N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Kimmo's '85 Exa - reincarnated!

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I'm not sure if that's the same actuator the turbo came with, actually... it's sposed to be 8 PSI. I'd be happy to give it 10 without the IC, but I should prolly run it in, first...
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

good luck with th enew engine Kimmo, I hope that blutac doesn't foul it up for you.

C
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Cheers... pretty sure the BluTack stayed in the fucked engine, though.

I should check that
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Actually, all the intake gear seems to be off the old motor, so I got to keep the BluTack ; )
You might be able to see a slight a gap around one side there... I guess either the valve was failing and letting air in, or more likely, boost had pushed it further into the valve, since it was hard to fill it entirely because it's bigger inside.

LOL, the spark plug collection ; )

I didn't dig the silver rocker cover, so I swapped it out
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Eighteen bucks for this shit!
Take your chances with the BluTack, I reckon...

Seriously, just fill the cun with silicone.
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

haha, good work mate, haha, love your attitude, haha, Blu Tack FTW! :lol:
ET coming back from the dead.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

now that is a better suggestion, high temp, fuel resistant silicon. This type of stuff is used as a lot of gasket forming compounds, just make sure there isn't any knobbly bits that could easily dislodge.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Stick enough in, and once it sets, you'd have to gouge it out.

Here's a crappy cross-section to illustrate the situation.
The black shit would be your silicone.
Too easy. Spend the money on the silicone and have heaps left over.
Damo

Post by Damo »

With the 'run in', if it is a truly spanker, don't let the thing idle for too long (less than 1min) and don't maintain low/med revs at light throtal for extended periods. As for giving it a LITTLE stick, go for it!, just stay on standard boost and don't rev it past 4.5-5000rpm for the run in.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Thanks for the tip...

What about the turbo timer? The guy at the shop said to use it...

If the car's not meant to idle for long, how am I gonna stop the oil from carbonising on the turbo seals? Kinda between a rock and a hard place there...

I gather the no idling bit is for the sake of a new cam, but I'd imagine a reco motor would make do with an original cam, right?
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

jsut drive it kindly before stopping. I have a turbo timer and only use it when i want to run into a shop to grab something quickly lol.
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Finally got around to doing a few things since putting a stop to the smokescreen action...

Got another washer motor cause both the ones I had were cracked, and repeated attempts to sort it with silicone proved to be a waste of time... for $2.50, I should have just got another one straight off. Hardly worth mentioning, but it's amazing how much something like having to continually top up a washer bottle detracts from the overall satisfaction factor...

Got a nice pair of 50W 6.5" coaxes for the back for cheap; superceded display jobbies for $25 the pair... a joy to fade my crappy fronts out of the picture.

And I finally got around to getting some new battery terminals and some beefy cable, and lengthened the wires to the battery a bit... I'm gonna turn my battery 90 degrees and cut the projecting part of the battery tray off, in preparation for the impending AFM relocation...

BTW, here's the hot tip with battery cables - solder the ends (if you don't have a big iron or little torch, use the stove when the missus isn't home ; ) )... the solder wicks up inside the insulation about an inch, and the cable will last forever - no frayed or broken bits from clamping. Also eliminates the necessity to get other fittings swaged onto the other end... solder's gotta shit on crimping.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Post by thepurplepulsar »

Damo wrote:With the 'run in', if it is a truly spanker, don't let the thing idle for too long (less than 1min) and don't maintain low/med revs at light throtal for extended periods. As for giving it a LITTLE stick, go for it!, just stay on standard boost and don't rev it past 4.5-5000rpm for the run in.

Damo
Along with that... I was told to do a a shitload of deceleration while running mine in.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Kimmo wrote:........solder's gotta shit on crimping.
Amen my brother!
Soldering is about a billion times more reliable & given the opportunity I would go backward in time and stab the guy who come up with crimping.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Took fucken ages though; couldn't find my 1.6mm solder and had to feed in bloody metres of 0.7mm, dammit

given the opportunity I would go backward in time and stab the guy who come up with crimping.
BTW, LOL