N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

UPDATED: Dunc's EXA (now with ENGINE pics)

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
EXAsperate

UPDATED: Dunc's EXA (now with ENGINE pics)

Post by EXAsperate »

NEW engine pics: Oh i put the AFM relocation back to original position as I have been trying to get a rwc and sort out my infamous cold idle surging...

Hey fellow ntwelvers,
I am new to this forum and it was recommended by a friend for some techincal advice/info on my EXA turbo.

Just bought the 1985 model last week. I used to own an 86 Langley N12 with a worked 1.6lt and 74FWkw....not huge but for its lightened 780kg it was funny to drag off TX5 turbos, VN's etc...this was 8 years ago mind you. Anyhoo - I recently decided to go back to an N12 this time turbo charged as a 2nd car to run to work but mainly race in Autocross (gravel roads to work were killing my other car)

I have a few recent issues which i will post in the relevant section, however the car has the following details (pics to be organised soon)

168K kms (original)
Port and Polished rebuilt heads
HKS custom intercooler custom piping
300zx bb water cooled turbo (gt25 or gt28 - can't seem to tell)
Custom full Aluminium radiator
Blitz air filter
3" dump pipe straight through and Zigen muffler (not a huge fan but came with it)
Auto-tek by MOMO steering wheel
custom alloy gear knob
Runs around 6-7psi (bit low but being conservative atm)
clean interior with no rips.

everything else (including steel wheels) is original and undamaged.

full throttle the thing launches but struggles with the undersized 165/75/13

please see my issues in the technical section maybe you n12 guru's can help(Click here: EXA issues N12turbo help! )

Cheers and looking forward your advice
Dunc (aka EXAsperate)

UPDATED: 1998: my old n12 worked carby....remember it like yesterday. A mate photoshopped the background into B&W but appart from that the burnout is for real. Don't believe it - kris i will show you the developed genuine photo when you drop past to verify. I remember it like yesterday - 35deg 185's Barum's on front that needed a frying.
Last edited by EXAsperate on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
EXAsperate - to wind up, infuriate, drive mad, frustrate, annoy and drive around the bend.
Langley84

Post by Langley84 »

This thread is useless without pics!!! :lol: 8) :roll:
{TUBZ}

Post by {TUBZ} »

nice welcome bro and put some pics up
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Hey there,
I don't think the 300ZX turbo is a BB, but other here should be able to confirm.
Also nice to see someone else who want more from there Exa than drags. I run one too in motorkhana , hillclimbs and sprints, well I will again when the garage gets finished and then when I've fixed the blown head gasket. I don't think they would be very good on Autocross or rally though, both tend to suit rwd 4wd better than fwd. Are you in a CAMS affiliated club?

C
EXAsperate

Post by EXAsperate »

Yeah - I leant my digi camera to a mate and haven't seen it since will organise asap. Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Not 100% sure about the club - its Geelong motorsport club we do require a cams licence 2S or 2NS anyway - its just a cheap form of motorsport.

The Geelong track (avalon actually) are best suited for FWD so I am told (80% run FWD's) aparently RWD's are too slow and would like to be relatively competitive so running thinner taller diameter tyres should dig in around corners and pull a bit better.
EXAsperate - to wind up, infuriate, drive mad, frustrate, annoy and drive around the bend.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

G'day Dunc, welcome to the club!
As Callum said, good to see some more track cars happening, this will be the eventual purpose of my car - should I ever get it finished.......
I fixed up your post with the link to your tech thread.
Cheers mate!
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
EXAsperate

Post by EXAsperate »

Cheers mate!

I am sure my car won't be as professionally done as most of the cars I have already seen on the forum - some are absolutely amazing! i am embarassed to post pics of mine!!!!
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Hey - at least yours is in one piece..... mine is spread all about my garage!
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

welcome dude. don't be shy posting your pics up. we don't care if it looks like a bomb or a showstopper! as long as it's an N12 Turbo.
like the other's wrote, good to se someone building there n12 for track/rally action. :twisted:
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

i love your sig... describes my et beautifully
MY CAR FOR SALE... see the for sale section

136.6kw @ 12psi, Microtech LT8s T28/25g hybrid.
photoglossy

Re: Dunc's EXA

Post by photoglossy »

EXAsperate wrote:Port and Polished rebuilt heads
Heads?
EXAsperate wrote:300zx bb water cooled turbo (gt25 or gt28 - can't seem to tell)
The 300zx turbo is a hybrid turbo. It is a T2 Exhaust side with a T25 compressor side.
EXAsperate wrote:Custom full Aluminium radiator
PIX?!
EXAsperate wrote:Runs around 6-7psi (bit low but being conservative atm)
Should be able to wind it up to 12 no probs

Sounds like a nice lil car. Just need some pix! :D
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

If you can get 2Sor 2NS licences thenth club is affiliated. I'm surprised that they reckon Avalon suits FWD. I'm with Nissan Car Club Aust (NCCA) and most run RWD. Discussion there don't think FWD would be to competetive on any autocross, so I'm really keen to hear how you get on.
C
EXAsperate

Post by EXAsperate »

yeah the previous owner told me the specs on the turbo but i didn't pay too much attention to be honest. Could be a T2 exhaust side with T25 comp side does resemble it. I looked on the turbo and can't seem to find any details identifying it.

port and polished 'head' - I am used to working on V6's and V8's hence my habbit of using plural when it comes to head work.

Well most drivers think FWD's are well suited - however the little exa has alot of potential since it spools up so early (around 2800rpm). I will run larger diameter wheels and tyres (not nec wider than 175) but i suppose only time and experience tuning it to suit the track will prove worthwhile...should be fun though!
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

For sure, they are very fun cars :) Definatly great bang for ya buck!
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

hey dunc, I was wondering how long until you'd get on here. Lots of knowledgable people. :D Not long till mines finished

Cheers

Kris