N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Any coders in the house?

General chat related to anything N12.
Kimmo

Any coders in the house?

Post by Kimmo »

So here's a thought...

I got some arduinos (the things are so cheap I grabbed a couple of spares; $2.80 each!) to make an electronic shifting system for one of my bikes, and I've been trying to wrap my head around C++... it's fairly heavy going, but not as bad as I thought it'd be... after a day or two's struggle I've managed to get the basic version of my code working. Lots of fun when it works...

Anyway, I suddenly realised this tiny little thing probably has enough IO and grunt to do a better job than the stock N12 ECU, given enough code... it's a 32-bit processor running at 16MHz.

$2.80 is a shitload cheaper than what you'll pay for an aftermarket ECU.
Denied

Post by Denied »

I've thought about this quite a lot as well, given the grunt available in a lot of the all in one solutions available now, it's definitely do-able. Issue is the time involved and the other options already out there... Megasquirt instantly comes to mind, given the number of revisions it is now up to, most of the teething issues will have been sorted out...

I was a software developer in a previous role and given how much rework is involved in getting something to work both reliably and well makes me always question re-inventing stuff that is already out there.

The other thing is that when you fsck up coding you get a some errors on the screen and maybe the text you were expecting doesn't appear... fsck up an engine management system and you grenade your engine... which I spose is a pretty good incentive to get it right :)