N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

David's 85 ET Pulsar

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

go some where else, all those things you listed are needed for roadie, not mod plate. what did he knock you back on, sounds like hes got cold feet to me............. if you get stuck pm me and i might be able to help you out
et_sleeper

Post by et_sleeper »

Yeah, the things I listed were things I got done before going to see him. He listed many things, such as aftermarket ecu is illegal, numerous parts of front bar / grill / radiator support / battery tray, etc have been cut (affecting the crumple-zone of the car in case of an accident), some missing bolts or brackets, rust on the firewall, battery not secure, no covering for the flywheel, etc. All this stuff was quite a shock at the time. The biggest issues seem to be the ecu and the cutting at the front.
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

have a bit of a read over this, might help you out.... would be a shame to not be able to get it regoed after all the work you,ve put into it. i will pm you a phone number when i can find it of a guy that does blue plates.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGIS ... VSSR99.pdf
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

et_sleeper wrote: p.s. I would recommend getting a mod plate guy to check your car over BEFORE you get any stuff done to yours, to save the problems I have faced. Lesson learnt.
NEVER a wiser word spoken.

Is a very common thing for dudes to get carried away with major engineering changes BEFORE they are submitted AND approved only to have it bite them hard on the arse as in ETSleepers case..

It makes the whole process that much harder... Some times impossible.
On a semi monococque, you just cannot go cutting up structural parts, simple as that. UNLESS the cuts are bolted back together in an APPROVED manner which must be worked out, approved and signed off, BEFORE the blue tongued spanner or the 9" wheel of death ever comes out of the cupboard.
Is why on some cars things like fibreglass guards are illegal as the front guards form part of the entire structure.
Even just bolting new guards on as opposed to welding them on becomes a subject of engineering attention.
You can easily get away with it on the likes of full chassis commercials with little drama tho and this is why dudes who want to fit large V8's into things like Gemmies and Corollas et-al and so-on build basically a full chassis and drop the original body onto it. ALL approved and signed off on BEFORE the metal is even bought!

The issue of aftermarket ECU's is fairly clear when you look into it.
Im not really aware of ANY of them being ADR compliant and so are sold For Off-road/Competition use only.
Somewhere in their product blurbs or on the ECU itself this is made clear. EG: Microtech, have it plainly printed on their cases right on the front for all to see.
I think they "can" eventually be complied with stringent emissions testing but I believe its near on impossible.

This car is too cool to just consign to the track.

Get with your engineer and work out appropriate re-inforcing of the cut members and fit up a stock ECU, get your mod plates and so-on sorted and THEN go again.

I for one would be sorely disappointed to see this thing shelved.
Best of luck dude.
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

tassuperkart wrote:I for one would be sorely disappointed to see this thing shelved.
Best of luck dude.
Ditto.
et_sleeper

Post by et_sleeper »

Hey Guys, it's been nearly a year, but my ET will be making a re-appearance very soon - on the drag strip. It's going to be a dedicated drag car now, and it's currently at Top RPM getting one or two things sorted out, but has already made over 270hp at the wheels on 17psi with some misfiring on the dyno. Once the issue is sorted, expecting over 300hp out of it (on more boost). Should know in the next week.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Tyre fryer!!!!!!
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

holy crap, 3rd gearies up the road FTW lol
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

my mind may work differently to others but fuck a mod plate, i dont even kno what it is but the sound of it annoys me..... i took my car to a vic roads engineer to try and do the right thing (would be a first) he laughed, and i got the run down on prooving grounds, epa, fukn adr, blah blah blah. when i'm done, exhaust poping out just shy of the drivers wheel and external gate right next to it, i'm drivin that bitch fuk em they'll sting you for something anyway....... my mate got a full tubbed vl runs 9's has a chute engine a foot outta the bonnet no reg takes it out on summers days cruises all the time, you get pulled over and the fine is a years reg anyway. just drive it bro, its what you built it for
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Sometimes you walk into a place, the guy likes you and bends over backwards to help. Other times they don't and you get drummed out the door.
The way it goes.

But some of the things in the ADRs are there for very good reasons - like exhausts exiting the rear of a car. Before that people would be driving down the road and get slowly gassed, passing out behind the wheel. All because the exhaust fumes slowly filled the cabin and they didn't realise. Not good for them or other road users. That said not really a problem on a 10 second pass....

I guess the point is there are things that don't really matter and others that do...It's best to stay within the intent of the law if you want to drive on the public roads. Otherwise track it! much better fun and works out a whole lot cheaper than the fines. Not to mention the new VIC powers to confiscate the car for 30 days....

C
madn12

Post by madn12 »

Forcd4 wrote: my mate got a full tubbed vl runs 9's has a chute engine a foot outta the bonnet no reg takes it out on summers days cruises all the time, you get pulled over and the fine is a years reg anyway. just drive it bro, its what you built it for
awsome advice :roll:
85 n12 n/a manual pulsar - extractors | muffler | coilovers <gone
86 n12 et pulsar - vl tb | pod | coilovers | full kit
88 tn magna with worked n/a motor
96 te magna dumped on 18"s
02 tj VRX
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Forcd4 wrote:my mind may work differently to others but fuck a mod plate, i dont even kno what it is but the sound of it annoys me..... i took my car to a vic roads engineer to try and do the right thing (would be a first) he laughed, and i got the run down on prooving grounds, epa, fukn adr, blah blah blah. when i'm done, exhaust poping out just shy of the drivers wheel and external gate right next to it, i'm drivin that bitch fuk em they'll sting you for something anyway....... my mate got a full tubbed vl runs 9's has a chute engine a foot outta the bonnet no reg takes it out on summers days cruises all the time, you get pulled over and the fine is a years reg anyway. just drive it bro, its what you built it for
Well, the both of you wont be quite so cocky when your pride and joys are confiscated once and then destroyed the next.

What happens in the (even if its remote) event of an accident? Just a little ding. And th GF gets hurt, like bangs her head on the roll cage or the "B" pillar just a little harder than shed like and after a year and a halfs therapy ends up having quite a bit of difficulty with controlling her bowel movement or counting her fingers and toes and even just saying "hello"

It tends to sound like Mffffelddddewwww"?

Who pays for that then?

You may be able to account for your own driving prowess but you cant account for the camel fucker who drive up ur arse can you?

Real good advice M8... Rip it up eh! Yo! Rage against the machine!

L8r
E
sashN12

Post by sashN12 »

hey mate, what parts do u need exactly for the ca conversion?
got my motor out atm and wondering if its worth wacking a ca18det in there?
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

Fuck :shock: I have read some immature shit before but that almost takes the cake! LOL.
et_sleeper

Post by et_sleeper »

Unfortunately, the misfiring issue is due to a wiring / electrical problem of uncertain origin. I'm going to look at getting a mate to rewire it from scratch with minimal necessary wiring in it. But it will probably have to sit for a while until I can afford to do what is necessary. I want to swap the microtech for a haltech, get a dash unit, relocate the battery, and put a switch panel in. Also, now that it is stripped, put in a race seat, harness, roll cage, and maybe get the head shaved with a metal head gasket to run 20psi or so (only a stock ca18det), and way down the track, maybe a rebuild, ppg dog box, and single plate clutch. TopRPM Motorsport made a custom stainless steel 3" dump into a side pipe, out next to the front passenger wheel, and it's running a pump / tolulene mix now. I will send it back to them when it's ready to be tuned. Can't wait to race it at Willowbank Raceway drag strip.

SashN12, I just bought the ca18det half cut (which was an auto), and a ca manual box, and had to get custom engine mounts made for it, but I think there were some minor issues sorting out the brake setup for it, but it depends what you want to do with them, I guess. And the CV's had to be modified. But a ca conversion is definitely worth it if you want to mod it up a bit. But see a mod plater first if you want to do all that.

Cheers.