its potential.........now u just need a aftermarket ecu to squeeze that extra out of it ;)
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I keep seeing a small, yet high-flowing TMIC enclosed and bathed in refrigerant...

Wonder how many amps an appropriate compressor would draw?
Or maybe it could just be integrated with my aircon...
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

And now the log removal's done.

First, I made a throttle cable bracket out of a bit of extruded aluminium I knew would come in handy one day...

BTW, I didn't have a tap to put that thread through the bracket, so I made one with a spare screw ; )

Dremels kick arse. The Ozito one I use was $42 from Bunnings.

Then I went the hack on my spare log. The other car is so damn handy; I could take my time here.

Did the home-made tap trick again to get this bit through some more ally plate.

Here's what's left of the log after I bent up some plate and stuck it together with silicone. Turned out it needed a couple of rivets to secure the barb.

Can you see it? Where's Wally? : p

I pinched the other curved hose from the spare car. Azip tie stops it from bouncing around.

Room for my blow-off valve now.

Mmm, tidy :D

And for the sake of any noobs, the third element of the log removal is the two bits of chunky plate you see bolted to the inlet manifold to block off the water gallery.
Last edited by Kimmo on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Nice work mate, very well done!

Kudos
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Cheers :D

That last bit made almost as much difference to the looks under the bonnet as the AFM relocation...

BTW, I posted a reply including all three stages in the AFM relocation thread in Completed Articles... that thread needed pix.
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?p=41044#41044
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Drove down to Enzed today to get the oil line done... I took the steel line off in the carpark (had to bite the bullet and cut it) and the bloke cut the ends off and brazed some fittings on and did me a braided stainless teflon hose... cost about $95.

Now I can get a proper manifold happening... can't wait to fuck off that cast iron shit.

So prolly next week I'll take it in for a complete exhaust; equal length runners, turbs two or three inches higher and to the (car's) left, split dump, 2.5".
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

a more free flowing exhaust will release a bit more power thats for sure, didnt realise it was still basically standard

keen to see this braided teflon hose too, pics?

whats the cover hiding on the left strut tower? cant remember seeing one before
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.