N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

DID AFM RELOCATION, NOW CAR IDLES LIKE CRAP!!!!!!

General chat related to anything N12.
pulsarB

DID AFM RELOCATION, NOW CAR IDLES LIKE CRAP!!!!!!

Post by pulsarB »

Hi guys, i have just completed the afm relocation, but now my car idles pretty crappy, it is alright for the first five minutes (sits on about 1000 rpm) but then goes to about 500rpm any suggestions????? Also, the little pipe that comes of the rocker cover, does that hose need to be attached somewhere??? cos i have used mine to connect from the log to where i have now placed the afm.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

check the blue hosing on my engine, the rocker breather hose meets up with a brass 3 way joiner as well as the hose from the log end cap and then goes down to a connection between the turbo and AFM. hopefully this pic will help? my engine runs fine with this setup, except for cold starts, but when it's at operating temp runs beautifully.
:twisted:
daz

Post by daz »

Wow et.turbo.dude I can't believe someone actually is using my old setup ;)

I'm pretty sure I know why the cold idle isn't good enough... just can't pull enough air flow through the little pipe while cold

Come to think of it I remembered it idled really well for about 2 seconds while cold but then died in the arse it was however a good idea just needed some fine tuning

Have you stuck the cold idle stuff back in?

modxpp if you haven't stuck the idle control gear in you need to adjust the ilde at the TB it'll need to be opened up more because the idle control junk isn't there...

modxpp If you have... the idle control stuff isn't getting as much airflow as it used to you'll need to open up the idle control on the throttle body a little more than before and play around with the top idle control screw a bit (top screw on the 2/3 screw thing on the log?)

From what I recall I tried to open up the idle screw on the TB as much as possible so I could get the idle pretty much right so you could leave the idle control screw on the log pretty much closed ... This made the cold start better (I'm pretty sure it did anyway) as I guess its stealing less of the air that the cold start thingy would otherwise like to be using...

et.turbo.dude if you can do it easily (and cheaply) I'd definately consider doubling the size of the hose that connects the log to the piece off the turbo I don't think you'd need to go to a huge size exactly just slightly bigger should make it better say some water hose type fittings say 25-30mm type size? I reckon it would pretty much fix the cold idle problems make it idle like stock
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

yeah thanks mate^^, i might try the bigger hose. and yep, the cold idle gear is still there hooked up. :wink:
N12Turbo

Post by N12Turbo »

Yeah et.turbo.dude, text book example of retaining the idle control after relocating the AFM..

nice.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

that pipie should be large enough we runa few down here witha similar setup, and it handles dead cold tassie nights :P idles perfectly
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
daz

Post by daz »

Well I wrote the textbook ;)

But if you can get yours to idle better than et.turbo.dude then throw in some suggestions...

Mine is only from memory and what I'd have thought would make a difference...

Consider your cold idle valve while cold it'll be totally open and I guess it makes a good point that the opening isn't really all that big but you've also got the idle control valve sucking some of the cold idle air... I'd have simply guessed that maybe the turbo sucks the air out of the log? or maybe because there's only a small opening the engine can't suck enough air into the log?

I'd have said it idles well for the first few seconds because there's air on the log at startup it can use but from there it can't keep the log filled with air due to the turbo sucking all available air in?

Or maybe... I'm just guessing

There's a few possibilities and without properly understanding the physics of it all I reckon its pretty cost effective just to experiment a bit
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

our kit is pretty much the same i cant see why his would idle any different, maybe we use a larger hose but we've never had issues. kinget on here has one he has never complained and he lives in a cold shithole called hobart :P cold idle is exactly the same as when its completely stock
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
daz

Post by daz »

The hose I used was very small from memory... bigger the better imo
N12Turbo

Post by N12Turbo »

As far as I can tell, as long as the pipe is the same size as the one running from idle sensor to inlet plenum then it should be fine.. No need to go any bigger as that will be the bottle neck in the system.

Dave
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

ahh soemthing i only just noticed on Et turbos dudes setup is that it has the breather hose T pieced in, ours isnt we have 2 outlets at the turbo end
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
daz

Post by daz »

Dave makes a good point...

the size of the outlet on the cold idle up jobbie isn't too big so as long as its a semi decent size it should be fine... I used small arse hose on mine was very stupid in hindsight
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

i just have to butt in here, i've put my intake setup back to factory (for a roadworthy) and it's still running a bit crappy when cold. but when it's warm is totally fine, so i think the AFM relocation had nothing to do with my cold start problems.
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

I ran darrens setup on my first ET... seemed like a massive job back then HA but ran perfectly.
MY CAR FOR SALE... see the for sale section

136.6kw @ 12psi, Microtech LT8s T28/25g hybrid.