N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

My cheap ass boost controller

Post your articles here for review
Gary vcET

My cheap ass boost controller

Post by Gary vcET »

Hi fellas,
I have made myself a boost controller made from a strong spring ,piece of coathanger wire,metric bolt and a wing nut.

In the pic you can see that i have drilled a hole just on the side of the bolt so you can thread the wire thru that hooks onto the spring.
The small piece of hose is glued in place on the bolt so that i can take off the controller if i have to then put it back on and it will always be set at 16 pound and no more .

In the pic ,you need to hammer the end on the spring flat so it can be hooked on the start of the actuator where the little circlip is.

I have a bracket that is bolted to the gearbox and the end is welded onto a down pipe that my pod filter hangs off the end .
I have drilled a hole in the bracket just big enough for the bolt to poke thru and from there hook up the spring .
Tighten up the wing nut how ever much boost you want.
You may need to bolt up a bracket in this area for this controller

A weak spring will not hold a big amount of boost so make sure its pretty strong.

Length of the spring may be different for other turbos and trial and error is apart of making this.

Instead of a wing nut ,you can buy a bonnet release cable or a choke cable and connect that to the end of the spring and thread it thru the firewall.
Bolt up a bracket in the cabin ,may be near your seat or gear shift and cut some notches in the bracket and they will be the settings of the amount of different boost levels you can engage from the choke cable ETC.
I have yet to do this cable mod but trial and error for this one is need too.

My spring boost controller works perfectly and holds 16 pound accurately .
Go on give it a shot if you dont have a boost controller.

Gary ...
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

man, thats absolute gold! it reminds me of the legendry show "bush Mechanics" :lol: here's a bush mechanic tip for everyone, next time you get a flat tyre, fill the tyre up with grass and stuff and just keep driving :lol:
have you ever thought about working for MI6?
Gary vcET

Post by Gary vcET »

MI6 would be too much for me
Ill stick to the back yard jobs:D
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

I LOVE IT!!
MY CAR FOR SALE... see the for sale section

136.6kw @ 12psi, Microtech LT8s T28/25g hybrid.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

they made something like this on the Fj20 forums not as good as urs tho they just said buy some springs and give it a whirl lmao
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Gary vcET

Post by Gary vcET »

There is a brand of car i cant remember wheather is was Saab or another brand that had this spring on the turbo with the cable going into the cabin.
Its a damn good idea i think
angel

Post by angel »

i like the idea, would neve have thought of it, but it wont stop boost creep. but for the price, why not
Mods: GT28R, Microtech lt10s, stg3 cam, double valve springs, vn intake to vl external pump, mapassi @ 50psi, 3inch dump to 2 1/2 system, vl throttle, NPC clutch, 160HP @ wheels on 12psi

"power to the peaceful" Michael Frantii
joe_da_hoe

Post by joe_da_hoe »

im scared :shock: