N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Kixer's '85 N12ET

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
kixer

Kixer's '85 N12ET

Post by kixer »

Hey guys,
I just bought this ET off a friend of a friend - when I bought it the ring-gear was b0rked and had therefore destroyed the starter as well. I dropped it off at the menders and got them to fix that as well as replace the clutch.

This car has apparently been modded a fair bit - the bloke I got it off didn't seem to know that much about it but he says that it has been bored out to 1.7 litres. I was then told by someone else that this was an unrealistic figure - so I am really unsure as to what has been done. The interior has been half-redone, the carpet was replaced by only the front is done - the back is plain metal. The back seats have been removed to make way for the harnesses to be bolted down. Race seats and a large boost guage, as well steering wheel and pedals.

I went driving with the previous owner and we clocked 0-100km/h in around 9.5 seconds. Keep in mind that was done with my phone and my timing.

Anyways, yeah it came with a lot of uninstalled stuff - such as new disc brakes and pads, an intercooler and some piping, and a body-kit. The paintjob is pretty fucked, so a respray is in order (which is lucky because the kit is a different colour). As for the intercooler I was thinking I might move the battery to the back of the car (lots of space as a result of no seats :P) and then putting the intercooler where the battery was and then cutting a small scoop in the bonnet.

I don't know a lot about cars but I would like to learn - so expect a lot of questions :)

Sam

ps. Old Pix!
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

nice dude. keep it up. its always fun to work on a car and start rebuilding it.

the 1.7L think could be the 1688cc stroker setup, where you use an E16 crank and E15ET rods and some shaved pistons

also with a bit of work its not hard to get an E15ET into the 0-100 in 7-8 second range, as i think 9.5-10 is about stock for one of these things..

keep us posted with new pictures a stuff. were all here to help.

HewiB
kixer

Post by kixer »

Thanks a lot Ben... I just remembered a few things I forgot to mention - the car also has a BOV and pod-filter installed. I got abused by some bloke who said that BOVs are ricer and shit :P But it's more efficient hey?

Oh and it's got some fancy-pants rims with Nissan caps on them which is pretty cool. The guy that I bought it off had a bit of a collision with the curb and the tire exploded. So I've got to refit the matching rim (the spare is a stock mag).

Another two things are exhaust (not sure if it's just the tip or other stuff but it certainly doesn't sound stock), and the suspension. I got told it's sports tuned and the front is lowered. I kind of don't like the front lowering - speedbumps are my worst enemy and the bodykit isn't even installed yet!

So you think that 9.5 seconds is about stock?? I'll have to try again but much harder then :P
etking

Post by etking »

definitely sounds like its got of potential there

clean her up a bit, do a few more mods and you should be crusing quite nicely, keep up the work

more mods will come along on this new forum just keep your eyes out
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

yeah 9.5 to 10 stock.. my brothers car was fairly mild in mods and we ran a best of 6.1 0-100 with a G-tech.. not that you can trust them of couorse, but even with a stop watch we managed 5.8 - 6.5 seconds.. that with 2 people in it as well.. so its not hard to make them go fast..

whats great is in a 2nd gear roll on at 60mn/h with a WRX STi, the suby only came past when i was close to the top end of third.. so you cna make them quick.. thats for sure.
angel

Post by angel »

yeh love the ET, doesnt take too much to make them quick, cheap on fuel and a fair few parts available at cheap prices.

good luck,
kixer

Post by kixer »

Hmm now that you mention fuel economy - mine seems to just guzzle and guzzle it. It's twice as bad as my parent's 4.0l V6. It might just be the way I drive it, but I also got told as a result of the bore the car might be running with a funny fuel-oxygen mix because the ECU is untouched.

I would have thought that would have made it run lean rather than rich, but whatever.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Look like you've got a good base to start with.
If you want carpet for the back, I have some near new carpet that is fine, but the front passengers floor has a big burn in it. (previous owner didn't think a fuse on the main power feed from the relocated battery was necessary...)