N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Fan question

General chat related to anything N12.
N12turbo_DK2300

Fan question

Post by N12turbo_DK2300 »

Hi
I've been wondering for some time about the fans mounted at the radiator. There are two fans, and from what I can read in Haynes, the smaller one should be the cooling fan (placed closer to the temp switch in the radiator), and the bigger one should be a "Auxiliary cooling fan for turbocharger".

In real life, the big one spins when triggering the switch in the radiator (so opposite of what Haynes says), and small one never seems to run. Been unable to find any electrical diagram showing the fans.

So the question here: Are they both supposed to run when temp.sw. in radiator kicks in? ...or what would trigger the secondary fan?

The car: N12 turbo, Europe version. No A/C (no cars had in here in the 80'). Cooling etc seems original/untampered.

Cheers.
fitzmooney

Post by fitzmooney »

The second fan is triggered by the thermo-couple in the exhaust manifold.
Also both fans come on when you have A/C.
N12turbo_DK2300

So the EGT sensor will also start this this fan if required?

Hmmm... I'm considering to wire one (or both...) the fan to a button in the dashboard, to perform extra cooling before parking on warm days/after driving in rush hours.
boosted

Post by boosted »

N12turbo_DK2300 wrote:So the EGT sensor will also start this this fan if required?

Hmmm... I'm considering to wire one (or both...) the fan to a button in the dashboard, to perform extra cooling before parking on warm days/after driving in rush hours.
Yip.
Do you have the turbo-supplement manual?
On page LC-10 you will find the wiring diagram of the fans.
cheers
N12turbo_DK2300

Nope. Only book I got, is the Haynes. Guess I should try to hunt down others as well :)
boosted

Post by boosted »

N12turbo_DK2300 wrote:Nope. Only book I got, is the Haynes. Guess I should try to hunt down others as well :)
The turbo supplement used to be downloadable in the forum. Is it still around guys?
DK2300: you can also write me your email-address via pn.
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KiloooNL »

boosted wrote:
N12turbo_DK2300 wrote:Nope. Only book I got, is the Haynes. Guess I should try to hunt down others as well :)
The turbo supplement used to be downloadable in the forum. Is it still around guys?
DK2300: you can also write me your email-address via pn.
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=773
N12turbo_DK2300

Wow guys! Much more than I expected. Awesome :) All links worked... I''ll be reading (and start looking in my engine compartment for things I didn't know existed).

Honestly, I just looked for a few minutes - but the sensor in the uhmm. "downpipe" just after the Turbo. I was under the assumption it was used to correct fuel/air mixture based on temperature (lean/rich), but all it does is control the fan?

Again. A thousand thanks. I know what I'll be reading this summer :-D
N12turbo_DK2300

Darn it... couldn't let it go, and now it is 30 past midnight.

I'm learning everyday here, and seems all manuals/pictures often confuses me in the differences or European models, and US/Canadian (and not sure which one the Australian version is most alike?).

It seems the US version has two "things" in the "exhaust outlet" (the one I referred to as downpipe in the reply above) - a thick and a thin sensor.
My European car only has the thin one, that (as I guess now) is not the "Exhaust Gas Sensor", but then simply the sensor for the fan? (which in no pictures is described as anything...)
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KiloooNL »

The big 'fat' thing on the dump is the O2 sensor, only seen on post-86 ET's. It's a narrowband and is, for all intensive purposes, useless. It just alters fueling when cruising at high speeds and not WOT.

The thin sensor is for the additional fan as has been pointed out. The O2 sensor is not in the manual as it was not brought in till 86 and the manual was never revised to reflect the 86 model.
N12turbo_DK2300

Kilooonl: it is mentioned in the "Nissan_Pulsar_NX_Turbo_1983_Service_Manual" (link in previous post) at several pages. For instance EF & EC-3 EF &EC-8 and so on.

Anyway, mine hasn't got it (European standards were low in '85), so one less thing to struggle with :)

...but also mean this is not the reason why me engine runs a bit lean. Hmm...

But hey, first step was to look at getting the aux fan spinning, and plenty of info for that now.

Again, thanks both of you for the links. Highly appreciated.
fitzmooney

Post by fitzmooney »

All you got to do is disconnect the power wire of the aux fan at the thermo-couple control box, above the radiator and connect it to the power wire of the primary fan.