N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Mikes Exa - NZ

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

photoglossy wrote:The tubs are quite a structural point of the car. They will need to be given a bit of time thinking to sort out whats best.

Access will be easy later on too. I'll just have to unbolt the fuel tank and it'll be fully open again. I'm going to relocate the tank brackets and move them up closer to the the top corner (so the tank sits higher out of the way of things i might run over), then i can sit it on the RHS frame and bolt it down. I dunno if that makes sense, but you'll see in time.

Rear suspension? Im going to get some 6kg springs made up for the time being. I wont have time or money to fully look into sorting out the rear end before race day. Then after December 11th i gotta save my $ to come to your wedding! I think i'll be missing out on the Z track day too because i'll be in aussie :p But that ok haha.
awh sorry bout that lol
wouldnt u mount the fuel tank more on the LHS to counter the weight of the driver?
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

I would imagine that adding weight to the left rear would just make the balance worse... Adding weight to the front left would be the way to improve balance, but at the rear i would expect it to just screw the balance up further. Imagine going round a sharp righthand corner... if the car is pivoting from the centre then having two offset weights (right front and rear left) would make it want to spin right correct? Thats how it works in my head anyway...

I am putting the battery and the fuel pump/ surge tank on the passenger side as these are infront of the rear wheels so they should improve balance without having this negative effect.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

another thing to think about is most track rules mandate a solid firewall between you and a fuel cell/tank/swirl pot/pump...

C
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Then that may be a problem... I can see the common sense behind it tho. I might just revise my setup then.

Cheers mate!
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Timmzy

Fuel tanks and racing

Post by Timmzy »

Mike,

Adding to what Callum said, I went thru the CAMS stuff for your reference:

From Schedule B www.camsmanual.com.au

"Be fitted with a Bulkhead constructed from a flame - and liquid - proof material. If the material is clear it shall be a minimum of 6mm thick. This bulkhead shall effectively seal the cockpit from the fuel tank or re-fuelling system".

Additionally, because you have installed a fuel cell and you are not using the original tank, you have to comply with schedule N, which has all the specs and clearances in it for fuel cell/filler neck installation.

Of course its all bullshit to you because its from the CAMS manual not the CNZMS :) But I just thought I'd just add it in. THE REASON is because I had already done the research.......I want to install fuel pumps and catch cans, etc in the wheel well of my ET, but if I do that I have to make a false floor over everthing because its a hatch. You have the advantage of having the rear seat and creating a suitable firewall. But a dis-advantage of using the aftermarket fuel cell - in terms of regulation meeting.

I am sure the NZ stuff will be similar to CAMS anyway. They all seem to follow FIA rules.

Are you using foam in the fuel tanks to minimise fuel movement?

Overall it looks really impressive!! Lots of hours right there!! Might be worth keeping all the scrap metal you pulled out of it, then you can weigh it and have an idea of how much weight you have pulled out?? Just a suggestion.

Darren.
Race it.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Thanks for the links guys! Its all really confusing on theiw websites... but ill try and find what i need.

The tank came with foam in it so that's good

So by CAMS, i need to seal the rear off with a 6mm thick sheet of ally or something?! WOW! thats thick! Or am i reading it wrong?

I have kept all the steel so far, but there is a hard rubbish collection in about 2weeks time, so it'll all be chucked out before i finish the work. I'll give the car a weigh on the scales at the tip (if they let me) and see what it comes out at. 800kg would be nice :)
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

photoglossy wrote:Thanks for the links guys! Its all really confusing on theiw websites... but ill try and find what i need.

The tank came with foam in it so that's good

So by CAMS, i need to seal the rear off with a 6mm thick sheet of ally or something?! WOW! thats thick! Or am i reading it wrong?

I have kept all the steel so far, but there is a hard rubbish collection in about 2weeks time, so it'll all be chucked out before i finish the work. I'll give the car a weigh on the scales at the tip (if they let me) and see what it comes out at. 800kg would be nice :)
keep the steel just in case dude, comes in handy sometimes, then when you're done just donate it to a scrap yard, they will take it off your hands...
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Nah, I would assume you should stick to the NZ stuff. CAMS is for Australia only.. that's my understanding anyway.

I put it in there for your reference only, I didn't mean to confuse you sorry!!! :oops:

Darren.
Race it.
Kimmo

Re: Fuel tanks and racing

Post by Kimmo »

Timmzy wrote:If the material is clear it shall be a minimum of 6mm thick.
I took that to mean if it was perspex or something.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

oooh i thought they meant if the the liquid was clear :p

I think i need to speak to someone who has done it before!
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Got a helmet today

Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

from looking at your setup, you'd need to move the swirl pot back to the boot and the go under the car at that point. then fold a single piece of AL to screw in where the old seat back was, remember to carry it up over the parcel shelf to the windw.

C
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

I might have to do that then... hmm... Its not hard at all really, just means I have to buy a sheet of ally, and its not cheap!

I'll also have to mount my primary pump a bit lower down (lower than the tank outlet. Apparently the low pressure pumps struggle when they are mounted higher than the outlet.

Shouldnt be to difficult to set up, then i can just run the lines through the ally wall into the cabin, through the firewall to the rail. Ive seen that done plenty of times on race cars, so that'll be fine.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »