N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Timmzy's ET

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

ow, ow, which track day?
C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Well,

Driver Dynamics are running 4 hour sessions every Friday night from 5 till 9pm from 10th Oct onwards for $150. Plus a THursday full day on 30th. So I was going to try and get to a couple of them. The 10th will be out I think because I don't know how long its gonna take to fix and re-assemble this exhaust setup. Its not an easy job.

Check out driverdynamics.com.au - They are running almost every Friday night through summer for the 4 hour sessions. I would like to attend as many as possible.

There is also some Winton and Calder days I have my eyes on in November/December. Calder has been re-surfaced and its meant to be pretty good from what I have heard. The track is still a bit 'green' though. Although I don;t give a shit I just want to get out there and give it a crack!!

Darren.
Race it.
Timmzy

Re: Update - Raced at Winton last w/end and it was WET :)

Post by Timmzy »

Wow. Its been a long time since I updated this thread. Longer than I thought.

Since Sep08 I think I have done probably 6-7 track days including the Friday night Driver Dynamics nights toward the end of 2008, which were cancelled by the neighbours living close to Sandown - They didn't like the noise.

Anywho, since then I have:
- Fitted CAMS/FIA MotorQuality Harness.
- Fitted CAMS approved Fire Extinguisher.
- Thats it!
- Fuelled it and raced it.

Turbo is starting to wear a little second hand. Starting to show is age with the tiniest bit of axial (side-to-side) movement, but its still boosts OK. It does leave a slight oil coating on the compressor outlet pipe too now. I don't think I will be able to run big boost through this turbo, I don't reckon it would cope. The current 12pSI is wearing it out enough anyway. See how we go I guess. Engine is still good. Gearbox is OK, after like 20mins around a track it sort of gets hard to select 2nd gear without crunching. But its still good.

Raced at Winton on queens birthday. Best time of 1:53 on a wet track with a drying line. Not the best time, but it was my first "timed" benchmark, so we will see how we go next time. No damage to report. I was consistantly mid field in terms of overall standings, but once the rain started I just slid around and had some fun. Mates took some photo's ill work toward getting them posted. Some great sideways shots :)

I am "in between" jobs at the moment, I do have something lined up but I am currently on a 4 week paid holiday :) So the ET may see some work, which would be nice. I still have a fuel system requirement that never eventuated haha.

I got myself a new set of everyday wheels (because I lost lease car) its a 1992 VQ Statesman and its like driving a limo. Gonna get it put on gas ASAP. Its the V6, and its got a towbar :) Thanks to those that replied to my "want a car" advert.

Anyway that's about it.

Looking at doing the Fun day at Winton around ~ 4th of July, not a 100% sure just yet. Depends on a few other things.

Seeya
Darren.
Race it.
Timmzy

RE: Update

Post by Timmzy »

Wow,

Long time on updates......Not much to update mechanically, but I am booked in for the Winton 6hr at the end of October! Therefore that will force a whole heap of mechanical updates coming soon :)

We are camping up there for the weekend, and I am in a "bitsa" team that is loosly associated with the Toyota celica forums/website...so that should be fun.

Darren.
Race it.
SevPP

Post by SevPP »

Have you got a AASA "race" license? If not you should get one and have a run in the VMRC and AMRS rounds. Entry is very affordable and license is around $200 a year. Your car is plenty suitable! The TT (tin top) class. Basically anything goes. I'm planning to run in tt next year with the mazda.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers, Glen.
Timmzy

Update

Post by Timmzy »

Winton 6 hour last month. We came 25th overall.

I spun a bearing in my engine. It appears to have ran itself dry of oil. And yes i checked it before I went out :oops: It had filled up the catchcan with oil and without a return to the sump, slowly depleted itself of oil until it konked.

The engine didn't seize it still turns over OK. ANd it didn't throw conrods, etc. so I am hoping some of the components can be re-used as its a 1.7L stroker. But for now I am sourcing another engine/box to throw in shorterm. I'd like to do some more racing next year.

Some pics to follow

Darren.
Race it.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

In the pits all stickered up after practice

Race it.
Timmzy

Pics

Post by Timmzy »

I was racing with these guys:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... 00&page=46
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... 00&page=47

Although they were in a different team - the Celica teams

My mate Timbo in his RA28LT with a 6cyl 1G in it on page 46 with the dark red pumped front guards (bald head) was fucking hauling ass. LIterally whistling past pits on the front straight. Each gear change the car would squat and just rocket past everything.

He is an extremely talented engineer. The car has a 1G 6cyl turbo horseshoed in it with a 5 speed box, complete hilux live axle diff because nothing will hold the power and a complete S13 front cradle in it to get better adjustment from the car. It was its first run out after having several issues in years gone by. Bloody impressive and woould run around like that all-day everyday. Not sure on horsepower, but fark me it overtook some "high" HP cars easily on the straights. Still some work to do on handling, but will be very impressive.

ANyway thats enough for now.

I got a couple of pics to scan in from on-track shots........olater
Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

man you need more pictures!

C
Timmzy

heads up

Post by Timmzy »

Haven't raced all year cos I damaged the engine last October in the Winton 6hour. and its been a hectic year.

Over not racing - so I got cracking over the weekend preparing a standard engine and gearbox to go into the ET while I pull out the "good" motor/gearbox to the fix it.

Got a complete E15ET engine and box for $150 ages ago. Bottom end looks good, head has a few marks on it which I die ground/smoothed out. New stem seals (prick of a job - don't know how people do them in car) new head gasket, new front/rear/sump seals. See how we go.

GOt some pics Ill get up later.

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I did stems seals in place, not actually that hard. Just use a dummy rocker pivot...still go the one I used.

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yup. What HE said.

Your a girl Darren........ LAWL!

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
WXTBIX

Post by WXTBIX »

Darren,

PM me about the engine in my car.....1.7 lt stroker

Cheers

Kris
Timmzy

Update

Post by Timmzy »

So.......A spot has opened up on the Winton 6 hour team that I competed in last year, so I signed up and paid entry, got my licence and membership up to date. Now I'm in.

Fuck.

Racing on the 15 & 16th October. In 5 weeks.

Need to change engine and dyno! Which is a lot considering I haven't touched it in 12 months.

Got into it today:
- Torqued down rebuilt head with new head gasket (permaseal) on spare engine
- replaced front and rear seals and sump gasked on spare engine
- installed as many ancillaries as possible on spare engine, water pump, alt drive and bracket, etc
- rotated to check clearance on valves, etc and set tappets at same time on spare engine
- Got a flyweheel, clutch assembly.

Then on the car I have removed cooler piping, turbo, exhaust, exhaust manifold, cooling system.

Tomorrow ill carefully remove wiring, and vacuum tubes.got some tags to write everything on to hopefully speed up the the installation of this spare engine.

Didn't actually take that long either.

these hands aren't made for working these days, I haven't built one of these damn things for 8 years, its amazing what you actually forget.

So there you go. I've actually done something.

Getting an engine crane during the week, so hopefully the actual engine swap will happen next weekend.

Darren,.
Race it.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Posting some pics.

Big progress on the weekend just gone. Basically spare engine is ready to drop in after flywheel, gearbox and mounts bolt up and the engine/box in car is ready to come out.

Some pics of the spare engine clean, seals, and assembly. Oh and a little fixing of some damage to the head from previous boost - its ummm interesting. But I die ground it out and smoothed so it will be fine...hopefully

More to come
Darren
Race it.