N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Timmzy's ET

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

haha awesome effort
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

FOr those that didn't know I had to finish the track day early because my engine was moving around too much. Like jumping out of gear too much (!)

Took a good look at the car tonight and it seems as though all of the bolts holding the rear engine mount to the gearbox/engine are loose. How they got loose I don't know. They were torqued up when the engine was installed. I know because I did it!

Its worth noting that there are solid pieces of bar in place of the shitty little shock absorpers in the front and rear engine mounts. Maybe these are placing too much stress/vibration through the mount?

Either way I took a look at Callums engine mounts, so I am going to head to the wreckers this weekend and see if I can get some different mounts. EIther off a NA pulsar or Exa. The ones that have the metal bar with the rubber in each end. Kind of like a dog bone :)

Anyway,,,,The gearbox doesn't seem too happy anyway. Its dropped some oil on the garage floor and it seems to be coming from the seal in between the 2 box halves, so that's gonna be a killer. Should be interesting to see if the box will hold for another track day.

Its worth noting that I don't do ridiculous starts in this car or thump the box with flat changes. I think if I had have done this with the current loose mounts, I would be faced with a smashed gearbox now. Just luck I guess because it was axle tramping out of some of the corners later on in the day which it has NEVER done before. COuld be part of the problem.

Darren.
Race it.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I think it just happens.
Before I drove to Willowbank I had an O2 sensor welded into my dump (pipe) and when i went to pick up the car he was just torquing the nuts on the dump.
After driving up racing and driving back, I lost one nut, one bolt and all the rest were loose as! I put it down to the loud exhaust and vibration from the engine.
So that's about 1500km's of driving and 4 runs down the strip. I think i'm going to have to get some of those cages to hold the nuts on.
Perhaps the leaking box is just some of the long bolts holding it together have loosened off also.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Darren,
A question on your brake upgrade. YOur using the TM,TN,TP Mitsu Magna rotors (DBA221) diameter 266mm. Just like to confirm that you had to machine two elements to make them fit:

1. open the centre hole on the rotor from the 69mm diameter to 76mm for the ET

2. face off the hub and the inside of the rotor a few mm each to move the rotor 5mm (approx) back towards the strut, thereby centering it too the caliper.

Correct?

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Callum,

^^ Spot on. However, the more I think about your suggestion to turn the hubs down, therefore eleviating the need to machine rotors each time you replace. I believe it was exactly 5mm, if memory serves me right.

This may allow you to choose a different rotor too. Maybe something a little bigger or a lot more common?
Race it.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Engine mounts:

As most people may/may not know there are 3 large bolts (17mm socket end) and one smaller (14mm socket end) bolts holding the rear engine mount onto the bellhouse/gearbox and engine.

I had problems with the rear mount at my last track day which ended up working turbo bolts off and making second gear almost impossible to find.

Well, as it turns out I got underneath and had a real good look and play. ALL of the bolts were loose (!) holding this engine mount onto the engine, and one of them was - after some investigation and measuring - was 15mm too short. I must have inserted a shorter/smaller bolt into that position when installing the engine.

So I am going to have to head down to the fastener joint and get the correct length bolt that ultilises the whole thread. The GOOD NEWS is that is has NOT wrecked the alloy thread inside the gearbox casing. I got one of the other bolts and inserted it to check - VERY carefully.

Also, I am looking at ditching the current pieces of metal I have in place of the damping shock absorpers at the firewall and radiator support. The metal is just too harsh and I think it may have contributed to some of these bolts coming loose because of the lack of vibration absorption.

ANywho, I am heading off the wreckers next weekend to get what I need.

zDarren
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Timmzy wrote:Callum,

^^ Spot on. However, the more I think about your suggestion to turn the hubs down, therefore eleviating the need to machine rotors each time you replace. I believe it was exactly 5mm, if memory serves me right.

This may allow you to choose a different rotor too. Maybe something a little bigger or a lot more common?

Yeah Darren,
I was thinking some more and even if you don't face the disk centre off you'll still have to enlarge the hole!. So I was looking at some other disk options.

Firstly going to the twinspot mitsub Akebono caliper instead of the TN/TM. You've used the Magna DB221 (266 diam, 45.5 height, 69 centre hole), but the other guys have used the HH5 Galant DBA402 (276 Diam, 48 hieght, 69 centre hole). I was thinking of switching this to the Z31 300zx/R30 Skyline DBA608 (274mm Diam, 35.5 height, 81 centre hole). This won't need the centre machined and would be damn close to a straight fit. The exa/Et vented hieght is 36.5, and you took 5mm out of 45.5mm hieght to work with the TM/TN magna. So I reckon the DBA608 may just require a spacer with the Akebono twin spot....

Do you think the 2mm diameter will matter, leaving the pad sitting off the edge of the disk?

C

C
Last edited by Callumgw on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

Great work and perseverence mate.
Is your cage road-approved ?
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Dillion,
He hasn't sought to have it road approved AFAIK, and doubt it would pass.

Darren,
You mentioned you might try to get out to Calder in June, you still trying too?

C
Last edited by Callumgw on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Dillon,

I originally didn't even bother with getting the cage road approved, but on taking a quick (and I mean quick here) look at the regulations, I think that with some modification and setting up the registration for 2 persons instead of 5 person, I may be able to get away with it. I would have to look into it further. The side intrusions seems to meet the standards, as does the headroom braces and minimum clearance distances. So it might be close, I was suitably amazed.

It was never designed to be road registered anyway. Its designed to protect in the event of a roll-over or side intrusion. A lot of people have died in these cars over the years from roll-overs.

Its second advantage is that is has stiffened the chassis up remarkably. Luckily I hadn't spent a great deal of time or effort on the suspension, because the behaviour of the car changed completely. Suspension is something that I am looking into now.

Callum, Calder was on the cards until some people from work have pulled out - for various reasons. We were going to do one of their practice sessions held on a Wednesday from 8 till 4 for $185. I am still considering doing it as I need more tracktime. But if I do I will be attending by myself. UNLESS you want to come down and race too :D I have a day up my sleeve from work so I think I may do this anyway, even if it is by myself. Ill get one up on the boys!! hahaha.

Would you be ready to go? It certainly looks like your damn close. Whatever you do don't make the mistake of trying to have everything perfect. Just have it reliable, on stock boost. You would be amazed how much fun my mate in his Levin had with ~90kws at the wheels. He was on par with a whopping big turboed VL which had the race tyres on etc etc.

Its funny how the track really evens everybody out. I reckon if you raced all of our ET's and Exa's together it would be quite close, regardless of the power.

Anyway massive post. Im out.

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I'm keen, dates depending (bloody work can get in the way sometimes). I just need to finish the seat mountingwant to tweek the back angle a little and maybe put an extra element under to spread the plate better on a floor rib. Half day stuffing about tops....

Let me know!

C

PS. Any other members up for it?
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

Timmzy wrote: Its second advantage is that is has stiffened the chassis up remarkably. Luckily I hadn't spent a great deal of time or effort on the suspension, because the behaviour of the car changed completely
especially with the solid base plates and tags to the bodywork you did.
good to hear.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Darren,
A question about your VL Auto tps. Whats the pin configuration? three pins, power in? power out? earth? not these? which is which?

Cheers!

C
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Callumgw wrote: I was thinking of switching this to the Z31 300zx/R30 Skyline DBA608 (274mm Diam, 35.5 height, 81 centre hole). This won't need the centre machined and would be damn close to a straight fit. The exa/Et vented hieght is 36.5, and you took 5mm out of 45.5mm hieght to work with the TM/TN magna. So I reckon the DBA608 may just require a spacer with the Akebono twin spot....
C
I was doing the thinking on this again before I order the rotors and figured I got it stuffed up. So anyone looking at this the DBA608 rotor wont work. Taking 5 mm from the inside of the rotor or the hub will increase the effective offset, not decrease like these discs do. - My bad.

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Update,

Busted an exhaust stud off my turbo manifold. The studs were welded in so now its cactus.

I have to remove exhaust, turbo and manifold to even begin work. Dammit.

I Think its due to the engine mounts allowing too much movement and also because the whole turbo weight is hanging off those 4 studs.

So ET is off the road again. I have to fix it ASAP because there is a track day in Oct I want to do.

Ah well, probably an opportunity to fix a few other things while I am there I guess. Should be interesting.

Darren.
Race it.