N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

importing an N12 to Oz

Discuss local topics and organise meetings/ events here.
Insane tuning

importing an N12 to Oz

Post by Insane tuning »

Anyone know about or anyone i could get in contact with about bringing my N12 to Oz with me around Sept... i have a copy over here to ship it over but unsure of what to do when it get's to Oz.

By this i mean - i would of thought it would have to be checked out? if so cost's time taken? best place to get it imported to?

Familey are close to the Sunshine coast but also have friends in the south.

Just trying to get an idea of the Oz proceedures and cost's.

Thankyou for any help :D
Toby
Dans1983

Post by Dans1983 »

i know some of my mates got some cars shipped here from the USA and they sat on the docks for a bit while customs checked em out, i cant remember how long tho ...
Drrat, Drrat and Double Drrrat !! dont just sit there mutley do something!!!
Insane tuning

Post by Insane tuning »

Dans1983 wrote:i know some of my mates got some cars shipped here from the USA and they sat on the docks for a bit while customs checked em out, i cant remember how long tho ...
Cheers dude, there more then welcome to look at it, its like new :D , in the UK you put it through an SVA (check) then MOT (every car has one) and its ok.. costs about £300 all done i think.

Just unsure if i have to do anything Oz end.. possibly go see the shipping Company.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

make sure its deadly clean underneath as well. Im think if it isnt it can hold the process up at our end up.
Once here it will need to pass a roadworthy and because its a personal import of that age it shouldnt need much more than that.
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Insane tuning

Post by Insane tuning »

Panda_ET wrote:make sure its deadly clean underneath as well. Im think if it isnt it can hold the process up at our end up.
Once here it will need to pass a roadworthy and because its a personal import of that age it shouldnt need much more than that.
Cheers mate!!

Yer hopefully the underneath will have nice new stone chip :) just gotta pull my finger out to get it built before i come over as i have all the companys i know due to work and racing over here... there i know no-one!!
Well except my cousion and a familey friend both are older ladies who have no interest in cars.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

You need to be a permanent resident before you even think about it.
Import the car under the 15 year rule, it's a lot easier than importing as a private import. Less paperwork and less work trying to register it PLUS you don't need to prove how long you've owned it.

You will need deregistration papers from the current country and proof of ownership.

no matter what they tell you over here DO NOT remove any plates that your government has attatched EVEN IF THEY SAY YOU CAN.
I learnt the hard way and lost a car over it...

If you are moving over, consider a container. a 20' container will be big enough for both the car and a bunch of personal effects.

Customs are usually pretty relaxed unless the car is filthy. It's a lot easier to clean it like crazy BEFORE packing it up. Oh, and put a cover over it so it looks mint when they uncover it when they unpack the container.

Get a shipping agent to do the hard work for you, it will cost more but it's well worth it.
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
greengoblin

Post by greengoblin »

As Joel said

easiest method is to have a family member import it for you under the 15 year old rule pre 1988

you'll need to get an import approval ($50) before you have it shipped, you'll need to find a shipping company that ship to Brisbane (~$2-4K), and you'll require a customs agent to handle all the legalities/taxs for you. customs will quarintine the car regardless of cleanliness

you'll then require to get the car complianced to meet ADR regulations ($~1000), then roadworthy